Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best design modeling softwares for jobs in Dublin?

• 02-02-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a mechanical engineer. Could you please say what are the best design modeling softwares to learn for jobs in Dublin? I know AUTOCAD but like to know what are the other softwares in demand? Ex: solidworks, catia etc.?

Regards,
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Autodesk inventor.

Plain old AutoCAD is fairly old hat at this stage. I don't know are many people using it anymore unless it's one of the hifalutin versions like AutoCAD Civil 3D or some of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Autodesk inventor.

Plain old AutoCAD is fairly old hat at this stage. I don't know are many people using it anymore unless it's one of the hifalutin versions like AutoCAD Civil 3D or some of the others.

Inventor and Solidworks are the main two programs taught in colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Autodesk Revit and Solidworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭kevincool

Autodesk Revit and Solidworks.

For mechanical engineers, is it revit mep which I need to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Yes you need Revit MEP. I have been using it the last few months.

• Advertisement

Depends with Revit. If you are a mechanical engineer working in building services or anything relating to buildings then Revit is absolutely essential. If you are working on other things though, like machinery, automotive, etc then Revit isn't really relevant.

Depends with Revit. If you are a mechanical engineer working in building services or anything relating to buildings then Revit is absolutely essential. If you are working on other things though, like machinery, automotive, etc then Revit isn't really relevant.

What’s relevant for other things like machinery etc.?

I'd be thinking Inventor, Solidworks.

But I am civil/structural engineer so I wouldn't be as well up on the mechanical modelling side of things. What I would say unless your work has a heavy element of building services or similar to it, then Revit or any of it's verions like MEP would be of limited beneefit to you.

Microstation, but I think that's more geared towards structural engineering and is, at this stage, way behind the competition as it is very old hat from my limited experience of it. The only user I know is Gas Networks Ireland who use it for asset management but it seems they only use it now because it was what they used in the past and all their records are in that format.

One plus of Solidworks is the absolutely huge community around it.

Every question you have has already been answered on some forum.

Thousands of videos online too. Inventor is just not as prolific as SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

OP, you're better off searching for jobs you're interested in and seeing what packages they require. It varies by company, mech design is generally Solidworks or Inventor, maybe Catia in aero or auto. However, there'll be some NX users and others around too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Autodesk inventor.

I use autocad on a daily basis. Some drawings/designs aren't automated.

Do we need a dedicated graphics card for these softwares to run on a laptop? I am planning to buy one for practice.

kevincool wrote: »
    Do we need a dedicated graphics card for these softwares to run on a laptop? I am planning to buy one for practice.

Nope, not at the start.

Maybe when things get complex you can invest in one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nope, not at the start.

Maybe when things get complex you can invest in one.

You can get cad specific graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭G-Man

I am using Fusion 360 a lot.. Its my first 3D cad.. I find it very good. I guess experienced users might say something else. Huge community as well. Runs well on i5 laptop 8Gb ram, regular intel graphics, but maybe my designs are not very big.

Advertisement