Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rim predicament

• 13-11-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I recently bought an xl650v and the rear wheel is unsalvageable. The cost of getting a new rim and spokes are just too high for the worth of the bike. So, I found a pair of nt650v alloys that are in great condition. The nt650v uses the same engine as the xl650v, but the rear wheel is shaft driven and slightly wider.

I really would like these wheels on the bike as it'll be more of a tourer then and less of an adv.

Would the nt650v go onto the xl650v easily and convert nicely to chain driven or what should I do?

I feel that this predicament is make or break for the bike now. It runs amazingly and is my first bike, but there are quite a few jobs to be done to it (Respraying fairings, repairing framework etc.)

If I can't get these wheels to fit (Haven't bought them yet) I may need to break up and sell the big in pieces.

Please help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Get the rims stripped, powdercoated and new spokes...its not that dear compared to trying to make other wheels fit....the shaft to chain is a no-go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Knikpiw

The rim is broken right at the valve so a new rim would need to be bought which would cost 100-150. So the rear wheel would have a total cost of 200-250 for everything, whereas I can get a set of front and rear nt650v wheels with tires for 200 euro. If I can't convert the shaft to chain then I may need to break the bike up and sell it off piece by piece then :shrug:

There's rims on ebay....there are other wheels that will fit..but you would need to commit to fitting them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Get the rims stripped, powdercoated and new spokes...its not that dear compared to trying to make other wheels fit....the shaft to chain is a no-go...

Of course it'll go - where there's a will there's a way, sure the shaft fits on a cush the same as a chain, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

If your goal is to modify the bike to fit different wheels that you like, then fit the different wheels. If your goal is to get it back on the road with the least amount of hassle and expenditure, then buy a good secondhand xl650v rim off ebay, or put a wanted ad up on xrv.org.uk/forums/

• Advertisement

I'd say he's long gone...probably bought a Golf..........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

newmember? wrote: »
    Of course it'll go - where there's a will there's a way, sure the shaft fits on a cush the same as a chain, no?

in a word: No.

Next ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

galwaytt wrote: »
    in a word: No.

Next ?

Please do explain...

Advertisement