Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The grief junkies that would rather talk about deaths everyday than watch sport. Also you could also turn the sport off rather than get outraged it’s on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Also you could also turn the sport off rather than get outraged it’s on

Or maybe read a book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The list of most-watched television events is interesting.
    After the top 25 most-watched events, all sporting events, / funeral of Princess Diana / September 11 attacks / Live 8 / Michael Jackson memorial service / Live Aid.

8-10 wrote: »
    Or maybe read a book

Let’s not be too hasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I’ve no problem with sport, of course it’s a positive thing to have in our lives. However, it’s of no interest to me and I’d rather not hear so much about it in the mainstream TV and radio news reports. They might as well be talking about tiddlywinks. Surely those interested could check results online or watch Sky Sports Tiddlywinks HD 1.

Even in the current situation I am still hearing some sports reports! There is no sport – they are just clinching at straws to fill a few minutes of air time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Were you dropped on your head that you can't string sentence together? Maybe you should read a book now that there's no football coverage. You were probably one of the people who went to Cheltenham.

You are obviously an individual of uncommon discernment, culture, taste and intellect. May I ask what interests you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

But you care enough to post on the thread?

To comment yes, not to start a whole thread about it and chip in with the odd narky comment, maybe you should go for a bit of fresh air? do ya good.

Yes, it’s the amount of time that people waste outside of the main event itself. The constant coverage and analysis, the endless office talk about which players are pulling their weight. Or the best one is when two rival supporters in the office start slagging each other over which team made and or lost money on the buying and selling of players. Football teams in another country whose players aren’t even from the same continent and they refer to themselves as “We”. “We bought him for €50m and him for €60 whereas You bought that fella for €40 but he was crap and you sold him for €10m.” These people would be better off researching the stock market than that fantasy football bs that they play.

Seriously, they need to get a life.

Did someone hard-wire your head into the sports coverage for a laugh, or sellotape you to the spot where you can't do anything except overhear people talking about soccer? There is much more to sport than soccer - I myself dislike soccer, as it happens, not that I bang on about it - but I think this is really about you attempting to feel superior.

...Wahey! There's shit-loads of F1, MotoGP and Extreme Dudery material of all creeds and denominations on the Red Bull TV stream on my Roku. Happy days! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Still waiting for an answer on this OP.
    What are your hobbies OP? Be honest now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is watching Sports cumpulsory? No. so you can avoid it even when it's on.

Great thread though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Agree completely. The endless media coverage is the thing that really boils my piss. Radio is shocking for it. It's hard to find a station not covering or analyzing sport most weekends. Then in the evenings you have something like Off The Ball, 3 hours, 5 nights a week devoted to what is essentially a few lads down the pub having a chat about the most mundane minutiae. Most of it is pure filler, but it obviously commands big listenership figures from people who'd hate to have to spend 5 minutes of their day expanding their mind beyond ball games.

As for the brussel sprouts thing, the difference is those of us who hate them don't have to hear about them incessantly on every media platform going. The brussel sprout lovers aren't forcing them down our throat, which when you think about sports coverage on tv, radio, newspapers etc is more or less what's happening.

By all means put live sport on tv and radio. Go to town for world cups and olympics. Even the most indifferent person can appreciate the romance of a summer tournament and a whole country being enthralled by one event. By all means do analysis shows on tv and radio. But some bit of balance would be nice. The amount of coverage it gets you'd think it was life and death stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Finally some respite from all the nonsense and constant chatter about Rugby, GAA, Soccer and all the stats, what players are injured, what diet they're on, how many away points they need, how many games they won at home vs away games, the players confidence, how many yards or wtf they covered in 90 mins.

Are the people who avidly follow this rubbish having a type of mid life crisis where they realise how meaningless all this stuff is and now that there is this massive void in their life how much time they've been wasting or are they so lumpen that they will just mullock through life waiting for the next away game?

Im not a sports fan and sometimes thats all people in work talk about, so am glad I don't have to listen to that talk at the moment, particulairly rugby ****e talk. Haven't said that would listen to it all day long if things could go back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The media coverage and endless chatter in work gets fecking tedious alright. I do miss going to the bookies and placing the odd bet though. I like going to my local coffee shop on a Saturday morning and then heading over to Paddy Power. The little things I used to take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Still waiting for an answer on this OP.

I think we'll be waiting.

The wifi has been turned off on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Interesting the amount of personal attacks directed towards me for merely highlighting how much time people invest in following sports. Goes to show that when a crisis like this comes along and people are faced with the reality of what really matters in life, it has dawned on some people (whether they accept it or not) how much of their life they have wasted by spending inordinate amounts of time following football, rugby, GAA, whatever.

But at them same time, their behaviour is rational because this crisis has backed a lot of people into a corner and forced them to actually spend time on their own and reflect on what they are doing in life, what’s important, what is worth getting annoyed about. When people are backed into a corner and feel they are being attacked, the default reaction is to lash out.

Interesting the amount of personal attacks directed towards me for merely highlighting how much time people invest in following sports. Goes to show that when a crisis like this comes along and people are faced with the reality of what really matters in life, it has dawned on some people (whether they accept it or not) how much of their life they have wasted by spending inordinate amounts of time following football, rugby, GAA, whatever.

But at them same time, their behaviour is rational because this crisis has backed a lot of people into a corner and forced them to actually spend time on their own and reflect on what they are doing in life, what’s important, what is worth getting annoyed about. When people are backed into a corner and feel they are being attacked, the default reaction is to lash out.

You misunderstand.

What has annoyed people is someone expressing judgement on others peoples interests simply because you are not interested in the same thing.

I'm going to go with the concept that your annoyance with sports fans is rooted in a place of jealousy through not having such an interest in your life.

Also, don't take this as a personal attack. Me expressing a view is part of the discussion, same as you did yours.

You misunderstand.

What has annoyed people is someone expressing judgement on others peoples interests simply because you are not interested in the same thing.

I'm going to go with the concept that your annoyance with sports fans is rooted in a place of jealousy through not having such an interest in your life.

Also, don't take this as a personal attack. Me expressing a view is part of the discussion, same as you did yours.

But why would you be get annoyed at being judged? As individuals and a society we judge people all the time. If you’re so comfortable with your choices and interests why would the opinion of a stranger on the internet bother you? By getting annoyed you’re acknowledging that there is at minimum an element of truth in what I’m saying, otherwise why would you get annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I have spend decades analysing racehorse pedigrees.
    Thank God I didn't waste my time following football (do you mean soccer?), rugby, GAA, or that game you call whatever.
    I have invested time "following" horse racing, but I have also invested money, lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah, everyone talking about covid-19, number of infected, number of deaths, lockdown is so much more interesting than sport.

Donald Trump has USA top of that table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

But why would you be get annoyed at being judged? As individuals and a society we judge people all the time. If you’re so comfortable with your choices and interests why would the opinion of a stranger on the internet bother you? By getting annoyed you’re acknowledging that there is at minimum an element of truth in what I’m saying, otherwise why would you get annoyed?

Last pick all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Have they started showing those ‘e-sports’ things on Sky yet? They had them on last year. A load of wretched looking Korean lads playing video games for money.

Have they started showing those ‘e-sports’ things on Sky yet? They had them on last year. A load of wretched looking Korean lads playing video games for money.

Formula 1 did in e-grand prix which featured some of the real drivers.

E-sports is already huge but if it takes off over here it could be bigger than the real thing

That's not true at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Back to original question,,,, I'm strung out to see Shamrock rovers again, season ticket holder, I get to spend time with my son at every match we go to and it means the world to me, he's grown man and has his own issues but we get 2-3 hours together every friday and I look forward to this from a saturday morning till the next Friday, so I miss sports terribly

21/25

I'm not annoyed. At all.

This is a discussion board. That works both ways. This isn't some online psychology or philosophy class where you get to carry out judgement on everyone else.

Big Money. Like, huge Money.
    A 16 year old American won $3M for winning Fortnite and the total prize pot was $30M.
    An Irish tenager won 50K in the same competition.

By comparison, the prize pool in golf was $45M. For all 4 majors combined!

I have spend decades analysing racehorse pedigrees.
    Thank God I didn't waste my time following football (do you mean soccer?), rugby, GAA, or that game you call whatever.
    I have invested time "following" horse racing, but I have also invested money, lots of it.

And lost

OP you really aren't showing yourself in a good light here by not being able to engage in a discussion which you started.

What is it about sport that annoys you? Is it that you never got to play it? Just wasn't something that clicked for you?

Is there anything which you enjoy in the same way you see people enjoying sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

twprickers are you una mullany??
    it wud explain a lot
    peace out my friend

Advertisement