Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Substation near house

• 18-05-2019 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

Can you please let me know your opinion on safety living beside the substation? Would it transmit electromagnetic waves? Are these boxes prone to fire etc? Also would you say it would affect the re-sale value? Also, would you reccomend to get an ETF survey?

I believe it is new ESB 10kv or max 20kv substation situated approx 5 metres max from the front door. It is a grey box approx two metres in length and one a half metres in height with yellow dangerous sign.

Would it affect your buying decision ? The house is in great location in the new development, but the worry is the substation that is approx 5 metres away from the front door.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Joksm wrote: »
    Hello,

Can you please let me know your opinion on safety living beside the substation in the new development? Also would you say it would affect the re-sale value? Also, would you reccomend to get an ETF survey?

I believe it is new ESB 10kv or max 20kv substation situated approx 5 metres max from the front door. It is a grey box approx two metres in length and one a half metres in height with yellow dangerous sign.

Would it affect your buying decision ? The house is in great location, but the worry is the substation that is approx 5 metres away from the front door.

Thank you in advance

Personally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest , what's your particular concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Joksm

Hi Kramer,

Appreciate for your response.

The main concern would be magnetic field, health and safety for children and of course re-sale value. The thing is that the house is in great location in the estate that we really like and we don't really want to change unless the substation can have bad effects in the future on the family.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Hi Kramer,

The main concern would be magnetic field, health and safety for children. The thing is that the house is in great location in the estate that we really like and we don't really want to change unless the substation can have bad effects in the future on the family.

Thank you

Regarding the magnetic fields, I haven't a clue , if you mean health and safety from and electrocution point of view , I wouldn't worry them things are pretty secure

kramer1 wrote: »
    Regarding the magnetic fields, I haven't a clue , if you mean health and safety from and electrocution point of view , I wouldn't worry them things are pretty secure

Thank you. Yes, health and safety from both electrocution point of view and electromagnetic radiation and in general fire etc.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Thank you. Yes, health and safety from both electrocution point of view and electromagnetic radiation and in general fire etc.

Thank you!

If you want electricity you need one

Having it removed would have a greater hit on the value of your property, houses without electricity dont sell well

There is one or new most housing estates in the country

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would worry about either electrocution or electromagnetic fields. The only risk would be for those with a pacemaker if they were exceptionally close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

https://www.powerwatch.org.uk/elf/substations.asp

Theres a ton of material out on the web. Possibly a lot of it fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Theres a ton of material out on the web. Possibly a lot of it fake.

Most stuff about just about everything is fake online. :(

Thank you everyone!

A lot of material I have reviewed, only talks how dangerous it can be or how is not dangerous. Also, there is not specific info on small substations, which is makes even harder to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

What your describing is a 10 / 20kv unit sub. Every housing estate in the country has at least one of these so im sure if there was anything to worry about it would have raised its head before now

• Advertisement

I know the term substation can be generic and vague, but if it helps at all, there's a big cabinet directly at the rear of my house. It's about 6ft tall, 5ft wide and goes back about 3-4ft I'd guess.

I'd say the ESB pop over once a year to have a look at it. Never caused me or any of the neighbours any issues or concern.

A friend of mine lives in a nearby estate, and they have an actual site with a few of these cabinets and a whole heap of wiring coming in to it. It's a gated area and I believe it has the power for a few things in it, including the nearby schools, housing estates etc. and again, none of the people living nearby, nor my friend who is pretty close to it, have ever mentioned it to me at all (in a good or bad way).

They can be an eyesore, but they're otherwise fine in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Oh, these catch fire all the time. Houses are always exploding because of them. 300 houses destroyed last year alone. You see it on the news pretty much every day.

Oh, no, wait, you don't.

Likewise, "electromagnetic waves"?! Do you not realise they all get dampened down by the chemtrails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I work in this area of research.

The risk (if any) still not well understood. A large study in the UK in 2009 found no link between EMF exposure and child cancer. This is probably the best study ever completed on the subject.

However if you pool the results of all studies on the subject, there appears to be an association.

At present, we don’t know how EMF would contribute to cancer, but some connection may exist. The scientist in me says it’s fine; the worrier in me says why take a chance.

More info here:
    http://www.emfs.info/health/leukaemia/

Thank you everybody! This is very helpful!

It looks like it is fine, but I think it is still probably good to have ETF survey done just to make sure electromagnetic waves are not way over the limit to avoid any risk. If it is not over limit, I believe it should be fine?

Please do let me know what what you think, and would you trust ETF survey if you were buying a house? The house is in a great area of the estate, but the main worry is the substation that is near the house.

Thank you in advance

2011 wrote: »
    I would worry about either electrocution or electromagnetic fields. The only risk would be for those with a pacemaker if they were exceptionally close.

Hello, thank you. Sorry what did you mean by "those with a pacemaker if they were exceptionally close"

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It looks like it is fine, but I think it is still probably good to have ETF survey done just to make sure electromagnetic waves are not way over the limit to avoid any risk.

I am not aware of any limit.
    What do you mean by "EFT" survey?

I'm not an expert in this area but my understanding is that frequently people with pacemakers are not permitted to enter substations. I think that the risk of EMF from a substation having any impact on the operation of a pacemaker is very remote, but there are rules around this none the less. Theoretically many electrical devices can interfere with pacemakers but in reality this is extremely rare. It is a bit like using a mobile phone while fuelling your car, it is ill advised but people do it across the country every day of the week and we don't seem to have an epidemic of exploding petrol stations. Nevertheless I will still recommend that you put your phone down while filling your car.

The strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that the strength of the magnetic field decreases rapidly as you move away from it.

I am sure the field strength within this property house would be negligible.

Here is a link.
    The risk (if any) still not well understood. A large study in the UK in 2009 found no link between EMF exposure and child cancer. This is probably the best study ever completed on the subject.

There you go.
    However if you pool the results of all studies on the subject, there appears to be an association.

Have you a link to this from a reputable source?
    At present, we don’t know how EMF would contribute to cancer, but some connection may exist.

I don't believe this.

It would be so easy to see if there was a correlation between ESB workers and their counterparts in other countries that have had exceptional exposure to EMF over their entire careers and cancer diagnosis. If there was any such correlation the unions would be all over it.
    The scientist in me says it’s fine; the worrier in me says why take a chance.

Listen to the scientist, the worrier is a flat earther :D:D

2011 wrote: »
    I am not aware of any limit.
    What do you mean by "EFT" survey?

I'm not an expert in this area but my understanding is that frequently people with pacemakers are not permitted to enter substations. I think that the risk of EMF from a substation having any impact on the operation of a pacemaker is very remote, but there are rules around this none the less. Theoretically many electrical devices can interfere with pacemakers but in reality this is extremely rare. It is a bit like using a mobile phone while fuelling your car, it is ill advised but people do it across the country every day of the week and we don't seem to have an epidemic of exploding petrol stations. Nevertheless I will still recommend that you put your phone down while filling your car.

The strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that the strength of the magnetic field decreases rapidly as you move away from it.

I am sure the field strength within this property house would be negligible.

Here is a link.

There you go.

Have you a link to this from a reputable source?

I don't believe this.

It would be so easy to see if there was a correlation between ESB workers and their counterparts in other countries that have had exceptional exposure to EMF over their entire careers and cancer diagnosis. If there was any such correlation the unions would be all over it.

Listen to the scientist, the worrier is a flat earther :D:D

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive response.

I meant, before we buy getting somebody to conduct measurements to ensure that the house is not affected by the electromagnetic field or electromagnetic radiation from the actual substation that would contribute to be over the norm level.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Seriously, dude. There is no danger from electromagnetic radiation from a suburban housing estate's transformer or substation. Our planning laws might not be great, but they generally frown upon putting actively dangerous things near where people live.

If you want to be really, really sure, buy an EMF meter off Amazon for less than €30.

If you want to be really, really, really sure... I will conduct an EMF survey of your proposed house and will give you an A4 certificate specifying the absence of an EMF. This will only cost €500. €550 if you want the certificate to be in colour.

I agree.
    Don’t waste your money.

Thank you everybody! Very helpful. If anyone else has experience in this, please do let me know. Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi All,

For anyone that may be interested, I have actually measured the electromagnetic field with the device at certain times of the day and it seems levels are normal, even I don't have any real expertise in this, it also looks to be within recommended limit, which is I think is between 0.05 to 0.25 UT from what I can see on the web, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I have compared this also with other houses that are located in different areas of the estate and basically the magnetic field levels are same or very similar. It goes from approximately between 0.15-0.25 UT (Microtesla) depending on time of the day, doesn't really matter of the area.

I think that may/would be reasonable numbers for majority of the places/estates that has undergound cabling and even without the unit substation located next door, but probably once again it depends on each case, but probably it would be similar in my opinion. The numbers of V/M precision looked to be in a safe region also. Approx between 2 and 5 V/M.

So it seems, there is nothing to worry about in this case according to actual measurements and this thread, and some other articles/threads that I read.

It seems the actual unit substation does not have an effect in terms of high/increased EMFs right beside the house or in the house even it is approx 5m away.

I think it is just a perception of the generic word substation, which differs in each case, and in my opinion, probably the majority content that is out there on the web is more relevant to much larger substations that may potentially increase the EMF levels (but I don't know about that). Anyway still no real evidence out there to prove that this is harmful.

Would be great to see what you think and if you have any other opinions.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think you kids are at much higher risk of being knocked down by a car. Have you thought about having cars banned from the estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Effects wrote: »
    I think you kids are at much higher risk of being knocked down by a car. Have you thought about having cars banned from the estate?

Handy having the risk of cars alright. Now no one need have any other concerns:pac:

Thanks! Of course it is a risk, but it is better to know than not, I would believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I have compared this also with other houses that are located in different areas of the estate and basically the magnetic field levels are same or very similar.

The reading is the same in all those houses because the readings you see are coming from the house wiring. The EMF strength varies as the usage in the house varies, because EMF results from the voltage (same all the time) and the current (increases with usage).

The substation you describe is inside a metal casing, which is earthed. So there are negligible electric fields outside it. Your house wiring is not shielded, so it provides the vast majority of all your EMF exposure.

And it's harmless.

Zen65 wrote: »
    The reading is the same in all those houses because the readings you see are coming from the house wiring. The EMF strength varies as the usage in the house varies, because EMF results from the voltage (same all the time) and the current (increases with usage).

The substation you describe is inside a metal casing, which is earthed. So there are negligible electric fields outside it. Your house wiring is not shielded, so it provides the vast majority of all your EMF exposure.

And it's harmless.

Thanks very much. Yes, it is in metal casing. 20KV I believe so.

What do you think about the hum noise? I can it hear it easily from approx 2/3m from the side (no need to stand right in front to hear it) but can't really hear few more metres further away during day time and I also think that majority of the houses are not yet connected on full usage as it is a new estate. Do you think the noise will increase when it's on full usage? Or the hum noise stays similar/same? Probably the estate has 90+- houses, so I wonder when they are fully connected whether the noise will increase? I also assume the EMFs should not change much?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

What do you think about the hum noise?

Normally the hum noise cannot be heard inside your house. You can hear it near the substation because it contains a transformer with an iron core which behaves a bit like a loudspeaker, and it vibrates in tandem with the mains frequency 50Hz and also its harmonics most notably 150Hz. The volume does increase with the current, but not a lot. I've rarely heard anyone say they could hear it from within their house.

Every electrical appliance in your house also emits some low-frequency noise, but you probably don't hear it.

Z

Zen65 wrote: »
    Normally the hum noise cannot be heard inside your house. You can hear it near the substation because it contains a transformer with an iron core which behaves a bit like a loudspeaker, and it vibrates in tandem with the mains frequency 50Hz and also its harmonics most notably 150Hz. The volume does increase with the current, but not a lot. I've rarely heard anyone say they could hear it from within their house.

Every electrical appliance in your house also emits some low-frequency noise, but you probably don't hear it.

Z

Thanks! So it seems there is nothing really to worry about in terms of these estate 20/10KV substations. It seems they are not harmful and does not release any other chemicals. I assume they would not be built in current times beside homes in short distance if it was harmful or if it would affect selling prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Hi Kramer,

The main concern would be magnetic field, health and safety for children and of course re-sale value. The thing is that the house is in great location in the estate that we really like and we don't really want to change unless the substation can have bad effects in the future on the family.

Thank you

Get yourself a tinfoil hat, and you'll be fine.

Edit: Should this thread be in Conspiracy Theories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You may have more to worry about the effects of 5ghz radiowaves than power substations.
    In Germany the jury's still out on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement