Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendation: something that blew your mind

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Man's search for meaning by Viktor Frankl. It's just remarkable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_Search_for_Meaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

jaqian wrote: »
    I've heard "Atlas Shrugged" mentioned many times on the web and decided to give it a go but really struggling to finish it. When they're not having sex (like something out of Mills & Boon) her characters are giving looong speeches. Determined to finish it to see where its going but not enjoying as much as I was.

I have to say it's possibly the worst book I've ever read. Dagny and her contemptuous looks indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart. Thirty True Things You Need to Know Now. By Gordon Livingston, m.d.

A short little book, but a great insight into the dynamics of husband / wife and family relationships.

Really practical and common sense. A bit uncomfortable to read in places - it certainly challenges many assumptions that you hold.

But well worth the effort. Worth re-reading every so often, to remind yourself how family interactions are triggered. Particularly in husband / wife relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Howyahorse

Bill Cullen's Its a long way from Penney Apples..
    Read it about 5 years ago and it has kept me motivated and working hard ever since
    On my must read list for next month..mind you it'll be the only book i'll read!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Homer and Langley - E. L. Doctorow

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 bleet

great thread, thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

A Course in Miralces - can't remember the name of the authors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

The Third Policeman (Flann O'Brien)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Kurt Vonnegut salughterhouse 5 gave me some perspective on time, really a brilliant read!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Time's Arrow (Martin Amis)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Collected Stories of John Cheever.

The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Freud and Einstein both hailed it as a masterpiece, and Kurt Vonnegut claimed that everything you need to know in life is smashed down into this book.

Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

The diceman.Luke Rinehart.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

minnow wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking for a book recommendation. Something different to the run of the mill. I'm asking here rather than the literature forum because I am looking for something different and excitng with new ideas.
    It can be fiction/non fiction and be any genre, main thing is it had a huge effect on you when you read it.
    Thanks

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielowski

Blew my mind anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson
    "Fugitive Pieces" by Anne Michaels
    "Cloud Atlas"* and "Ghostwritten", both by David Mitchell
    "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" and "The Custodian of Paradise", both by Wayne Johnston
    "Salt and Saffron", "Kartography" and "In The City by the Sea" by Kamila Shamsie
    "The Solace of Leaving Early" and "Something Rising (Light and Swift)" both by Haven Kimmel
    "Ferney" by James Long (still reading the sequel: "The Lives She Left Behind")
    "Ghost MacIndoe" and "Invisible" by Jonathan Buckley
    "Skellig" by David Almond (a children's author)
    "Life of Pi"* by Yann Martel

*Already mentioned a few times by other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Esho

"Meetings With Remarkable Men" - G.I. Gurdjieff (non fiction)
    Interesting stories of an interesting mind, from a culture so, so different from our own.
    Read it over 20 years ago, still floats into my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mythago wood

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Lynn Vincent and Todd Burpo. Its very inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MrSquishSquash

"Keep the Aspidistra Flying" by George Orwell, altered my perspective on wealth and status somewhat. Worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

"Nothing" by Janne Teller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Without a doubt the most unsettling book I ever read (and thereby one of the most effective) was The Wasp Factory.

It's a strange book, and I loved how unsure I felt reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanthemon

My first post! Hello everyone!! The wasp factory an incredible book, i concur. My own suggestion is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. I tend to read fiction mostly, but this is simply a wonderful look at mankind and its history, with some interesting slants on things. Highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭sporina

seanthemon wrote: »
    My first post! Hello everyone!! The wasp factory an incredible book, i concur. My own suggestion is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. I tend to read fiction mostly, but this is simply a wonderful look at mankind and its history, with some interesting slants on things. Highly recommend it

started reading this and have parked it for now - i mostly read fiction and missed characters etc..

wish it wasn't so detailed

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I've never posted here before but love reading! Try for 2/3 books a month. At the moment I'm half way through And The Ass Saw The Angel by Nick Cave. Wow, dark and musty, fantastically written. I love it. Very different to his Bunny Monroe book in terms of setting and style of writing but both introduce very dysfunctional characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

sporina wrote: »
    started reading this and have parked it for now - i mostly read fiction and missed characters etc..

wish it wasn't so detailed

I'm about half way through and it's taken me over a year. Must go back to it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

For those who are aviation minded:

Fate is the Hunter - Ernest K Gann
    Fighter Pilot - Robert Prest
    Sagittarius Rising - Cecil Lewis

Non-fiction:
    Ignition! An unofficial history of rocket propellants - John D Clark
    The Perfect Storm - Sebastian Junger
    The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Scifi/Fantasy:

Anything by Terry Pratchett, Harry Harrison, Robert Rankin, Jasper Fforde or Tom Holt.
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold - fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*** by Mark Manson

Advertisement