Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent pair of earphones, wireless or not

• 14-05-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi.

Am interested in purchasing a good pair of earphones, whether they be wireless or not

Was looking at the jabra 65t or the newer galaxy buds.

Anybody have them? Or recommend a pair that are good quality and reasonable value.

Don't mind spending for the right pair

Primary use is for when out running.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

I use wired Monster isport Victory.
    (There are other Monster isport models)
    Great fit with the choice of wing tips and buds, they never fall out. The piece that fits into your ear canal swivels so that you can adjust it to fit securly.
    I'm on my 2nd pair, the only problem (slight) is that the cord gets stiff over time.
    I will def buy them again, but I'll get the wireless ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Hi.

Am interested in purchasing a good pair of earphones, whether they be wireless or not

Was looking at the jabra 65t or the newer galaxy buds.

Anybody have them? Or recommend a pair that are good quality and reasonable value.

Don't mind spending for the right pair

Primary use is for when out running.

Thanks

I just got the Jabra elite active 65t recently. Good sound quality. There are three size options. I'm using the smallest size for the gel buds. They fit deep into the ear and are secure in my ears. The volume controls and skip function are a bit awkward as you are pushing the earbud further into your ear. The controls on the right ear for answering calls, using siri and pausing/playing are much better. However, I have only ran in them a few times and I find I'm not 100% convinced they are as secure as I would like, and I think they would be better if they had wings like on the Jabra Elite Sport. The case and battery life seems good, but I have nothing to compare them to.

The best earphones I have had for comfort and fit while running are the Bose Soundsport (non bluetooth). It think there is a bluetooth version too. The soundsport free get fairly good reviews but they look a bit awkward and are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

I just got the Jabra elite active 65t recently. Good sound quality. There are three size options. I'm using the smallest size for the gel buds. They fit deep into the ear and are secure in my ears. The volume controls and skip function are a bit awkward as you are pushing the earbud further into your ear. The controls on the right ear for answering calls, using siri and pausing/playing are much better. However, I have only ran in them a few times and I find I'm not 100% convinced they are as secure as I would like, and I think they would be better if they had wings like on the Jabra Elite Sport. The case and battery life seems good, but I have nothing to compare them to.

The best earphones I have had for comfort and fit while running are the Bose Soundsport (non bluetooth). It think there is a bluetooth version too. The soundsport free get fairly good reviews but they look a bit awkward and are expensive.

Some good reviews on these too. I think it'll come down to whether I want the wire or not.

Can the buttons on the nose do skip track etc. That would be a plus for me in the jabra elite column

4Ad wrote: »
    I use wired Monster isport Victory.
    (There are other Monster isport models)
    Great fit with the choice of wing tips and buds, they never fall out. The piece that fits into your ear canal swivels so that you can adjust it to fit securly.
    I'm on my 2nd pair, the only problem (slight) is that the cord gets stiff over time.
    I will def buy them again, but I'll get the wireless ones.

Few people mentioning the stiffness of the cord actually looking at reviews. I think that would annoy me. Like the price point though compared to the other options.

I think it's between the jabra and the bose mentioned above. Just whether I want a wire or not. Thanks for the details

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

After spending the last 10 years trying a frankly ridiculous number of ear-phones, here are my picks:

Truely Wireless:

Jabra Elilte Sport https://www.emea.jabra.com/sports-headphones/jabra-elite-sport

My current daily driver. Good battery life (4hr on a single charge, 2 more charges in the case). Good sound. Reasonably good fit, they've never fallen out, but they do move sometimes in very sweaty conditions. The Bluetooth connection is good at short range, up to 5 meters, but sometimes cuts out if my body gets in the way. It has an optical heart rate monitor which can broadcast over Bluetooth Smart/BLE. I find that it always reads about 10 beats lower than my chest strap, but handy if you have no other HRM. It has better voice call quality than you would expect. Probably over-priced at around €220.

Bluetooth:

Anker Soundbud Sport NB10 https://www.anker.com/products/variant/soundbuds-sport-nb10-bluetooth-headphone/A32600M1

I've had these for about 3 years now. Great value at £30 on Amazon. I found the fit to be superb and they simply do not move when in use. Battery life is good, about 4 hours and they hold a charge forever. They are sweat-proof rather than water-proof and I did manage to kill my first pair, but they have a 18-month warranty and they were replaced without quibble. Rock solid Bluetooth connection, no dropouts.

Wired:

Shure SE215 https://www.shure.co.uk/products/earphones/se215

The best wired earphones I've found, but not cheap at £100. I have the clear version that are very discrete. They are tricky to but on the first time your try, but the over-the-ear design and the sturdy cable make them very secure and they last forever. The headphones themselves can be un-clipped from the cable which can be handy for routing through clothing. They come with multiple foam and rubber tips and found the foam ones to be best at noise isolation in the gym, but hardest to keep clean.

I know, I spend way too much time on sports earphones.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Just took delivery of a pair of creative outlier airs. These are to replace a set of Bose soundsports that the dog took a dislike to.

So far I'm blown away by the sound quality and ease of use. I'm only a day in so can't say long term. But 10 hours on a charge and the case adds 20...not bad.
    70 odd quid I'd call them a bargain!

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/creative/1409033/creative-outlier-air-review-true-wireless-earbuds

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Some good reviews on these too. I think it'll come down to whether I want the wire or not.

Can the buttons on the nose do skip track etc. That would be a plus for me in the jabra elite column

You can skip forward or back by holding down the up or down volume on the left ear bud for a second or so. Again it involves putting press on an earbud which is being pushed further into ear canal, so not too comfortable. But its doable, and the voice control is pretty good. I am able to switch between songs/artists/podcasts pretty easily with that.

RunDMC wrote: »
    I know, I spend way too much time on sports earphones.

I'm impressed at the recollection across them all!

I did mention at the start that i didnt mind paying for the right pair, but i think the elite are even a stretch for me. There doesnt seem to be much between the jabra elite 65t and the elite sport after looking at a few reviews but there is a good 60-70 euro, and i was already classing the 65t as expensive.

If i can make sure im missing out on anything fundamental with the 65t i think i have my mind made up.. i hope it is relatively sweat proof!

Went with the Jabra Elite Active 65t.

Will report back once i give them a good go!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

I have these 10 months now and they have stood the test of time. Worn them in all weather conditions no prob and no prob with sweat. They also stay in the ear fine for me, even during fast interval training and trail running. I have been through multiple different types of "sweat proof water proof" Bluetooth earphones and rarely havethey u lasted beyond 3/4 months. The jabra definetly worth the high price as they won't need to be replaced anytime soon.

• Advertisement

anker soundbuds curve

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundBuds-Headphones-Bluetooth-Waterproof-black/dp/B0721MP41Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=anker+curve&qid=1558211187&s=gateway&sr=8-1

12 hour battery life. decent sound. secure fit for running.

have had them 18 months and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Expensive, but I've been using the Trekz Air from Aftershokz. Have never missed a beat, great quality and the added benefit of not covering your ears from a safety perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Expensive, but I've been using the Trekz Air from Aftershokz. Have never missed a beat, great quality and the added benefit of not covering your ears from a safety perspective.

second the Trekz…have them a few months and they are excellent for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Just received my 2nd pair of these Chinese dodocool headphones after I stupidly lost the first ones. Can't go too far wrong for $16, sometimes even cheaper.

What are the bone conducting ones like as I can see those type for sale on aliexpress also for $20-30 so have always been tempted to give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

glasso wrote: »
    anker soundbuds curve

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundBuds-Headphones-Bluetooth-Waterproof-black/dp/B0721MP41Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=anker+curve&qid=1558211187&s=gateway&sr=8-1

12 hour battery life. decent sound. secure fit for running.

have had them 18 months and still going strong.

+1

Have the jabra elite 65t a week or so and been out for a few runs.

Sound quality as well as look and feel of the buds - very good. Comfortable for a run, doesn't fall out and comes with few spare buds.

Charging case is ****e. Not impressed. Very flimsy and what you do one time to open it won't work the next time.
    Battery life is good so I wouldn't need full charge too often but one big dent against them.

Overall happy and the case is the worst part abuut it

Advertisement