Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alice in Chains, Olympia May 20

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Really excited for Belfast tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

porcupine3 wrote: »
    I've been going to rock/metal gigs in Dublin for oooh about 38 years and that was the most involved I've seen any crowd. The place was full of die hard fans who sang their hearts out and in fairness were well behaved so we all got a chance to enjoy it. In fact most of the time I couldn't hear William DuVall just the lads behind me who weren't too bad at all! It was a fantastic gig. A great set and they just got to it without any waffle. Obviously the older stuff went down REALLY well, but I was there to hear them perform some of the stuff of The Devil.. and Rainier Fog and they didn't disappoint. The crowd were a bit muted by comparison (just a bit!) for the newer stuff and that suited me fine as I think Rainier Fog is a really good album. I don't think the sound was 100% though. Sean Kinney is one understated drummer, and a cool dude. I've waited a long time to see Alice in Chains and they were just awesome. Lots of highlights, Rooster to close the night is hard to beat.

Very much agree with what you said here. Actually saw them last year at Rock Werchter but was way too hammered on Belgian beer to appreciate/take in properly. Especially appreciating how cool a dude Sean Kinney is. A machine on those drums.

Mike Inez at the end of the gig was nearly in tears saying how much he appreciated the crowd, etc. Also, I think he must have pointed and smiled to every single person in the crowd throughout the gig.

Those lights were fairly bright! They were basically stadium lights in the Olympia!

Great crowd. Minimal phones and just everyone getting into the music. How any gig should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'd much prefer that to people standing in stony silence for the whole gig! :D Shows that people are into it. Not a problem for me.
    Dont get me wrong I like it for parts, choruses etc, just don't see the need for it through every song.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Off to see them again in Wembley Arena on Saturday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Have to say that gig totally blew me away. Crowd were brilliant. Very little phone crap and no messy feckers banging into everyone. Great buzz everywhere in venue. Been a huge fan since i got Dirt on cassette in the mid 90s. Welled up a little during Rooster i must admit :)
    Enjoy Belfast you lucky sods!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 porcupine3

Does the constant singing along bother anyone else. Great crowd and all, but it does drown out the band and sound smore like a sing along or karaoke.
    Noticed it a lot at Eddie Vedder in the point too. Theres so much singing along that you cant hear the band.

Just need to turn up the P.A. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

Loved it, Mike was emotional at the end alright, I love when a band knows it's appreciated. Really great night. love the singing along, shows there's real fans there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Loved it, Mike was emotional at the end alright, I love when a band knows it's appreciated. Really great night. love the singing along, shows there's real fans there.

Hopefully they'll be back again sooner. Mind blowing its taken them so long to play a headline show here.

D.Q wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll be back again sooner. Mind blowing its taken them so long to play a headline show here.

For sure.......been starved of a headline gig since the SFX!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Grid. wrote: »
    Off to see them again in Wembley Arena on Saturday!!!

Also going to that one. Should be a cracker!

• Advertisement

Also going to that one. Should be a cracker!

Good man......enjoy!!;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

Great gig alright, everything covered except.......What was the story with support? They were woejus. Awful awful stuff and completely unsuited to the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Adrift wrote: »
    Great gig alright, everything covered except.......What was the story with support? They were woejus. Awful awful stuff and completely unsuited to the gig.

I didn't go in for the support but it's a pity we didn't get BRMC!

I didn't go in for the support but it's a pity we didn't get BRMC!

Shame alright....was looking forward to seeing them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Missed out on a ticket for this . Raging. Sounds like it was a twat free zone free of the insta poser set. Great sign of a gig if everyone was singing along. They weren’t there just to be there.
    Did they play many of the Duvall era tunes?

Hopefully some good quality live videos from festivals show up online in the next few months.

grenadino wrote: »
    Missed out on a ticket for this . Raging. Sounds like it was a twat free zone free of the insta poser set. Great sign of a gig if everyone was singing along. They weren’t there just to be there.
    Did they play many of the Duvall era tunes?

Hopefully some good quality live videos from festivals show up online in the next few months.

Your Decision, Check My Brain, Rainier Fog, Hollow, Never Fade, Stone, Red Giant.

Definitely free of the poser types. I think metal type crowds are the best kind

Just remembered William DuVall was wearing a Thin Lizzy t-shirt!

Just remembered William DuVall was wearing a Thin Lizzy t-shirt!

JFlolV3.jpg?1

Belfast was incredible tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

It was, however, no “we die young”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

Olympia was brilliant. The whole evening actually was class. In Foggy Dew beforehand people were in great form and almost giddy with excitement.
    It was like Messi was coming for a kick around in your back yard!!

Gig was sensational. Band and crowd in great form and so loud. So many highlights, Them Bones, Check my brain, Dam that River, Man in Box, Rooster
    Best I was ever at and this is now the benchmark as to how all other gigs will be judged. It will be hard/impossible to top it.

Special mention to cover band Angry Chair in fibbers afterwards.. They were excellent complete with a mohawked crowd surfer it rounded off the night in style.. Still buzzing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I wonder was that the guy in the Mohawk who was in one of the boxes in the Olympia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

s8n wrote: »
    I wonder was that the guy in the Mohawk who was in one of the boxes in the Olympia ?
    looked like him..

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Your Decision, Check My Brain, Rainier Fog, Hollow, Never Fade, Stone, Red Giant.

Definitely free of the poser types. I think metal type crowds are the best kind

Indeed. I haven't been to many metal gigs over the years, but the last one I went to, CoC, or was it Mastodon in the Academy was the same. Small venue. Everyone into the gig. Contrast it to the Arcade Fire gig in Malahide Castle, which seemed to be more like people in the pub with music in the background, as opposed to people going to a gig to watch and listen to the band.
    Saying that, I went to see a Spanish indie rock band in the Button factory recently and it was brilliant. Crowd were well into it, but maybe because they were mainly expat Spanish at the gig...

Rossie11 wrote: »
    looked like him..

Noticed him as well. Apparently Mike Inez gave them passes for some reason.

s8n wrote: »
    It was, however, no “we die young”

Yeah but we got Heaven Beside You and I adore that track so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Super gig last night, Cantrell really is a God and Kinney is an absolute power house. Duvall is also doing a great job!

Super gig last night, Cantrell really is a God and Kinney is an absolute power house. Duvall is also doing a great job!

Don't forget poor aul Mike!

Still on a high from it

they really slowed down some of the songs compared to the album.

Them bones, dam this river, would? all much slower

• Advertisement
Advertisement