Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call your 2019 goals

• 31-12-2018 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

* Finish IM Cork
    * Sub three in DCM

Both will be a real challenge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Swim 13:xx 1km and run 18:xx 5km in an aquathon.

Swim 50m free under 30s.

Run 5km+ every day (until I've a good reason not to).

23:xx 1,500m Nat LC Champs in Limerick.

Sub 3 DCM .

Continue to enjoy the training and racing, and all the benefits that goes with it.

(In a years time if I've hit any one of those I'd consider it a successful year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Sub 1.22 half marathon.
    Sub 3 at DCM.
    Train consistently and do a few triathlons again.
    Get better at fitting in S&C into every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Improve on 2018. I'm always very critical of myself but finishing stronger in the races i've done this year to me is a success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sub 9:40 IM
    DCM pb
    HIM pb
    First class honours in my Masters

If I hit 2 of these I will be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m going to regret this..

Gaelforce Dublin PB
    Sub 3 DCM
    IM Cork PB
    IM DL PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Finish a triathalon...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Bambaata wrote: »
    Finish a triathalon...

You back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

You back?

Hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Experiment a bit with training after doing much the same for last few years - more focus on strength and try drop couple of extra KGs

Run sub 43mins in an Oly - either Westport or Tri an Mhi

Do DCT (never raced it)

4:59:59 at Lost Sheep

Do a couple of CX races in autumn for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You back?

Hopefully. New job, less stress, more time to train....but a knee op likely needed first (medial meniscus tear), then hope to manage a foot issue better which stopped me running 2yrs back. Im in the pool the past 3 weeks so have started :)

Bike will still be focus though.

All going to plan and knee gets resolved:

Sub 1:10 sprint
    Sub 2:15 Oly
    Do a late season HIM
    Do Ras again (if it's on and I manage to get a team)
    Retain some of my cycling club champs (have 40k TT, 10m TT, criterium champs and hill climb at mo)
    Sub 55 40k TT

Being optimistic and will all be decided on how well and quick injury gets resolved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Main plan is to to race more, both running and tri's. I'd like to lower my 5k and 10k on and would like to think its a pretty achievable goal. Tri goal would be to get my club records in sprint, Olympic and half (if I get to race one this year). I'd like to win my age group in a NS race or place top 3 overall, preferably in a decent standard race, but I'll take what I can get!

Long term goal for this year is to work hard on the bike, all with the goal of going long again in 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

2019 for me will be about building up a base fitness to be in a position to consider a full IM in 2020.

Plan to be much more consistent with training and also drop 2 stone over the year. Aim to complete the Sheephaven Half this year after dropping out after the cycle in the heat in 2018 after poor preparation.

Started into HR-based Z2 training in the last couple of weeks after discovering I've spent the last few years busting out inconsistent training in "the grey zone" with limited improvements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not much of a sports goal setter anymore. Work, college and piles of family crap over the last couple of years have meant training has become more of something to keep fit and stop me punching people in the face, but...

Get over my irrational fear of getting back to run racing just because I'm not as fast as I used to be....vicious circle of needing to do races to get fit but 'fearing' racing because I'm going to finish in a crap time - same goes for any tris I might bail on..I've adopted a 'whats the point of midpack' mentality and forgotten about just enjoying this which is why we really do it. I've stopped enjoying running lately. Weird feeling.
    I'm registered for DCM...so yeah, run that. I'd like to say sub 3:15 but...
    No idea what I'm looking at tri wise, will do Nat Aquathon champs again and maybe a few localish races. Mulling over throwing my hat into Sheephaven and/or Tyrone again.
    Work and college are really my priority for the next couple of years, getting older and more responsible...
    No injury/crash related DNF's :rolleyes: Still not fully recovered from the crash in Tyrone in July so could probably do with sorting that (and getting my bike fixed)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Get swim below 1:35/100m and sustain pace over longer distances
    Build bike strength and get avg pace to 30km/h
    Consistent running and keep injury free - Add intervals into training
    Reach race weight before IM training starts

- Schull
    - Lost Sheep
    - IM Barcelona
    - Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

stop getting fat!
    sub 40 10k
    sub 90 half
    Kerryway Ultralite
    just going to run for the next year, maybe the HOW in June to break it up, hope to get back to long course when i hit the big 50 in 2 years:eek:

happy injury free 2019 to all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Get swim below 1:35/100m and sustain pace over longer distances
    Build bike strength and get avg pace to 30km/h
    Consistent running and keep injury free - Add intervals into training
    Reach race weight before IM training starts

- Schull
    - Lost Sheep
    - IM Barcelona
    - Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon

Be careful with the race weight goal. For most people, the weight tends to come off fast when you ramp up the hours and training for an IM. Being at race weight at the start of IM training could leave you losing too much weight and possibly power on the bike as you get closer to the race. There's the possibility of being injury prone also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

J o e wrote: »
    2019 for me will be about building up a base fitness to be in a position to consider a full IM in 2020.

Plan to be much more consistent with training....

On reflection my "goals" aren't measurable - new goal is to burn 100,000 calories from training (running, cycling, swimming) over the year, as measured on Strava and summed up on veloviewer.

J o e wrote: »
    On reflection my "goals" aren't measurable - new goal is to burn 100,000 calories from training (running, cycling, swimming) over the year, as measured on Strava and summed up on veloviewer.

how does burning 100k calories get you ready for an ironman? if the reward is to be ready for an ironman, should the goal not be related to getting you that? you could burn 100k calories and be no closer than you are now. your goal is measurable now, but you may want to consider if it delivers what you want. getting long bikes /long runs up to a certain level, swimming average xM/wk, in parallel with your 100k goal may be more rewarding

okay, time to get something down in writing

sub 40 10k
    HM PB.
    Lost Sheep PB

race lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

pgibbo wrote: »
    Be careful with the race weight goal. For most people, the weight tends to come off fast when you ramp up the hours and training for an IM. Being at race weight at the start of IM training could leave you losing too much weight and possibly power on the bike as you get closer to the race. There's the possibility of being injury prone also.

Cheers, will keep that in mind - makes sense.

Will look at what I lost in training last year and use that as a guide to starting weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Aiming to complete my first ever duathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

that would depend on the person

i have no problem putting on weight even training at max.
    holding weight is prob and issue for max 10 %.

the 2nd thing. how many males triathletes really have a race weight thats actually a very good race weight ...

i guess here on this forum is 2 out off 100 males . 50 % could easily lose a stone 25% more than a stone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    that would depend on the person

i have no problem putting on weight even training at max.
    holding weight is prob and issue for max 10 %.

the 2nd thing. how many males triathletes really have a race weight thats actually a very good race weight ...

i guess here on this forum is 2 out off 100 males . 50 % could easily lose a stone 25% more than a stone

100% Peter. Agree 100%. I'd now be in lose more than a stone (over three stone really).

Race weight is usually overestimated. We delude ourselves we are at race weight.

This sums it up for me :

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman (Dan Empfield)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    * Sub three in DCM
    Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Sub 3 DCM .
    EC1000 wrote: »
    Sub 3 at DCM.
    DCM pb
    Marty Bird wrote: »
    Sub 3 DCM

So much for the escape from the dark side, I'm going to be surrounded by triathletes at DCM! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So much for the escape from the dark side, I'm going to be surrounded by triathletes at DCM! :D

Might motivate myself to train for that 3:15 and give myself a reward for each of one I pass if they blow up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

God I am well behind people on this tread but hey for the craic. Signed up for double Olympic in Athy. That is my first goal. My first attempet on the longer work. Probably do another half somewhere.

Plus improve on my NS result if I do enough races.

Probably race a bit less. Did a bit too much last year. Paid for it in my last couple of races. I wasn't "fresh" anymore to put it that way.

And most of all enjoy it. Really did last year hope for the same feeling this year.

100% Peter. Agree 100%. I'd now be in lose more than a stone (over three stone really).

Race weight is usually overestimated. We delude ourselves we are at race weight.

This sums it up for me :

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman (Dan Empfield)

I hear what yourself and Peter are saying. Like everything, there is no real one size fits all. Speaking from personal experience though I know that staying at a healthy weight is difficult for me when in IM training. Getting too light due to training has caused me to lose bike power, pick up an injury and be more susceptible to illness. I know there are other factors but during these periods I was sleeping well and eating healthily also so I'm convinced it was down to weight loss. I suppose there's a difference between a healthy weight and race weight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

* Sub three in DCM
    Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Sub 3 DCM .
    EC1000 wrote: »
    Sub 3 at DCM.
    Marty Bird wrote: »
    Sub 3 DCM

Just follow the big red 3:00 balloon lads ... looking forward to the IM conversations of old. Only buck I don't see sub 3 committed here yet is a certain pgibbo.:rolleyes:

Abhainn wrote: »
    Just follow the big red 3:00 balloon lads ... looking forward to the IM conversations of old. Only buck I don't see sub 3 committed here yet is a certain pgibbo.:rolleyes:

Pity it sold out before I could enter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Pity it sold out before I could enter :)

There is always Clonakilty P :cool:;)

Advertisement