Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

baaba maal wrote: »
    Carbery!

That ship sailed around this time last season

Carberry will be on the bench for 10....he will not be playing 15...if Ireland wanted that then he would still be at Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

awec wrote: »
    Kearney has no leverage. He won't get a central deal.

He's old, he definitely won't make it to another world cup, he's no longer a guaranteed starter, and Ireland will be going through a bit of a transition next year anyway with the new coaching ticket. Bad time to be negotiating really, if he goes elsewhere post World Cup then so be it, if he wants one last big contract then he'll definitely get one in France.

"he's no longer a guaranteed starter" on what evidence?
    Best 15 we have
    Might be worth keeping him through the next 6 nations to give the new management team some stability. Sorely missed V England and give Larmour/Stockdale a chance to bed in as 15's (i view both as better wingers but i don't see a better alternative at 15)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That ship sailed around this time last season

Carberry will be on the bench for 10....he will not be playing 15...if Ireland wanted that then he would still be at Leinster

That was my (poor) attempt at winding people up. I would like to see Addison there for a bit, himself and Larmour offer different things at 15.

baaba maal wrote: »
    That was my (poor) attempt at winding people up. I would like to see Addison there for a bit, himself and Larmour offer different things at 15.

Use the smiley faces :p

I would love to see Carberry at 15 and have Byrne/Carty fight it out for the back up 10. I think Carberry offers so much from 15 but anyway

Addison has played most of his rugby in the centre. With the injury as well I think he will struggle to make the squad

FrannoFan wrote: »
    "he's no longer a guaranteed starter" on what evidence?
    Best 15 we have
    Might be worth keeping him through the next 6 nations to give the new management team some stability. Sorely missed V England and give Larmour/Stockdale a chance to bed in as 15's (i view both as better wingers but i don't see a better alternative at 15)

It's a 4 year cycle. To be honest we should clean out any players who won't make the next WC but that won't happen as we need Sexton.

Larmour hasn't played enough at 15 and hasn't played enouhg games in a row at 15 to rate him a better winger to FB. It is as simple as that.

Lancaster has always talked about what a great 15 Larmour is and he seems to know a bit about rugby :P

Stockdale is not a 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stockdale is not a 15.

It's where he played most of his underage rugby, including with the U20s at the JWC.

It's where he played most of his underage rugby, including with the U20s at the JWC.

If you listen to podcast with NZ player he says all players should rotate around in underage and then pick a position.

He is a better winger and has shown that....if Earls retires he will be our best winger and nailed on starter.

Not sure why we would need to take our best winger to play him at 15 when we have options like Larmour, Conway, Addison etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think Larmour has actually played quite a lot at full back this season. Is there a good website where you can check these things?

AdamD wrote: »
    I think Larmour has actually played quite a lot at full back this season. Is there a good website where you can check these things?

He has played the odd match. Issue is he plays a match then next week he will start on the wing...

He needs a good run of starting at 15 .....then we can see if he is the future 15 for Leinster and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's a 4 year cycle. To be honest we should clean out any players who won't make the next WC but that won't happen as we need Sexton.

So are you saying we shouldn't have given Healy a two year deal?

It's not a good logic as its important to slowly integrate players into the team. Mass clearouts due to age make no sense and can seriously disrupt a team. It's impossible to know what form a player will be in in a few years either.

I think depending on the position, a deal through part of the cycle makes sense. For a 15, I don't think it does though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

New coaching ticket might come with different ideas. Like wanting to see Carbery at 15. It's not impossible.

If Kearney went, building for thr future + trying to get your best players on the pitch might look like Larmour on the wing, with Carbery at 15. Ross as next in line at 10.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wouldn't it be gas if Rob went to Racing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Larmour hasn't played enough at 15 and hasn't played enouhg games in a row at 15 to rate him a better winger to FB. It is as simple as that.

Lancaster has always talked about what a great 15 Larmour is and he seems to know a bit about rugby :P

Stockdale is not a 15.

Irish rugby does not operate in 4 year cycles. It operates on a pretty much game by game 6 nations to 6 nations basis.

Agree stockdale a winger but it's him/larmour/Addison for 15 (I'd suspect Addison - explains the fades signing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Lowe for full back? Played there with the Maori all blacks.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Lowe for full back? Played there with the Maori all blacks.

I think he'd be somewhat blunted there.

His defence is questionable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think he'd be somewhat blunted there.

His defence is poisonous too.

Fixed that

He's probably a bit on the heavy side at the moment for full back as well, no? He's listed at almost 5kg heavier on the Leinster website than he was on the allblacks website, and he certainly looks bigger than he did playing in 2016.

Fixed that

Harsh. But fair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Irish rugby does not operate in 4 year cycles. It operates on a pretty much game by game 6 nations to 6 nations basis.

Agree stockdale a winger but it's him/larmour/Addison for 15 (I'd suspect Addison - explains the fades signing)

Stockdale at full back would concern me. Defensively on the wing he's looked at sea at times, has made some very poor calls. Defending on the wing is considerably easier than at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The choice for successor to Rob surely has to start with identifying what the coaches want their 15 to do.
    Takes time for a player to develop the defensive positioning piece. If Larmour is their choice for the future, he should be backed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭baas baa

If Kearney is to leave this season it should put Larmour in pole position at 15 for Leinster and Ireland. He could be very good there, has had shaky moments under high balls and with positioning but they should right themselves with experience. He performs really well in aerial duels on the wing so it shouldn't be a big weakness despite his size. He's also improving as a link man lately and carries the ball in two hands when in space. If this area of his game continues to improve it could be very promising considering the attention he attracts from defences with his footwork.

What about Dave at 15? He made a couple of appearances there early on in the season

What about Dave at 15? He made a couple of appearances there early on in the season

Is there an argument that at his age, he's not a long term choice maybe?

Is there an argument that at his age, he's not a long term choice maybe?

Turns 30 this summer, couple years left in him.

From a Leinster perspective, there's a few options with the likes of Kelleher coming back into the squad, and Frawley can play 15 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He'll play there a bit I'm sure but what are you suggesting, he'd be the first choice 15? He's clearly not better than Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

DK is our Louis Ludik?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't think the henshaw at fullback experiment is finished, you can't just give a guy one game against a top 3 side and then throw him out.

I don't think the henshaw at fullback experiment is finished, you can't just give a guy one game against a top 3 side and then throw him out.

Couldn't agree more. Think we'll see more of him there in time.

This Saturday's game is being broadcast on TG4 live for anyone who doesn't have eir sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Can't see Andy Farrell using RK next season. I think there will be a couple of new faces for the 6nations and even more for the autumn series.
    Best, S.O.B and R.K are most likely the 1st cuts. Best obviously as he's retiring.
    I think we'll see E.O.S get a look next year and Marshall at hooker. I wouldn't be shocked if Balacoune gets into the wider squad. Deegan should be banging on the door and I think Marty Moore will be Furlongs back up. I believe Addison could do a job at 15 or they could give Larmour 1st dibs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement