Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any else happy that there is no sports coverage?

123457»

Comments

Omackeral wrote: »
    A real adrenaline-filled tag line.

PGA tour on quite late at night. Very relaxing. I spend most time on my phone so its perfect to have on in the background.

Btw if I need adrenaline from it I can place a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like to have cycling on when ironing or cooking.

Where we live we are actually able to have fairly active and busy life despite Corona so I'm not exactly bored but I think I actually know a bit too much about Corona for my own good. Formula 1 race, football or similar would be nice distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

meeeeh wrote: »

Where we live we are actually able to have fairly active and busy life despite Corona so I'm not exactly bored but I think I actually know a bit too much about Corona for my own good. Formula 1 race, football or similar would be nice distraction.

The Tour de France is great, they've put that back to the end of August, hopefully things are much better by then and it can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I’m not interested in competitive sports so I just change the channel and watch other stuff even when it is on.

I’d consider myself quite the problem solver that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

God this a million times. There's moments I could actually enjoy soccer but it's so completely ruined by the constant falling over looking for free kicks/penalties. How fans can endure that sh*te is beyond me.

This is the thing that caused me to drift away from the premiership. Of course the diehards will never admit it, but the attitudes of players today versus those of 20 plus years ago is enormous.
    A lot of the diving and play acting has been imported with foreign players and coaches over the last 25 years and the culture has slowly changed from one of a sport which had plenty of hard hitting passionate contests to one where the personnel on the pitch care an awful more about their own contracts and luxurious lifestyles than actually winning trophies year in year out.

Clubs are multimillion businesses now and players are valuable assets so it stands to reason that the whole industry would eventually devolve into more of a theatre / spectacle than an actual sport. Very similar to F1. The safety standards and rule changes that ensure no driver dies in a car are also the changes which have killed the thrill of the sport as it was in years gone by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

meeeeh wrote: »

It’s weird, cycling I always found a really interesting watch on tv, for the sport, the racing primarily but also finding out about different places, getting an inside track on ideas for a holiday even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Agricola wrote: »
    This is the thing that caused me to drift away from the premiership. Of course the diehards will never admit it, but the attitudes of players today versus those of 20 plus years ago is enormous.
    A lot of the diving and play acting has been imported with foreign players and coaches over the last 25 years and the culture has slowly changed from one of a sport which had plenty of hard hitting passionate contests to one where the personnel on the pitch care an awful more about their own contracts and luxurious lifestyles than actually winning trophies year in year out.

Clubs are multimillion businesses now and players are valuable assets so it stands to reason that the whole industry would eventually devolve into more of a theatre / spectacle than an actual sport. Very similar to F1. The safety standards and rule changes that ensure no driver dies in a car are also the changes which have killed the thrill of the sport as it was in years gone by.

Yeah, back to shattered footballers legs and dying in a flaming car, much better.

I won't even get into the whole bloody foreigners ruining the game part. Makes one sound like a Big Sam type.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...The safety standards and rule changes that ensure no driver dies in a car are also the changes which have killed the thrill of the sport as it was in years gone by.

Jackie Stewart and Kenny Roberts Sr. would disagree. Grand Prix speeds are twice as high as they were back in the Good Old days, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

jimgoose wrote: »
    Jackie Stewart and Kenny Roberts Sr. would disagree. Grand Prix speeds are twice as high as they were back in the Good Old days, you know.

All the tracks are bland and boring these days with very limited options for overtaking. It’s a bit of a snooze fest. Slower cars with more overtaking, hairpins, mad chicanes, and multi car crashes is what the sport needs. Maybe the off fistfight as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

All the tracks are bland and boring these days with very limited options for overtaking. It’s a bit of a snooze fest. Slower cars with more overtaking, hairpins, mad chicanes, and multi car crashes is what the sport needs. Maybe the off fistfight as well.

Well, GP is more about driving technology than providing entertainment, but you do have a point. In fairness the newest more eco-friendly engines are less powerful than the howling V10/V12 monsters of a few years back. The overtaking is the best part of MotoGP though, it's proper hairy-arsed stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah, back to shattered footballers legs and dying in a flaming car, much better.

I won't even get into the whole bloody foreigners ruining the game part. Makes one sound like a Big Sam type.

Doesnt have to be blood and guts of the 60s/70s in either football or motor racing. There's a happy medium and I think it was achieved in the 90's and early 2000s when prem football was still a physical and highly competitive game but had been cleaned up massively by stricter regulations around fair play. F1 was stilll exciting and compelling to watch by hadnt been castrated completely by all the rule changes and car tech which arrived in the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well OP, I'm sad that the Olympics is postponed for a year because I love the Olympics and I don't know if I'll still be alive in a year to see them. I can only look ahead for a few months at a time because of the capricious disease I'm living with and right about now I would have started looking forward to the Olympics but now I can't and that is really shit.

Maybe being disappointed makes me a lumpen dullard. But the small things are what make life bearable. We all need escapism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's easy to avoid soaps though.

To be fair, sport and the media circus that accompanies it is almost all encompassing and coverage relentless in our culture. And if the coverage was good, you might forgive it but they have devoted so much time to it and consequently needs to fill so many hours, it has become completely inane.

Yes, following sport is relatively benign in the grand scheme of things and I like most I'm sure enjoy watching it. That said, I'm not one bit sad that the hype train has come of the rails.

It as easy to avoid sports as it is soaps. I know because I do it with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Fans using the word "we" when referring to the team they support. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm part owner of my club so I've no bother saying it :P

Once you get up off your hole and go then it’s fine. That said, I’m not missing the soccer or GAA nearly as much as I thought I would. It’s only 3 hours on a Friday and 3 hours on a Sunday that need to be otherwise filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm having withdraw symptoms from no longer hearing the name Sexton multiple times per day when I'm in earshot of the news.

I've actually no idea who he actually is but I'd guess rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm having withdraw symptoms from no longer hearing the name Sexton multiple times per day when I'm in earshot of the news.

I've actually no idea who he actually is but I'd guess rugby.

If you've heard him discussed several times a day for a period, and still don't know who he is, that doesn't reflect well on your ability to comprehend things does it?

I wouldnt be shining a light on that unless it was asking for advice on how to overcome this shortcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

What you have said in this post is mainstream thinking among diehards I think you'll find, and has been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

Yeah ive never understood or followed the obsession with football , maybe just because my da didn't either, but it refreshing not hearing people yap about the same 4 teams that everybody follows, I do miss the rugby however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement