Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 General Motorsport thread

• 11-05-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Surprised there has never just been a thread here to talk about any sort of Motorsport from the new W series racing, to race bikes, to WRC, Le Mans to Formula E and Formula one so I decided to start one.

Was thinking of starting a thread for the second round of the W series race next week. So what do ye people think. New thread or continue on the one started for last weeks race?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

AMKC wrote: »
    Surprised there has never just been a thread here to talk about any sort of Motorsport from the new W series racing, to race bikes, to WRC, Le Mans to Formula E and Formula one so I decided to start one.

Was thinking of starting a thread for the second round of the W series race next week. So what do ye people think. New thread or continue on the one started for last weeks race?

I'm thinking a superthread would be good for W series, individual threads might get lost in the mix.

And good idea on this thread by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

skipper_G wrote: »
    I'm thinking a superthread would be good for W series, individual threads might get lost in the mix.

And good idea on this thread by the way!

Maybe your right. Thanks. Just thought it would be handy if someone has a question about Motorsport that does not fit with any of the other threads or wants to talk about more than one series or about there favorite driver like say Alonso or Massa etc who now race in other series.

A busy couple of race weekends ahead. The second round of the W series is on next weekend and then there is the next round of Formula E the weekend after and probably Formula 1 again too and that's without all the other race series that I don,t actively follow. So if anyone wants to post in here when a certain race series race is on or even the calendar for the series they are welcome too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So Williams has signed W Series' driver Jamie Chadwick as development driver. Who knows maybe she could be racing for Williams F1 next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So Williams has signed W Series' driver Jamie Chadwick as development driver. Who knows maybe she could be racing for Williams F1 next year.

Great news for her, and it's merited unlike when they had Susie Wolff. Only downside is probably an added expectation that she will win the W series title. But she was probably the favourite beforehand regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Great news for her, and it's merited unlike when they had Susie Wolff. Only downside is probably an added expectation that she will win the W series title. But she was probably the favourite beforehand regardless

She seems to be in a close fight with Visser for the Championship with now One win a piece in the first 2 races.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to the F2 more than F1 this weekend. Mick Schumacher had his best qualifying of the season so far, starts from 4th for the feature race. Be interesting to see if he can get on the podium, needs a clean race after a disappointing weekend last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

For the first time in years I'm not bothered about Le Mans. Let's be honest, it's all about the P1 win. This year, bar mechanicals, it's Toyota. Why have they let it come to this. Think about 2011 as an example of a awesome race.

Ms

Inquitus wrote: »
    She seems to be in a close fight with Visser for the Championship with now One win a piece in the first 2 races.

Hopefully they keep it interesting and we still have yet to what the Kimilinem one can do.
    I'm looking forward to the F2 more than F1 this weekend. Mick Schumacher had his best qualifying of the season so far, starts from 4th for the feature race. Be interesting to see if he can get on the podium, needs a clean race after a disappointing weekend last time.

I would say your not the only one. I would say the qualifying will be more exciting. That is unless something big happens in the race otherwise it will be a boring procession.
    tigerboon wrote: »
    For the first time in years I'm not bothered about Le Mans. Let's be honest, it's all about the P1 win. This year, bar mechanicals, it's Toyota. Why have they let it come to this. Think about 2011 as an example of a awesome race.

Yes they have ruined it. Never been that big into it but have watched it once or twice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

Going over for my 7th year now. It's a shame the way LMP has fallen in the last few years. The ACO have dropped the ball and their unwillingness to adopt other car regs (GT3, DPi) and instead create a new hypercar class, which they still don't really know what the regs will be, doesn't inspire confidence with the big manufacturers.
    It may be a great opportunity for the likes of Brabham and Glieckenhaus unless the ACO screws them over after they've already designed hypercars.

Still massively looking forward to it, you just never know at Le Mans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/golden-mondello-from-grass-to-glory/101591592043

That was brilliant.
    Excellent look back at not only the history of Mondello Park but at the entire history of Irish motorsports with which the track is forever going to be a huge part of.

• Advertisement

They had some nice footage of Senna racing there, decent watch

Le Mans tomorrow. Will tune in and watch the start. Love the formation lap. One of the best moments in sport every year. Hopefully the Toyotas will have a few issues leaving it fairly close. Hard to be excited about this one though.

Le Mans tomorrow. Will tune in and watch the start. Love the formation lap. One of the best moments in sport every year. Hopefully the Toyotas will have a few issues leaving it fairly close. Hard to be excited about this one though.

Just kicked off, it's live on Quest until 4pm. The best of the action looks to be in the GTs

Just kicked off, it's live on Quest until 4pm. The best of the action looks to be in the GTs

Full coverage on Eurosport. Some great racing so far. GT is brilliant but the battle between the Rebellions and SMPs is brilliant. Nothing against Toyota but a few gremlins would be good for the race

Ms

Just watching this on Quest+1 and I have to say that is some livery on the Rebellion cars. I doubt we would get to see a modern Formula 1 car look as colourfull as that.

Also I have always wondered has Le Mans always had all all these different classes of cars racing together and if not when did it go like that?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I don't know when it started having multiple classes, but it's been a long time.

GTs have been great so far. Looks like it's starting to rain.

Big hit for the 64 Corvette.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,951 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Change of leader. Unfortunate if just sensor fault. Leader no. 8 still needs to stop though

Win and championship for the 8. The 7 had a puncture, but they changed the wrong tire and had to stop again.

Bizarre race for the Keating Ford, but still managed the win in GT Am.

What is it with the TV broadcasters and showing people gawking at monitors during racing. It's not just the amount of it but the terrible timing as well. Just there now in the touring cars at the Nurburgring, Huff smashes into the barriers coming into the carousel. Instead of showing the chaos of the next 10 cars trying to get round they cut straight to people holding their heads and staring into screens. About 30 seconds later (a fair distance travelled) they rejoin the race.
    Same a few weeks ago in a tight motogp race at Mugello. Everytime they came down the main straight, where there's plenty of slip streaming, they cut to the pit garages to show people watching screens
    Very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In the case of an accident, they cut away in case a camera picks up on a horrific injury or death. They still have to film it, in case of inquiry but certainly not broadcast it. The easiest way to convey whether something serious has happened without actually showing it is to show the pits and gauge the reactions of those talking on the radios.
    For example, free practice 3 for the 2015 Russian Grand Prix, Carlos Sainz has an off and drives straight into a tyre barrier which collapses on top of his car. All cameras kept their distance or kept to the pits until Carlos was extracted and gave a thumbs up. Only then did the replays of the crash get shown.

I thought there's slightly delayed coverage to allow for accidents. Just enough time for the producers to switch coverage. At the Mugello motogp they done it every lap, nothing to do with accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Why does Billy Monger only ware shorts, is his lack of legs now his trade mark.?

Ms

roroliam wrote: »
    Why does Billy Monger only ware shorts, is his lack of legs now his trade mark.?

Maybe its just easier for him and cheaper than having to buy full length trousers too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Nice to see one of our own on a podium, Jordan Dempsey got 3rd in race 3 at Suzuka in the Asian F3 Championship.

https://twitter.com/PRT_Racing/status/1142716954538459137?s=19

Mahaveer Raghunathan managed to pick up 9 penalty points in one race, and has been banned for the next F2 round in Austria. Surprised he lasted this long, he's consistently 7 or 8 seconds slower than the field. Has managed to pass the chequered flag twice in a race and was unable to do a three point turn at Baku, he was unaware he needed to turn the steering wheel to complete the turn. This is what a real pay driver looks like

Ms

Some very sad news. A driver has been killed in the Donegal International rally. Rallying even now is and can be a very dangerous motorsport.

May he Rest in Peace.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

He has even named on Motorsports Ireland Facebook. He was a gent of a man. A sad day for all Motorsports in Ireland

Interesting news, Pato O'Ward to make his F2 debut in Austria. Stepping in for Raghunathan during his ban

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/red-bull-junior-oward-f2-debut/4482283/

• Advertisement

There's been a couple more seat changes in F2 the last few days, Arjun Maini is in at Campos for the next two rounds replacing Dorian Boccolacci and Ralph Boschung has lost his seat with Trident, replaced by Ryan Tveter. Looks like they ran out of money.

Elsewhere, there are some reports doing the rounds that Dan Ticktum is going to lose his Super Formula drive.
    https://www.motorsport.com/super-formula/news/ticktum-red-bull-super-formula/4483104/?nrt=1101

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement