Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Is the documenary "Sherpa" available to watch anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Would you agree that it tells you how highly thought of someone is that €260,000 is raised for their recovery in a matter of 5 days?
    I am sure some here will put it down to the trinity elite, rich mountaineering culture, supposed deception regarding the purpose of the go fund me ……...blah blah yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

redmgar wrote: »
    Would you agree that it tells you how highly thought of someone is that €260,000 is raised for their recovery in a matter of 5 days?
    I am sure some here will put it down to the trinity elite, rich mountaineering culture, supposed deception regarding the purpose of the go fund me ……...blah blah yawn.

They thought they were donating to search and rescue for a live man. Quite different to the recovery operation that is being proposed now.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    They thought they were donating to search and rescue for a live man. Quite different to the recovery operation that is being proposed now.
    There's one bingo square marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There's one bingo square marked.

It's a massively valid point, a quick look at the comments will show you hat ordinary people in their naivety are donating thinking they are helping to locate a missing person not a body.

You can as sarky as you like but that's the truth of it and why people here are a little miffed. It's the deception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

SusieBlue wrote: »

How come you know this, yet have the arrogance along with others to assume anyone donating to the fund does not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

People are gullible, caught up in the whole legend of Everest, rather than doing some research into this guys own stupidity before donating.

A bit like yourself, foolishly thinking he was some experienced mountaineer, just because he was spinning some happy clappy yarn to your kids.

Did he tell your kids that if climbers see somebody dying on Everest they would step over their body in pursuit of their own agenda. You bet he ****ing didn't.

Did he tell your kids that peoples corpses get tossed over the side so as not to spoil the view for the next group of holidaymakers, you bet he fcuking didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Allinall wrote: »
    How come you know this, yet have the arrogance along with others to assume anyone donating to the fund does not?
    There was comments removed from the go fund me which stated he was dead. How would most people know?

Are you arguing that they should know even though the campaign was withholding information?

It's a massively valid point, a quick look at the comments will show you hat ordinary people in their naivety are donating thinking they are helping to locate a missing person not a body.

You can as sarky as you like but that's the truth of it and why people here are a little miffed. It's the deception
    I don't think deception is the appropriate word, when this GoFundMe was created there was maybe a chance he would be rescued (at least to the non-mountaineer). To change the description on the page now without any official update would be horrible for the family.

Deception implies deceit or fraud which is simply not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Because it literally said it on the Go Fund Me page. Did you even read it?
    The insurance company that had provided a policy for Séamus (Shay) are currently not providing assistance with the search and rescue.

The above was taken directly from the fundraiser. Well intentioned comments saying RIP and suggesting a recovery operation was dangerous were deleted quick fast.

What would that indicate to you? How would people donating know it was a recovery mission when the fundraiser doesn't even say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It's an extraordinary amount in such a short space of time. And really it was the 24 hours post the RTE News segment that got the bulk of the money in. It's been just a slow steady increase since then. Perhaps it's an indicator of the value of a free advert on the RTE News!

I'm not a prolific user of Facebook and Twitter but it hasn't shown up on either of my feeds. I'm sure it's on social media of course, but I don't think it can be regarded as a viral social media event. I think the bulk of the publicity came from RTE.

jasper100 wrote: »
    People are gullible, caught up in the whole legend of Everest, rather than doing some research into this guys own stupidity before donating.

A bit like yourself, foolishly thinking he was some experienced mountaineer, just because he was spinning some happy clappy yarn to your kids.

Did he tell your kids that if climbers see somebody dying on Everest they would step over their body in pursuit of their own agenda. You bet he ****ing didn't.

Did he tell your kids that peoples corpses get tossed over the side so as not to spoil the view for the next group of holidaymakers, you bet he fcuking didn't.
    Yep he came into a room of 8 year olds and said all these things...….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

No I wouldn't agree in the slightest.

Bloody good marketing by an online marketing expert, Olivia Waters , ADAPT Marketing & Communications Manager, Computer Science, Trinity College.

The wording makes it out like it's from his wife, and refers to the fact he was on a mission "to raise vital funds on behalf of Barretstown, a charity that provides respite and recreation to children with serious illnesses."

Heartstrings tugged beyond repair.

It was being called a rescue mission. More BS.

Young child and wife pregnant 4 months reported by the media. More heartstrings yanked from their roots.

It's an emotional relatable plea, people bought into it, just an ordinary Joe Soap with a family doing his best to help a children's charity and he now needs ours to be rescued.

Pure nonsense.

Because that's what the go fund me page was advertising. A lot of the comment, even today agree with this.

7 hours ago

Family is so important and it's vital that we all connect and support each other. I hope you find him. I'm hope he's ok. Sending you love and support. My little donation may not be much but together with all the others, will help.

9 hours ago

and please know it's not foregone conclusion that this man is gone just look up Mount Everest climber last name Beck from Texas he actually walked himself to Basecamp 2 when was helicoptered out by the Pakistani military if anybody knows the altitude where he was last seen and what he has on him for 02 and Sterno to make water you could very well survive.

(Above is from 1996, long before they all had GPS etc.)

So even today people are donating on the basis that this person may be alive.

Yep he came into a room of 8 year olds and said all these things...….

Of course he didn't, he spun out a romantic yarn about Everest and how great he was and ye lapped it up. Including yourself seeing as you seemed to think he was an experience mountaineer after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bellends are all that go to Everest now.

Is this your way of announcing your Everest expedition? Godspeed.

Hoboo wrote: »
    No I wouldn't agree in the slightest.

Bloody good marketing by an online marketing expert, Olivia Waters , ADAPT Marketing & Communications Manager, Computer Science, Trinity College.

The wording makes it out like it's from his wife, and refers to the fact he was on a mission "to raise vital funds on behalf of Barretstown, a charity that provides respite and recreation to children with serious illnesses."

Heartstrings tugged beyond repair.

It was being called a rescue mission. More BS.

Young child and wife pregnant 4 months reported by the media. More heartstrings yanked from their roots.

It's an emotional relatable plea, people bought into it, just an ordinary Joe Soap with a family doing his best to help a children's charity and he now needs ours to be rescued.

Pure nonsense.

Here is what one of his professor colleagues told RTE about the go fund me drive.

"We are extremely distressed at what has happened on Mount Everest and we hope that he is found safely as soon as possible."

It was all presented as an urgent rush to find him alive.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Is this your way of announcing your Everest expedition? Godspeed.
    I'll donate to the go fundmecampaign, although I hear K2 is good this time of year.

I don't think deception is the appropriate word, when this GoFundMe was created there was maybe a chance he would be rescued (at least to the non-mountaineer). To change the description on the page now without any official update would be horrible for the family.

Deception implies deceit or fraud which is simply not the case.

But it is deception, comments are being censored on the gofundme page, the page makes out that the insurance are bad guys and won't assist when the reality is they won't assist because they know the poor soul is gone. It also makes out he was out there raising vital funds for Barretstown, that's an out an out lie.

A quick look at the comments on gofundme and people are saying they hope he is found safe and well.

I can understand starting the gofundme in a state of shock or trying to do something, that's actually commendable but to allow it continue when there is no chance of rescue is deceitful

But it is deception, comments are being censored on the gofundme page, the page makes out that the insurance are bad guys and won't assist when the reality is they won't assist because they know the poor soul is gone. It also makes out he was out there raising vital funds for Barretstown, that's an out an out lie.

A quick look at the comments on gofundme and people are saying they hope he is found safe and well.

I can understand starting the gofundme in a state of shock or trying to do something, that's actually commendable but to allow it continue when there is no chance of rescue is deceitful

Again one of his Trinity professor bellend colleagues, was ramping the charity angle to RTE news. Peddling downright lies.

His decision to climb Mount Everest to support the Barretstown children's charity

• Advertisement

Do we know the comments are being censored? And if they are comments like "he is dead" then I can understand this as they would be inappropriate.

As for Barretstown, they crew had two campaigns one directly to Barretstown and a second which was funding the trip and any money exceeding the cost of the trip would go to Barretstown. This is stated on the page so I don't see any lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Do we know the comments are being censored? And if they are comments like "he is dead" then I can understand this as they would be inappropriate.

As for Barretstown, they crew had two campaigns one directly to Barretstown and a second which was funding the trip and any money exceeding the cost of the trip would go to Barretstown. This is stated on the page so I don't see any lies.

No, its not inappropriate to tell the truth about what you are paying for when you donate to a gofund me campaign

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Here is what one of his professor colleagues told RTE about the go fund me drive.

"We are extremely distressed at what has happened on Mount Everest and we hope that he is found safely as soon as possible."

You'd really have to question how some of these people got to be professors given how a person with very little intelligence could tell you he was a goner once he fell off the main trail. Maybe it was a facade for the sake of his wife.

This whole fiasco does not reflect well on the Trinity establishment.

Yes, comments asking about what the funds would actually be used for were removed.

The gofundme makes out that the main purpose of this challenge was to raise funds when it simply wasn't. That's a really ****ty thing to do tbh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

No, its not inappropriate to tell the truth about what you are paying for when you donate to a gofund me campaign

If that is happening the page should be reported to go fund me as they are raising money under false pretences.

You'd really have to question how some of these people got to be professors given how a person with very little intelligence could tell you he was a goner once he fell off the main trail. Maybe it was a facade for the sake of his wife.

I fully understand their immediate reaction to set up a search fund etc.

But once it became obvious that this was no longer the case they could have updated the go fund me inofrmation.

There are still people donating today believing he might be found alive.

Do we know if any comments were deleted? Honest question. Or is hearsay?

if people donate to a gofundme, abandoning any common sense to do so, hey good luck its their money

but rah-rah reporting of foolish behaviour like this and getting p1ssy when any reaction falls below "what an hero" is moronic

a quality media reports this in three lines on the day and never returns to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

That quote was given hours after the incident and was completely accurate at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They have a link on their homepage to his gofundme, I am quite shocked by this. I am sure there are many staff/students that are ill or could require funding that will be asking can their gfm pages be put on the main webpage

Advertisement