Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem after LASIK

• 22-04-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I had lasik done to restore distance vision. Being in my 40s I knew I would still need reading glasses after the surgery. Soon after the surgery I realised that one eye was very different to the other in that it had been made very short sighted. So now havIe one eye that is good for distance and the other eye is good for reading at a fixed distance. Everything further than around 40 - 45 cm is blurred. It's monovision I suppose but that was never the plan as I wouldn't have wanted that option.

So having gone back for the 3 month check up they said that they had tried to give some closer vision in one eye but had overdone it. As this is not the desired outcome and not working out for me at all they have offered that to do that eye again to make it long sighted.

So the dilemma now is do I go back to the same person to have a second laser surgery to fix the problem even though there is now a confidence issue as it would appear that some sort of mistake must have been made in the adjustment of one of the eyes.

And it seems to be an unusual situation as internet searches down throw up a similar scenario so was just hoping for some opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WiseOptician

sudzs wrote: »
    I had lasik done to restore distance vision. Being in my 40s I knew I would still need reading glasses after the surgery. Soon after the surgery I realised that one eye was very different to the other in that it had been made very short sighted. So now havIe one eye that is good for distance and the other eye is good for reading at a fixed distance. Everything further than around 40 - 45 cm is blurred. It's monovision I suppose but that was never the plan as I wouldn't have wanted that option.

So having gone back for the 3 month check up they said that they had tried to give some closer vision in one eye but had overdone it. As this is not the desired outcome and not working out for me at all they have offered that to do that eye again to make it long sighted.

So the dilemma now is do I go back to the same person to have a second laser surgery to fix the problem even though there is now a confidence issue as it would appear that some sort of mistake must have been made in the adjustment of one of the eyes.

And it seems to be an unusual situation as internet searches down throw up a similar scenario so was just hoping for some opinions on this.

Your cornea will be thinner now after the first treatment.
    It will be even thinner again after a second treatment and make you much more prone to the side effects of constant dry irritated eyes.

I would think very carefully before having a second treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Your cornea will be thinner now after the first treatment.
    It will be even thinner again after a second treatment and make you much more prone to the side effects of constant dry irritated eyes.

I would think very carefully before having a second treatment

Thanks for the reply WiseOptician. I went back to the surgeon (it wasn't one of the high street chains) in the end and they are going to adjust the nearsighted eye to make it longsighted. I asked if there was enough corneal tissue to do this and they said yes.

I can't possibly leave the eyes the way they are. What are the alternatives??

Thanks for the reply WiseOptician. I went back to the surgeon (it wasn't one of the high street chains) in the end and they are going to adjust the nearsighted eye to make it longsighted. I asked if there was enough corneal tissue to do this and they said yes.

I can't possibly leave the eyes the way they are. What are the alternatives??

I would trust an independant ophthalmologist more than one working for the high street chains.
    Even if you have plenty of corneal thickness left your risk of side effects increase with a second surgery.
    Your other options are an intra ocular lens implant (has its own risks assosiated with it) , or to imuse glasses just for intermediate (computer) vision

I would trust an independant ophthalmologist more than one working for the high street chains.
    Even if you have plenty of corneal thickness left your risk of side effects increase with a second surgery.
    Your other options are an intra ocular lens implant (has its own risks assosiated with it) , or to imuse glasses just for intermediate (computer) vision

I doubt they would be prepared to give me an ocular lens implant instead of another laser surgery, certainly not at no extra cost to me!

I have dry eyes since the first surgeries, had conjunctivitis in both eyes (viral??) and a nasty stye. Never had any eye problems before this. I am a bit concerned about a second surgery causing more problems but I do need to get the distance vision back in that eye. I sometimes have to cover the short sighted eye to see properly, eg to read subtitles on TV.

I'll have to have another think about it all but I will probably go ahead and have the laser done. Hope I don't regret it! Thanks again WiseOptician :)

I'll have to have another think about it all but I will probably go ahead and have the laser done. Hope I don't regret it! Thanks again WiseOptician :)

Do your research on it. Ask surgeon exactly how much corneal thickness you have left and get second opinion based on that.

Most treatments work great but side effects can be debilitating in some cases

• Advertisement

Do your research on it. Ask surgeon exactly how much corneal thickness you have left and get second opinion based on that.

Most treatments work great but side effects can be debilitating in some cases

Thanks again for the advice WiseOptician.

So if I get the eye adjusted again can I expect to have the same vision in both eyes? So if I put on a pair of ready readers of say +1, I should be able to read clearly with vision in both eyes more or less the same. Would that be a realistic expectation ?

Advertisement