Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online CBT??? Help

• 19-04-2018 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi All

just a quick question if anyone can help that would be great.
    About a year or two ago i stumbled across an irish online course for CBT.. had a quick breeze through it and it looked quite helpful. I didn't need the service at the time but in recent months times have been quite hard. Does anyone know of any online CBT Courses. It would be a great help.

Thanks in advanve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Do you mean for your own mental health or for a qualification?

If it is the former , then Awares "Lifeskills" course is very good, and is based on CBT. All info is on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I second what Llewellen said. I also highly recommend the book "Feeling Good" by David M. Burns. It's especially useful if your issue is one of the ones he especially goes into (anxiety about love, status, money, anger management, and others I forget) but even if your current challenge is completely unrelated, as it was when I first read the book, it's really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I have that book in my bedside locker. An absolute gem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Introduction to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Free. Online. Self-paced. From Udemy. Source: https://www.class-central.com/tag/cbt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Does anyone have feedback on the online cbt courses?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

restive wrote: »
    Does anyone have feedback on the online cbt courses?
    You really have to be self-motivated to keep up with online classes of any sort. Many don't finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

On the other hand an NHS trial of online/blended CBT in England found that the majority of people who started the online component finished and even spent multiple hours every day using the resource, so I wouldn't warn anyone off it by suggesting to them they might not be motivated, there's only one way to find out.

I've only studied CBT through books, not the internet, but I found it works really well in a self-teaching capacity, because the tools are really practical and straightforward. Of course a real live therapist is always the best option but it's not always possible

There's a free app called woebot as well that isn't hard to keep up because it (he?) just does one exercise with you a day.

I had a look at the free one on Udemy from the NI man. It started theory heavy, I think i'd have put that stuff at the end and jumped right into trying to help the person get that far, but woebot does that, so you could always use both together, i bet they'd compliment each other well.

( this is TOTALLY off topic but I also think those statistics about online courses are incredibly skewed by people starting the course just to look at it, deciding they don't like it, and never coming back. I think if you spend more than 2 days on it you end up finishing it, and i don't think people who spend less than one session on it should be included in the statistics, but they always seem to be. I've completed dozens of online courses but i've signed up for hundreds, including that free Udemy CBT one.... which i might go back to? )

Advertisement