Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Female sportspersons and periods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm actually surprised how many of them seem to be on their natural cycle. Tis far from an elite athlete I am but I've been happily chemically controlled for years now and only bother with one or two withdrawal bleeds a year. I know the Pill doesn't suit everyone but I'm surprised at how few of them seem to use it, according to that article anyway. Why anyone would have a period when they don't have to is beyond me.

Aside from taking pills I'm surprised many who are in sports which require super low body fat would be on a natural cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Dial Hard wrote:
    I'm actually surprised how many of them seem to be on their natural cycle. Tis far from an elite athlete I am but I've been happily chemically controlled for years now and only bother with one or two withdrawal bleeds a year. I know the Pill doesn't suit everyone but I'm surprised at how few of them seem to use it, according to that article anyway. Why anyone would have a period when they don't have to is beyond me.

Well, it is an entirely natural physical experience for a woman to undergo so I am sure most are completely accepting of that and do not regard it as either an ordeal or a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

chicorytip wrote: »
    Well, it is an entirely natural physical experience for a woman to undergo so I am sure most are completely accepting of that and do not regard it as either an ordeal or a nuisance.

Have you ever had a period? Doesnt sound like you have, Ill explain to you what its like as youre obviously completely ignorant to what its like to have one.
    Having a period feels like being repeatedly stabbed in your lower abdomen while also randomly wanting to punch walls and cry because periods fu ck with your hormones and emotions.

They literally can make you feel suicidal.
    Dial Hard wrote: »

GP's generally dont give the coil, chip or injection to young women or women who havnt had kids.

The pill wont stop a period, it can lighten them and help symptoms if you get the right pill that works well with your body but generally that takes allot of trial and error. I remember being on Yaz and was like a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

chicorytip wrote: »

Brave? or just asking for trouble ? :eek:

You are gonna get it !!! :rolleyes::D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Have you ever had a period? Doesnt sound like you have, Ill explain to you what its like as youre obviously completely ignorant to what its like to have one.
    Having a period feels like being repeatedly stabbed in your lower abdomen while also randomly wanting to punch walls and cry because periods fu ck with your hormones and emotions.

GP's generally dont give the coil, chip or injection to young women or women who havnt had kids.

The pill wont stop a period, it can lighten them and help symptoms if you get the right pill that works well with your body but generally that takes allot of trial and error. I remember being on Yaz and was like a lunatic.

No they aren’t. They really are not a big deal for most people. They can be for some people so I am not saying none suffer but most women do not feel like they are being stabbed.
    Obviously if you suffer that much then it would make sense to be on the pill. For the vast majority of women it’s a mild inconvenience and so is treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Incorrect. All of the above are available to women who have not had children. Although Im not quite sure what the "chip" is - I presume the bar implant? Both it and the depot injection are just slow release hormones and having given birth or not is irrelevant. The Mirena is available to women who have not had children, but may require a more onerous insertion.

The combined pill (estrogen and progesterone) will stop periods if used with no break - which they now say is medically safe. Although it is still prescribed so as to give a withdrawal week every 4th week.

The mini pill (progesterone only) will also stop periods completely for many women.

Although the side effects of hormonal medication are probably not welcome for female athletes.

Would they not fail drug testing if they are using synthetic hormones?

And also - would extra synthetic FEMALE hormones not be the worst thing an athlete could take - if anything theyd want more testosterone?

....... wrote: »
    Incorrect. All of the above are available to women who have not had children. Although Im not quite sure what the "chip" is - I presume the bar implant? Both it and the depot injection are just slow release hormones and having given birth or not is irrelevant. The Mirena is available to women who have not had children, but may require a more onerous insertion.

The combined pill (estrogen and progesterone) will stop periods if used with no break - which they now say is medically safe. Although it is still prescribed so as to give a withdrawal week every 4th week.

The mini pill (progesterone only) will also stop periods completely for many women.

Although the side effects of hormonal medication are probably not welcome for female athletes.

Would they not fail drug testing if they are using synthetic hormones?

And also - would extra synthetic FEMALE hormones be the worst thing an athlete could take - if anything theyd want more testosterone?

Careful now !
    Theres not enough outrage in that and you make too much sense.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Careful now !
    Theres not enough outrage in that and you make too much sense.

And I left out an important word in the last sentence but now that youve quoted it my shame is there forever to be seen.

My emotionally overwrought and stabbed abdomen cries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’m not a sports person but I know that my menstrual cycle isn’t as noticeable at times when I’m keeping fit and eating well.
    And I don’t like taking hormones so I don’t take the pill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've known a fair few women that have gotten one of these when they had no kids. None of these are permanent solutions and are easily reversible.

I never had a period, but a brief research says if you are not over weight and you take regular exercise you will not have the symptoms you describe.

Obvoius to say, YOU may be an exception.

So, athletes probably do not have a "bad" experience because their bodies are healthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If an elite athlete decides to take steroids birth control won't be their first choice.

....... wrote: »

Reread my comment, never said they wearnt available. I said GP's are reluctant to give them to women who havnt had kids, ive been to three different doctors over the last ten years and all of them said the same thing to me.
    Their reasoning was they cause can too many side effects, can be too costly and difficult to remove and can cause fertility problems in some women months after removal.

The combined pill wont stop periods with no break, where are you getting this from? They can lighten periods - how much they lighten depends on the person, some people will only get light spotting when on their period, others will have a heavier flow with less pain but they rarely completely stop a period, even if taken for four weeks. My period still starts when im on the pill and I know allot of my friends experience the same.

I never had a period, but a brief research says if you are not over weight and you take regular exercise you will not have the symptoms you describe.

So, athletes probably do not have a "bad" experience because their bodies are healthy?

'You never had a period' - you dont get to have an opinion or tell women they dont have the symptoms they describe.

Every woman is different and experiences periods differently.

'You never had a period' - you dont get to have an opinion or tell women they dont have the symptoms they describe.

WOW ! :eek: :rolleyes:

WOW ! :eek: :rolleyes:

I eat healthy, I go to the gym 3 days a week, I dont smoke and rearly drink yet some random lad comments that I wouldn't be getting such bad period cramps if I was healthier.

:rolleyes:

Unless youre a doctor or someone who actually experiences having periods, your opinion on period symptoms is mostly irrelevant.

I eat healthy, I go to the gym 3 days a week, I dont smoke and rearly drink yet some random lad comments that I wouldn't be getting such bad period cramps if I was healthier.

:rolleyes:

Unless youre a doctor or someone who actually experiences having periods, your opinion on period symptoms is mostly irrelevant.

But could a male doctor know? :rolleyes:

relax will yaa, your getting a bit salty over other peoples opinions
    , and we are allowed give an opinion (I think?) or are men now not allowed give an opinion on issues relating to women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sorry, but your 'brief research' has left you about 99% as ill-informed on the subject as you were before.

Painful periods are a fact of life for a very large number of women and for a very large range of reasons. Extremely healthy women can have horrible periods and extremely unhealthy women can have almost unnoticeable ones.

I've been both pretty damn unhealthy and healthy at different times of my life and my experience of periods was identical throughout. I'm one of the lucky ones

Everyone is of course entitled to have an opinion, but it does look better if it is based on at least a basic understanding of the topic in question.

But could a male doctor know? :rolleyes:

relax will yaa, your getting a bit salty over other peoples opinions
    , and we are allowed give an opinion (I think?) or are men now not allowed give an opinion on issues relating to women.

Im not getting salty, im just saying :)

Every woman experiences periods differently, my periods arent even the same one month from the next so like ill informed opinions from people who know nothing about periods dont help anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Did you read the article in question? All of the athletes featured have had their training and performance affected by their period.
    The combined pill wont stop periods with no break, where are you getting this from? They can lighten periods - how much they lighten depends on the person, some people will only get light spotting when on their period, others will have a heavier flow with less pain but they rarely completely stop a period, even if taken for four weeks. My period still starts when im on the pill and I know allot of my friends experience the same.

I'm on a combined pill and as I stated in my original post, I only take about two withdrawal bleeds a year. The rest of the time I run my packs together and don't bleed at all.

Im not getting salty, im just saying :)

Every woman experiences periods differently, my periods arent even the same one month from the next so like ill informed opinions from people who know nothing about periods dont help anything.

They don't help anything ?
    Do ill informed opinions by anon on Boards matter ?
    I don't understand how people get triggered enough by a fairly innocuous comment about women by a man gets yee all het up about it!

I bet its not as bad as a kick in the balls though ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I had to go on the pill at the age of 16, mine were so heavy & painful. I couldn't even stand up straight when I had one, they were honestly excruciating and I used to miss school over them.
    The stomach cramps, dull thudding lower back pain, bloating, nausea, and not to mention the heavy haemorrhaging was a massive inconvenience, I was literally no good for 4-5 days a month.
    And I wasn't overweight or unhealthy. I don't think my experience is uncommon.
    On the pill a number of years now and they're a breeze, significantly lighter and nowhere near as painful. No real inconvenience at all compared to when I didn't take hormones. I dread the day I have to come off it.

Its understandable that it would impact the performance of athletes but unfortunately they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Its either heavy, painful periods (if that's an issue for them) or take hormones, which come with their own risks and issues (weight gain, depression, hormone imbalance etc).
    Either way they're at a disadvantage.

They don't help anything ?
    Do ill informed opinions by anon on Boards matter ?
    I don't understand how people get triggered enough by a fairly innocuous comment about women by a man gets yee all het up about it!

I bet its not as bad as a kick in the balls though ! :D

You sound like the only one whose triggered tbh :pac:

Dial Hard wrote: »

I'm on a combined pill and as I stated in my original post, I only take about two withdrawal bleeds a year. The rest of the time I run my packs together and don't bleed at all.

Im on combined pill too but my period starts a day or two before I stop taking them for the week. Everyones different so its not a reliable form of stopping periods as they dont work that way for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm slim and fairly fit and I get a couple of horrendous periods a year interspersed with merely very bad ones; last month I was woken at 5am and had to go puke from the pain. Spent the next couple of hours on my hands and knees focusing on my breathing. Was caught on the hop by that one so had no painkillers in in fairness but the only thing that even takes the edge off menstrual pain like that is a high dose of codeine, which I try to avoid.

There's nothing "wrong" (trust me I've looked into it) apart from I have a body that gets particularly furious at me when I don't let it get pregnant :pac: runs in the family too, menstrual stuff tends to.

The pill is not an option for me, I've tried several over the years and it's disastrous. I've been advised by a gynecologist I saw about this (thinking I had cervical or ovarian cancer or something) to look into the Kyleena coil, as it's hormonal and I've previously become suicidal while taking hormonal contraception I'm pretty hesitant but apparently because it's localised rather than systemic there *shouldn't* be the same issues but there are no guarantees.

Yes living a healthy lifestyle, figuring out patterns and triggers will help but some of us, and we're not particularly rare exceptions, just really drew the short straw on this front and have to just get on with it. The women for whom a period is just a mild inconvenience are the exception imo. It's a painful messy tiring experience 12 times a year for most of your life.

Really not sure why you have bad in scare quotes there, that's like saying oh sure for some men maybe a kick in the balls is "painful".

Reread my comment, never said they wearnt available. I said GP's are reluctant to give them to women who havnt had kids, ive been to three different doctors over the last ten years and all of them said the same thing to me.
    Their reasoning was they cause can too many side effects, can be too costly and difficult to remove and can cause fertility problems in some women months after removal.

Not in my experience or anyone I know since the mid 90s tbh. Most of my child free friends have been using one of the above for 20 odd years with no reluctance from their GP.

They used to be reluctant re the copper coil for women who hadnt had children but since the advent of the Mirena its been a dawdle.

All of the items you mentioned have the same side effects as the pill. The Mirena can be removed easily, and so can the implant. Its only the depot injection that doesnt have a method of "removal".

Absolutely it does. If you dont take a break week you dont get a withdrawal bleed. The packs that are 28 day packs include a hormone free week, if you skip that then you dont get the bleed. Any GP will tell you, its how women have been controlling not getting their period on holidays or for their wedding day for decades.

But if you dont believe me:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/birth-control/in-depth/birth-control-pill/art-20045136

I must say, for someone with such an attitude about periods you seem remarkably uninformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Contradicts your first post where you implied that a period - any period - is horrific. And I really don't see how it was necessary for you to say "doesn't seem like you menstruate - let me explain what it's like". No that absolutely isn't what it's like for most women.

I am aware that some women do suffer horrendously every month - two of my closest friends used to, and I've seen them in a frightening state. I'm delighted that they have an option to alleviate the misery (although one of them got a bit freaked at the age of 30 that she had been on the pill continuously since she was 15) but for those of us fortunate enough not to go through anything near that amount of suffering, I have never taken the pill for any reason other than birth control. And I agree with chicorytip - for many of us, this natural occurrence is not reason enough to reduce/cut it out on a long-term basis. Why would you bother?

Biting the heads off men who say perfectly moderate things in a polite manner, gives the misogynists around here a stick to beat us with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

you don't get to have an opinion

Actually, everybody gets to have an opinion. Thankfully, that's the society we live in. You don't get to decide who has an opinion or not just because you don't like it.

• Advertisement

Actually, everybody gets to have an opinion. Thankfully, that's the society we live in. You don't get to decide who has an opinion or not just because you don't like it.

Opinions are like arseholes eh?

Advertisement