Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you play a trad instrument?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I play the piano accordion and a little guitar. Its good to see trad being kept alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Madra_Rua

I play flute, tin whistle, bodhrán, bones and have been known to sing a song every now and then... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Trad. Flute, Tinwhistle, Metalwhistle. Started Tinwhistle when I was about 5/6 years old, and then moved on to Trad. Flute at about 14 (19 now).
    Can play trad. on the guitar reasonably well too, but much rather the Flute tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mad Hare

Hi All been playing for over twenty years mainly guitar and Bodhran, Started off on the whistle, and moved on to guitar bodhran, mandoline, banjo (4stringer), learning fiddle and on top of it do a bit of singing, ahh ya have to!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PatsyTyrrell

can anyone tell me where to start on playing the tune THE LONESOME BOATMAN????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Cateym

At the high E

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

Betsy wrote: »
    I play the flute, love it, and wish I could get to more sessions :(

what part of the planet are you roughly? i'm always up for a seisiun

tom

ps i play guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I'm a beginner on the bodhran, learning in a group - I sarted that after being invited, by the bodhrani who was leaving, to join a VERY friendly session in Killarney and actually holding out :) Would gladly try joining somewhere around Limerick - or if anyone else is on my side of town (I'm in Crecora) would love to just meet up and try rolling our own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 seaoomaol

yes uilleanns and amall pipes and highland pipes whistles and do vocals in a group,,

Plenty around Limerick contact Perry Hotel they have a contact for the pipers good guys there ..

• Advertisement

Waterford City..

good nothing like it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 0Erin0

I've just started to play the flute again (was out of practise) and I play tin whistle but not very well...difficult to find someone who teach that around here...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I done a lesson on the tin whistle a few years ago.I have played it sporadically since.I am thinking of getting a banjo and doing lessons after Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

I teach the fiddle and traditional singing lessons.Also play the button accordian,drums and guitar..will try my hand at anything!!Am also a member of Craobh Séan Treacy CCE.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I play fiddle, though I would love to play the bouzouki, I was thinking of teaching myself but then got too lazy. Oh well, maybe over the summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Phantom

I play a few bits. Mostly guitar and fiddle. Tip away on the mandolin, banjo and piano too. Play the sax (alto) when I'm home alone ;) and the drums.
    Have been known to arse around with a tin whistle and mouth organ at times.

Fiddle is my number one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

"o my god"
    I have a sick voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i wrestle with uilleanns, need to get back practisin again, got a load of whistle lessons last year in leitrim, its v.handy for learnin tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Phantom

Been playing the fiddle for nearly 1 1/2 years now. Played a set of three reels along with fionn seisuin CD the other night, without making a mistake.. you gotta love this music.

Also play guitar for 15yrs, piano 3yrs, mandolin, banjo, saxaphone, drums and a bit on the harp, although I'm only just messin with the harp really. ooh and the triangle too.... wickid instrument :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭KeithMaster

''o my god'' i have a very sick voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dryada

I play guitar, but I prefer to sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

place your vids of your attempts here, i stuck me friends up, so i suppose its only fair i should stick my sad effort on whistle or pipes up. ill do it this week. be prepared to listen to tunes being played wrong and notes missing! mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got a bodhran a few weeks ago, I haven't put a whole lot of practice in but I've just got the hang of using the top of the stick. I think I'm on the right track but it would be nice to get someone who knows what there doing to give me a few tips. Is there anywhere around Galway that could do this?

Is there anywhere I can get some (free) music to play along to that's minus the bodhran?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

ScumLord wrote: »
    I got a bodhran a few weeks ago, I haven't put a whole lot of practice in but I've just got the hang of using the top of the stick. I think I'm on the right track but it would be nice to get someone who knows what there doing to give me a few tips. Is there anywhere around Galway that could do this?

Is there anywhere I can get some (free) music to play along to that's minus the bodhran?

Here's some inspiration for ya:
    Eamonn Murray:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8n9DF4HWjV4&feature=related

John Joe Kelly:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wntaX0EafFs

Eamonn Murray and Colm Phelan:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-aN1uY4DLqI

Any amount of music to play along to on youtube, not the above, but proper tunes to play along with, I'll post some up if i get a chance.

Edit: here's some sets to play along to..

Some reels:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1K5BCtLY8
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga4qocQkH0A

And jigs:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=IpR2jGWEVuU
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJZSG1YW4Q

Also, great archive and new trad video daily here:
    http://comhaltas.ie/music/archive/C62/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nicolameehan

Hey everyone.

Just new to this forum..but it's great to see so many messages up about trad music! :)

I play the button accordian, the bodhran, guitar (& I'm just learning the banjo now). I'm originally from the uk & now living back in ireland, and haven't played trad music regularly since i moved over (about 7 years ago!).

If anyone's living in the Lucan/Celbridge/Leixlip/Maynooth area and fancies getting together for a few sessions (or possible a bit of money-making gigs), please let me know! Would love to get back into playing & I have no idea where sessions are on in my area...any ideas?

Thanks a mill, Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 19 me!

yup. play the whistle, flute, low whistle, fiddle, mandolin and harp. love trad to bits!!!!! only started it a few years ago but i seriously cannot imagine my life without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Howya ye doing atall?
    Just wandered into this forum and found this thread so i decided to register.
    I play the Accordian, Flute and Whistle myself although I'm no Mike McGoldrick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I play flute, whistle, and piano and I sing. Studying music in college. Trad is my performance major. I love it. I also teach whistle and flute.

Also play a bit of drums and guitar, but not trad. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

good ol fashioned button accordion, played for years as a young lad and went to countless fleadh ceoils and ceoltas's. after a 10 year break i dusted it off and back to practicing! :D

Advertisement