Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

POTW 491: 12/10/19 - 18/10/19

• 17-11-2019 11:55am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

redape99
    48771036768_714f9e94a9_c.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

chewed
    48904526317_1ebae87c30_c.jpg

keps
    48900527082_2601770914_c.jpg

Adrian.Sadlier
    48915597687_003b7157a8_c.jpg

Mike Litoris
    48905605311_a11586c6c8_c.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS redape99
    WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Well done redape99- it's always a massive pleasure to see the native Irish Red Squirrel in its natural habitat:)

Thanks again Myksyk for the amazing work you do each week in keeping track of all the 'scores'.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

keps wrote: »
    Well done redape99- it's always a massive pleasure to see the native Irish Red Squirrel in its natural habitat:)

Thanks again Myksyk for the amazing work you do each week in keeping track of all the 'scores'.:)

I bet he keeps that poor squirrel on a chain along with the fox :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭redape99

Thanks all and great shots. Not much too say about this image except that it's not my pet squirrel or even an Irish squirrel this time! This was in the National Trust nature reserve in Formby near Liverpool which is well worth a visit if you're ever in the area. A population of red squirrels live in a very nice pine forest which borders onto sand dunes and a large beach. If you arrive very early you can get an hour or two to yourself before most people (and the dog walkers) start to visit. The squirrels there are helped along at times by the National Trust with supplementary feeding and so they're far easier to photograph than the camera-shy, suspicious Cork squirrels in Fota!

The main issue I'd have with these type of photos is noise when trying to keep a fast enough shutter speed for the unpredictable behaviour under gloomy tree cover. I use a combination of Lightroom with the Google Nik Collection Dfine2 plugin which can do a pretty good job up to around 6400 iso but I'd be interested to hear any tips on how others deal with excessive noise.

Advertisement