Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that piece...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Can't make any sense of that melody I'm afraid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4quKyrOVww&feature=related

Not that one for sure then? It was on the old RIAM Grade VIII and fits your description...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It should sound like this

Untitled_mixdown.zip

That sounds familiar...I'll have a think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Here's a brief piano tune form the radio.

This is the melody (as near as I can get it):
    unknownpianotunezq2.jpg

Below, there's a zipped mp3 sound clip (grabbed using the handy Freecorder).

Sounds late 18th to early 19th century - quite like Mozart, though not from any of his sonatas. Musipedia doesn't know it, and there's no info or means of contact on the Radio 4 program page.

Anyone recognise it? Thanks.

whats the name of this piece of music, its used in the episode where homer gets his hair back using a hair product, it was an old episode. When he gets "the key", theres some very interesting music being played in Mr. Burns hall. The episode is called simpson-and-delilah

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

It's from the first movement of Debussy's string quartet in g min, op 10:

thanks, Debussy is great, nicely weird piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Hey, does anyone know what piece TV3 used for their advert for Dirty Money? I adore it and can't find the name anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Hey guys can anyone figure out this tune for me. I would appreciate it greatly. follow the instructions below

click on Episode 2 (26th Jan) in the link posted below.....then go to exactly 41min:37sec (towards the end) on the media player.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/charliebird/av_index.html

The tune is played after the part where your man with a microphone is counting down 10 ..9..8..7. etc and when they land the ship precisely on the North Pole point. Thats the tune im looking for. I would really love to know that tune. Its not hoppipolla by Sigur Ros but the tune sounds like something that Sigur Ros would produce.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mac707

Hello to all who are concerned, many years ago there was a Hennessy ad on irish television screens and i have been searching for the music that accompanied it ever since. The ad had people walking a beach and then ending up in a bar if my memory serves me correct. The music style had a classic piano sound, a kind of ambient piece. If anyone can help me find out the name of the artist or song it would be very much appreciated. To refresh your memory the music is in this video between the seconds 2:50 and 3:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gwMDeXaLs&feature=related Thank you for reading and i hope you can help.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Moved post into the "What's that piece...?" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

mac707 wrote: »
    Hello to all who are concerned, many years ago there was a Hennessy ad on irish television screens and i have been searching for the music that accompanied it ever since. The ad had people walking a beach and then ending up in a bar if my memory serves me correct. The music style had a classic piano sound, a kind of ambient piece. If anyone can help me find out the name of the artist or song it would be very much appreciated. To refresh your memory the music is in this video between the seconds 2:50 and 3:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gwMDeXaLs&feature=related Thank you for reading and i hope you can help.

Here you go:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Does anyone have any idea where the melody for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star comes from.

A heard a piece of classical music, and it was in the middle of it, but i wasn't able to find out at the time, where it came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

queen-mise wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea where the melody for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star comes from.

A heard a piece of classical music, and it was in the middle of it, but i wasn't able to find out at the time, where it came from.

Mozart: Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman. It was originally a French folk song for which Mozart wrote 12 variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Aye. Same melody is used in Baa Baa Black Ship and The Alphabet song.

Damn melody pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

queen-mise wrote: »

If it was in the middle of a piece, then maybe it was Haydn's Symphony No. 94 (the 'Surprise'). In the second movement, Haydn used a very closely-related theme to the tune from the French nursery rhyme and the piano variations by his friend Mozart (pointed out above).

Haydn wrote the Surprise in 1791 for a visit to London, and though the English words of TTLS weren't written until 1806, I guess the tune would have been well known to his audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I recognise the Haydn one. Thanks very much for your help. Really enjoyed listening to it again. Time to go searching through the hubby's classical music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

darjeeling wrote: »
    If it was in the middle of a piece, then maybe it was Haydn's Symphony No. 94 (the 'Surprise'). In the second movement, Haydn used a very closely-related theme to the tune from the French nursery rhyme and the piano variations by his friend Mozart (pointed out above).

Haydn wrote the Surprise in 1791 for a visit to London, and though the English words of TTLS weren't written until 1806, I guess the tune would have been well known to his audience.

Mozart wrote Twelve Variations of the French folk song Ah vous dirai-je, Maman in 1781/2, nine or ten years before Haydn’s Surprise Symphony. Haydn’s theme is quite different.

The poem, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, was written by the English poet, Jane Taylor in 1806, and is sung to the original folk song (first published 1761), that Mozart used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

hey there - thought if anyone might know you guys might!!!!

I've searched here for ''sunday miscellany'' but can't find aything - can anyone tell me what the theme tune was? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

artyeva wrote: »
    hey there - thought if anyone might know you guys might!!!!

I've searched here for ''sunday miscellany'' but can't find aything - can anyone tell me what the theme tune was? :confused:

It may have been one of the Brandenburg Concertos by Bach, but I'm going on distant and hazy memory now.

The Sunday Miscellany theme tune is a piece by the composer Samuel Scheidt named "Galliard bataglia".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

thanks a million Doshea3 - you're a star!!!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Doshea3 wrote: »
    The Sunday Miscellany theme tune is a piece by the composer Samuel Scheidt named "Galliard bataglia".

Ah. Er...was I thinking of Antiques Roadshow, then?

You're welcome artyeva. Mad Hatter—I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

banquo wrote: »
    Aye. Same melody is used in Baa Baa Black Ship and The Alphabet song.

Damn melody pirates.

Don't they know that musical quotations are killing music?!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Can anyone tell me what song the guy is playing on the piano please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

Sounds like he's just improvising in a vaguely Phillip Glass / triadic-minamalist style. Not all that interesting. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ok, this one is driving me nuts... its a composition for marimba(s), probably from the last 20-30 years and I know it was in a movie soundtrack, maybe it was the main theme. I can't think of the movie :( The style is pretty minimalist and the melody is very catchy and recognisable. I wish I could hum it for you but I can't :p any suggestions? Its a bit vague I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

Sounds like the main theme to True Romance, one of the only Hans Zimmer scores I can bare. Not that the score itself is great, just I quite like that theme.

I'm sure you can find it on YouTube to check if it's what you meant.

Advertisement