Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living on a boat in Galway

• 31-03-2019 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about liveaboards in Galway. I'm looking into getting a boat and living on it in or around the city - a barge or a motor cruiser I reckon. I've asked two councilors on the board of Lough Corrib Navigation Trustees, they actually didn't know what the story was and haven't gotten back to me after over a week.

I know that it's not illegal, no real legislation around it - just wondering about places I could moor (the marina said they don't allow it), that kind of thing. If you or anyone you know has lived on a boat in Galway or just knows the story with local mooring spots and how this might work, I'd really appreciate any info you have!

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Waterways Ireland decide where ye live on the country's rivers or canals unless you're going private marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Malonruil

Nope, it's not in their jurisdiction - Lough Corrib Navigation Trustees manage Lough Corrib and the river, but they're saying nobody's ever asked them about this and they haven't been able to answer me (find it hard to believe that nobody has asked to be honest - Waterways Ireland don't like liveaboards but there's no legislation against it, getting the same feeling from the Galway authority as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Maybe some one in the lough Corrib branch of the IWAI might be able to give you more info on where to ask.

As for WI and liveaboards, I don't think they have a problem with liveaboards that comply with the byelaws. ie move on every 5 days or get the correct permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Wasn't there a barge tied up at the inward end of Lough atalia? Maybe ask the owner ( if its still there)

Advertisement