Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Fianna Fail - Sinn Fein coalition inevitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

An SF coalition with FG or FF is probable at some point. It's also probable it will destroy SF just like it did labor and the progressive democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A coalition where the numbers on each side are relatively close is different and would probably only work if each side has the same numbers in the Cabinet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    If SF fall in polling faster then FF go up (the IT poll today), there won't be enough of them to create a coalition anyway

And drops again in both polls out today, although the difference between each is stretching the margin of error for both so one or other has bad sampling or a bad statistical model (or both)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that SF getting absolutely battered this weekend yet people wanting a United Ireland is at an all time record high.
    I know they don’t own the idea but just watch and see Leo turn hard to catch this headwind. As he always does. But FF won’t hesistate to go into coalition with SF. And it will be to SFs detrement if they do.
    This is a really good piece by McWilliams

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1132207766477725701?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that SF getting absolutely battered this weekend yet people wanting a United Ireland is at an all time record high.
    I know they don’t own the idea but just watch and see Leo turn hard to catch this headwind. As he always does. But FF won’t hesistate to go into coalition with SF. And it will be to SFs detrement if they do.
    I wouldn't read too much into the exit poll questions and responses. There has been no real debate or discussion around united Ireland. Most people have had no opportunity to think it through and take a position. You might as well have asked them what team is going to win the All Ireland.

• Advertisement

I’d agree about people in general but the idea has started to come into the narrative thanks to brexit. I’d say we’d be foolish to at least not to start planning for it.

If FF can transfer their vote in the local elections, now looks like over 27% v FG under 22%, they become the largest party in the Dail. It would then look like a Rainbow Coalition of parties. The better option for FF would be to have a number of partners. Who those would be, would all depend in the numbers. It might still be a minority Govn't with the goodwill of FG.

FF got that much?

Christ we have short memories in this country. I thought they’d be done for for at least another decade

^^^^ apt user name. Take your own medicine 'reg.

FG may end up higher than I posted, around 25%.
    Leo now has a choice, running by-elections or GE in the Autumn. He might go with by-elections as none of them will be Govn't seats anyway, I think.
    Billy Kelleher, Claire Daly & Mick Wallace. Add or subtract from that list.

• Advertisement

^^^^ apt user name. Take your own medicine 'reg.

That’s addressing my post how exactly?
    It wasn’t a complaint either. Fianna Failure ruined this country. And recently. It’s bizarre that they’re still even an entity never mind still in the Dáil. And people somehow seem to have forgotten. That’s not a complaint. That’s an observation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Water John wrote: »
    FG may end up higher than I posted, around 25%.
    Leo now has a choice, running by-elections or GE in the Autumn. He might go with by-elections as none of them will be Govn't seats anyway, I think.
    Billy Kelleher, Claire Daly & Mick Wallace. Add or subtract from that list.

Delete the tax-cheat and replace with Frannie Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Wanting a United Ireland doesn't have to translate to support for a party that condoned murder and other atrocities and utter disregard of the ballot box in the past.

I know they don’t own the idea

No, they don't. But they talk and act as if they do. Any jackass could tell you that a UI will come about only when a significant proportion of Northern Protestants come to that view, and they will not be brought there by being constantly barracked about it, by SF in particular. The less SF have to say about it the more likely they are to come around. But will SF keep mum? No, because self-advancement is more important to them than the "core principles" they so loudly profess, as witness their claim to be a party of the left in Ireland, while claiming to be a pro-business party in New York when they are shaking down the idiots who would be better employed agitating to return California to Mexico or the Carolinas to the Cherokee, or Puerto Rico to the Puerto Ricans.

but just watch and see Leo turn hard to catch this headwind. As he always does.

If you are referring to UI, let's hope not. Let's hope that FG and other parties continue to say little on the matter. Hasten slowly as advised by Seamus Mallon, possibly the greatest Ulsterman of the period 1969-1996.
    With all their talk of a UI, SF have done as much analysis of it and its attendant side effects as the Little Englanders did of Brexit,

But FF won’t hesistate to go into coalition with SF. And it will be to SFs detrement if they do.

The only thing that worries me about SF going into oblivion is that some of their supporters might turn to the car bomb again. Some people must be given power before they will conduct themselves in a civilised manner (e.g. Paisley too.) But the rest of us shouldn't be intimidated by that prospect.

P.S. In saying all of this nobody should be under any illusions about Unionist and British scum behaviour as by the thugs of Burntollet and the Parachute Regiment. It should have been left to the elected representatives of the minority community to deal with that, not to self-appointed warlords who had no mandate.

feargale wrote: »
    Wanting a United Ireland doesn't have to translate to support for a party that condoned murder and other atrocities and utter disregard of the ballot box in the past.

No, they don't. But they talk and act as if they do. Any jackass could tell you that a UI will come about only when a significant proportion of Northern Protestants come to that view, and they will not be brought there by being constantly barracked about it. The less SF have to say about it the more likely they are to come around. But will SF keep mum? No, because self-advancement is more important to them than the "core principles" they so loudly profess, as witness their claim to be a party of the left in Ireland, while claiming to be a pro-business party in New York when they are shaking down the idiots who would be better employed agitating to return California to Mexico or the Carolinas to the Cherokee, or Puerto Rico to the Puerto Ricans.

If you are referring to UI, let's hope not. Let's hope that FG and other parties continue to say little on the matter. Hasten slowly as advised by Seamus Mallon, possibly the greatest Ulsterman of the period 1969-1996.
    With all their talk of a UI, SF have done as much analysis of it and its attendant side effects as the Little Englanders did of Brexit,

The only thing that worries me about SF going into oblivion is that some of their supporters might turn to the car bomb again. Some people must be given power before they will conduct themselves in a civilised manner (e.g. Paisley too.)

P.S. In saying all of this nobody should be under any illusions about Unionist and British scum behaviour as by the thugs of Burntollet andcthe Parachute Regiment. It should have been left to the elected representatives of the minority community to deal with that, not to self-appointed warlords who had no mandate.

100% agree all parties here should keep silent on the UI issue. SF if they had any sense especially. I’m just seeing it all over the place in media. It’s almost like laying the seed down. We know Leo goes where the wind is blowing co opts the idea and tries to pass it off as his own. He recently was asked and said it ‘still remains an aspiration’ as it is in the constitution.
    I can see Martin and FF being far more open to the idea in a genuine sense and I’m no fan of him or Leo.

If this SF vote carries through to the next general election, the chances of them holding the balance of power is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

If this SF vote carries through to the next general election, the chances of them holding the balance of power is tiny.

Its going to be really interesting to see if they change leader and which direction they move.

Theres a good chunk of the party (and its angry twitterati:pac:) that never wanted government anyway but Mary Lou, Doherty, O Broin etc etc are full time professional politicians and would surely have hopes of a ministerial career.

They arent RBB/Coppinger angry types.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They were bamboozled by uber liberal carpet baggers who looked on SF as the handiest vehicle for their own agenda and careers. The self righteous crusades they were launching, Asylum Seekers, Traveller gangs, Islamic nutters, MLMcD snapping about men mansplaining to her. All box office poison not just to their voters but their own membership. I know SF guys who were fairly senior backroom types since the 80s who've now walked away, mostly over the Stalinist way the party was dealing with any dissenters.

Post 2008 they should have tried to become a version of what FF were prior to Haughey, instead they decided to become Democratic Left :D

Bambi wrote: »
    They were bamboozled by uber liberal carpet baggers who looked on SF as the handiest vehicle for their own agenda and careers.
    This seems like a bit of a conspiracy theory, that people would pick SF of all parties as a vehicle. It might happen a bit with FF/FG, but SF were fairly clearly in their own space, so wouldn't really work as a vehicle.

Who are the people that you had in mind with this comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is it at an all time record high?

65% is surprisingly low, given that that nobody has explained to the people the tax rises and social welfare cuts that will be needed to pay for a united Ireland.

At the time of the general election results, I claimed that we had seen peak Sinn Fein at the last local and European elections.

It is clear now that was right. The question now is whether they have hit the bottom or whether it is going to bump along at this level, a little up, a little down at the next few elections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I'd be grand with a Fianna Fail - Sinn Fein coalition. Might be the closest thing to a left wing government we ever get! Sinn Fein in a position of power would shift the governance of Ireland to the left, while Fianna Fail would temper the lunatic jingoistic Republican branch of the Sinn Fein party and stop them from doing too much damage.

Fine Gael's time is up. Varadkar's government's legacy will be the housing crisis.

Fine Gael are living on another planet. Ridiculous that they are blaming their member who fell off a swing for their election woes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

As for Sinn Fein I don’t think they are seen as two radical to share power with, or two unpredictable. The Greens will be seen as a safer option to share power with and with their recent upsurge in popularity, I’m sure Fine Gael and Fine Fáil will be happy to make a deal with them. I have nothing personal against Sinn Fein, but their views on a united Ireland, would put off a major party.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blanch152 wrote: »

65% is surprisingly low, given that that nobody has explained to the people the tax rises and social welfare cuts that will be needed to pay for a united Ireland.

Surprisingly low? You're starting to sound like the Baghdad Bob of Partition at this stage :o

Bambi wrote: »
    Surprisingly low? You're starting to sound like the Baghdad Bob of Partition at this stage :o

Anything less than 75-80% of support for a united Ireland in the South is surprising, especially that there has been zero public debate on the costs and the unintended consequences.

After all, abolishing jobs for the politicians in the Senate was supposed to be a no-brainer as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Not gonna happen now. Fianna Fail don't need Sinn Fein.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only because FF can't get a majority with the massively reduced number of TDs SF would get. They'll need someone

blanch152 wrote: »

You’re assuming that has to be explained to them? They haven’t thought about it themselves at any point, before answering Seriously?
    You should read the david McWilliams article I posted above. He disagrees with you and says it would not only be affordable, it would be a huge economic success quite quickly.

As for paying for it, we found €50 billion euro overnight to bail out the banks.
    I think we can manage a few billion a year for NI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

How do you figure that?

You’re assuming that has to be explained to them? They haven’t thought about it themselves at any point, before answering Seriously?
    You should read the david McWilliams article I posted above. He disagrees with you and says it would not only be affordable, it would be a huge economic success quite quickly.

As for paying for it, we found €50 billion euro overnight to bail out the banks.
    I think we can manage a few billion a year for NI

Is that the same David Mcwilliams who dreamed up the bank guarantee when Brian Lenihan called to his kitchen?

Is he trying to top that success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭mattser

Shinners got their holes well and truly kicked.

Tiocfaidh ar la. Up the rebels. England get out of Ireland.

:D:D:D Keep it up lads. Ye're playing a blinder.

Advertisement