Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No-Deal Brexit and Equines

• 01-04-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Brexit-horses-29-03-19.pdf

The Dep of Agriculture, Food and Marine have issued a guide on what a no-deal Brexit will mean for the transport of horses to and from GB.

The gist of it is:

• The Tripartite will no long exist
    • Movement of horses from Ireland to the UK will stay relatively the same
    • The UK will need to be listed to be allowed to bring horses into the EU, after which there will still be restrictions-
    1. Horses can only enter via a Border Inspection Post. We currently only have Dublin and Shannon airport, so until the shipping ports are approved, horses can only be flown in.
    2. Horses will need documentation, certification, and vet clearance before entering, along with possibly an isolation time depending on what category of listing they are granted.
    3. If granted a lower category, further requirements may be necessary.
    • Horses going to GB for an event will need a health cert to come back.
    • Horses traveling to mainland Europe and visa versa can travel with documents, but need to use the Border Inspection Posts. As we only have the airports at the moment, that likely doesn't apply for horses coming from mainland Europe to us very often. However, if this applies to crossing the border here, then we're going to be very limited.

It's unclear how much of this applies to the North.

They really are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Whilst this isn't likely going to affect top competition riders who travel internationally anyway, it's going to have a fair impact on lower level riders and dealers. I wonder how it's going to work with people who work with animals across the border (farriers, physios, dentists etc?). If all those restrictions do apply to the North, which is most likely, it's going to be a pain for those here in Donegal to get anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

The whole thing is a disaster and will certainly hurt the equestrian economy that no one wants to acknowledge except THE day Ireland wins a Gold Medal...
    I'm hearing a lot of complaints right now from people on both side of the border as they have now to have vet checks etc 20 days (I think) ahead of any movement. Meaning that participating to any event or training has to be forecast so long ahead that it makes life hugely complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

isaos wrote: »
    The whole thing is a disaster and will certainly hurt the equestrian economy that no one wants to acknowledge except THE day Ireland wins a Gold Medal...
    I'm hearing a lot of complaints right now from people on both side of the border as they have now to have vet checks etc 20 days (I think) ahead of any movement. Meaning that participating to any event or training has to be forecast so long ahead that it makes life hugely complicated.

It's completely unpractical and I'm not sure how sustainable it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

So with the flextension to October I presume all this no deal planning is off the table for now?

Hope so as I will be travelling a horse to Scotland in August and wouldn't want to have to go through that health cert process on the return trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Imhof Tank wrote:
    So with the flextension to October I presume all this no deal planning is off the table for now?

Yup, continuing as normal for now!

Advertisement