Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to attract the right person without breaking the rules?

Options
  • 23-02-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

We're sharing a house and looking for a new housemate.

Looking for a male, who has a 9-5 job, late 20s early 30s, no couples.

According to the guidelines on daft this is all illegal and discriminatory.

How do we get around this? I was thinking to write 'send us an email and write a little about yourself' then just filter every email that comes in. But what if they don't mention the info we need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

If it is someone to share with you, then the normal discrimination rules don't apply.
    Not sure how the hap rules work though, I'd probably feel that out in person rather than put it in the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you’re subletting discrimination is irrelevant, just set up a temporary email address and use it to receive applications.

Just ignore any and all that you don’t like or don’t give enough information.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

We're sharing a house and looking for a new housemate.

Looking for a male, who has a 9-5 job, late 20s early 30s, no couples.

According to the guidelines on daft this is all illegal and discriminatory.

How do we get around this? I was thinking to write 'send us an email and write a little about yourself' then just filter every email that comes in. But what if they don't mention the info we need?

From what you have said here, you would be looking for either a licensee or a sub-tenant. In any case, the Equal Status Acts to not apply in respect of accommodation where you are renting a room in your own home - provided this is not a self-contained dwelling.

If you want to avoid breaching it anyway, the way to ensure that you get a tenant with a steady income etc., is to ask for:

1. Job references.

2. Bank statements with the narrative removed (DPC recommends this) showing regular income.

No couples can be accomplished within the provisions of the tenancy or license agreement. Age can be ascertained with a reasonable certainty by means of the photons hitting their body, reflecting off of it, and then bouncing off your retina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think the OP means how to get around Daft's rules. They won't let you put up the ad if you mention anything about age or employment, crazy I know.

I would suggest take out those comments, you can select males only though. Ask people to say a bit about themselves in their emails and just ignore the ones that don't meet what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Subutai wrote: »
    From what you have said here, you would be looking for either a licensee or a sub-tenant. In any case, the Equal Status Acts to not apply in respect of accommodation where you are renting a room in your own home - provided this is not a self-contained dwelling.

If you want to avoid breaching it anyway, the way to ensure that you get a tenant with a steady income etc., is to ask for:

1. Job references.

2. Bank statements with the narrative removed (DPC recommends this) showing regular income.

No couples can be accomplished within the provisions of the tenancy or license agreement. Age can be ascertained with a reasonable certainty by means of the photons hitting their body, reflecting off of it, and then bouncing off your retina.

I thought this, but have had someone on here state that rules apply for someone staying at your own home regarding HAP, in a renting a room scenario, I dont believe it myself but want to confirm, if you had a licencee could they ask for you to sign up for support in line with HAP (which I always understood was for a house so maybe the person misstated or was just not willing to accept it or trying to spread disinformation).
    In regard to your own home, my belief is you dont have to accept anything you dont want, odd that you are allowed say females only but I can understand that in practical terms, but still.
    What do you mean bank statements with the narrative removed? figures/values?

for the OP, as suggested, a email for the purpose, even a burner phone for eventual contact with any potential candidates, and be as specific as you can manage and as vague as required, ask people to respond by email giving some details about themselves and feel them out (but not up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

But what if they don't mention the info we need?

Set up a temporary email address, out of the 100's of emails you'll receive there will be maybe 10 or 12 that should provide you with the details you need and you can work from there. Also try and see if anyone you know or friends of friends etc who might be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Set up a temporary email address, out of the 100's of emails you'll receive there will be maybe 10 or 12 that should provide you with the details you need and you can work from there. Also try and see if anyone you know or friends of friends etc who might be looking.

They can be the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

1874 wrote: »
    They can be the worst

True. I always found that “friends” or friends of friends are trying to offload a problem onto somebody else.
    My own daughter and her housemates gladly offloaded a problem pal onto a work colleague of one of them who was looking for a new flat mate.

Age can be ascertained with a reasonable certainty by means of the photons hitting their body, reflecting off of it, and then bouncing off your retina.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Age can be ascertained with a reasonable certainty by means of the photons hitting their body, reflecting off of it, and then bouncing off your retina.

Thanks for the lols :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Although the main discrimination grounds don't apply, is there a distinction for licensees when it comes to HAP? I though that law applied to licensees as well but happy to be corrected.

As for picking who you want, simply do what everyone does. Don't be specific in the advert, keep the criteria to yourself and waste everyone else's time. Just do a blanket email at the end of the process BCCing everyone in saying, thanks we found someone, don't be more specific.

Go with your gut.

Edit. Holy necro posting Batman! If anyone could answer the HAP query though as I'll be advertising for a new Lodger soon. Many Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I am also experiencing this problem with daft. i want someone who works... not a student. but i cant put this in the ad. so i get all of these replies from students.... very frustrating for me and also for all of the people who take the time to send me a message....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Which one of the protected grounds covers students?

I'm sure I've seen a few ads explicitly state 'not suitable for student accommodation' or similar expressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I dont know but i put up ' professional' and the daft computer said no...also same with ' mature'

Graham wrote: »
    Which one of the protected grounds covers students?

I'm sure I've seen a few ads explicitly state 'not suitable for student accommodation' or similar expressions.

Tenuously the age ground but that doesn't apply to accommodation in one's own home.

Wesser wrote: »
    I dont know but i put up ' professional' and the daft computer said no...also same with ' mature'

HAP ground (text book) and age ground respectively. Age definitely doesn't apply but HAP might.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

When sharing, just say that the existing occupants are 30 year old males in various industries/professions and compatible person wanted.

Advertisement