Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GMIT or NUIG

• 24-02-2019 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Sorry for my bad English. I am an International student who is planning to study in Galway. Not from any of the EU countries. I am still deciding if I should go to GMIT or NUIG. I will be taking Business Information Systems (Honours). Perks of me going to GMIT is that I would be given a 25% scholarship. Am curious about the work placement for both of the university and also careers after studying. Will there be a big difference for me going to NUIG or GMIT? Thanks in advance and I do hope the locals in Galway are friendly :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have thought a 25% scholarship makes the decision, no?
    Both fine places to study, in the best part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

NUIG is a university, part of the group of national university of Ireland group. GMIT is a technical college, which gives degrees. Purely from snobbery I would choose NUIG as it looks more prestigious on your CV. In Ireland it is generally harder to get a place in a university than an IT (you need higher grades from school). Im not sure which has better teaching or job prospects though and I’m talking in general terms not specifically about your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The GMIT course contains a 13 week work placement in year 3. The NUIG course doesn't have placement.

A 25% scholarship is also a significant bonus and would look good to employers about your academic ability.

The number of people in the GMIT course is also smaller than in NUIG, around 25 people. Small class sizes are great for getting to know classmates and the lecturers get to know you well also.

Galway is a great place to study. You'll love it, whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I would say that all state universities in Ireland (they both are) are excellent. I would imagine IT courses would have better (more practical) courses in computer related things, but that might just be a personal prejudice: About 10 years ago a friend of my completed a programming degree in UCC, and had never compiled any code; they taught him how to write the code by hand... that's how impractical it was. I'm sure that is not the case anymore anywhere, but it gives you an idea about how Universities have a different philosophy to ITs.

I went to GMIT, there were wonderful facilities, everything you could want, but i know that NUIG will be equally good in terms of that. Also my friends who went to universities rather than ITs couldn't believe that my lecturers knew my name (knew all our names) and were available if i wanted to ask a question!

What did you choose in the end? Best of luck in your studies, I know you will love either option

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Meiji16

Thanks everyone for replying and giving me confidence. I have decided to enroll in GMIT and I am very excited to study in GMIT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement