Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Maybe, but I'm not going to travel to a junior scratch cup or open knowing other players are potentially getting additional 5 shots. Someone jumping from 5 to 10. Seems crazy.
    I only play comps for my handicap, don't care about prizes. Why would I pay comp fee when I can lower my handicap playing casual golf. I suppose some other golfers are all about prizes and are happy to get 5 shots back.

I'd have to agree.

It all seems very vague to me around how golf in Ireland is expecte to be played in 2020. We all play comps in our clubs so how are they going to work. How are scratch cups going to work? How are interclub matches going to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I have a feeling it will be pushed back a year or 2. As for the 5 shots back.. farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The few people I know with American hcap seem to play off a lot lower than a gui hcap. Very small sample size but I know but there is lads I know that are 9/10 over there but wouldn't be a 14 here and there is a 13 I know in American that wouldn't be an 18 here.

Will we be starting off a much lower hcap to counteract the possible 5 shot increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Russman wrote: »
    I suspect there'll be some local variations though with regard to the max increase, similar to the ESR being mandatory in Ireland but not in the UK.

I don’t think so, the whole point of it is to make one worldwide system, not a worldwide system which each country can tweak!

HighLine wrote: »
    I have a feeling it will be pushed back a year or 2. As for the 5 shots back.. farcical.

Congu have already stated that it will not be ready on time and it will be late 2020 before they are able to roll it out. So yea, could well be sometime in 2021 but I can’t see it going much further than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Seriously open to banditry as it looks at the moment. Hopefully it'll be tweaked the right way to stop it. My guess is that it'll eventually be scrapped and we'll go back to what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Seve OB wrote: »
    Congu have already stated that it will not be ready on time and it will be late 2020 before they are able to roll it out. So yea, could well be sometime in 2021 but I can’t see it going much further than that.
    Not surprised when they haven't put out alot of information on it. Seems like a real relaxed approach to something that will up end our system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

5 is laughable, wouldn't even call 3 acceptable. Leave it at 1 for now, max 2.

The article makes a big deal even out of the 5. Cheaters beware, you can only get 5 shots back per year, lol. I know folks who only think in .1s. Field day.

But I imagine (hope) local/national variations will be allowable. Otherwise.. I don't know.. it would be a big shake up if they fully implement this and I think most club golfers wouldn't like it.

• Have the GUI made any comments recently on this new WHS. The 5 shots, casual rounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The few people I know with American hcap seem to play off a lot lower than a gui hcap. Very small sample size but I know but there is less I know that are 9/10 over there but wouldn't be a 14 here and there is a 13 I know in American that wouldn't be an 18 here.

Will we be starting off a much lower hcap to counteract the possible 5 shot increase?

Have heard that in general. Assume that they end up low by playing a lot of casual golf with most short putts being given so you get a lot of artificial scores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Have heard that in general. Assume that they end up low by playing a lot of casual golf with most short putts being given so you get a lot of artificial scores?

It could be that's a factor alright. From what I've read there's very little competitive golf as we'd understand it over in the States, as in a weekly competition, so much of their golf is amongst themselves with sweeps, bets etc.
    But the systems are so different its apples and oranges. You essentially disregard your bad rounds if they're not in your top 10 best ones (whereas we get 0.1 for a bad round), and then they only use 96% of the average, so its set up to be lower as a default.
    I've seen it mentioned on other sites over the years that as a rule of thumb, a US handicap would be around 2 shots lower than a CONGU one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It could be that's a factor alright. From what I've read there's very little competitive golf as we'd understand it over in the States, as in a weekly competition, so much of their golf is amongst themselves with sweeps, bets etc.
    But the systems are so different its apples and oranges. You essentially disregard your bad rounds if they're not in your top 10 best ones (whereas we get 0.1 for a bad round), and then they only use 96% of the average, so its set up to be lower as a default.
    I've seen it mentioned on other sites over the years that as a rule of thumb, a US handicap would be around 2 shots lower than a CONGU one.

Know an American who told me they have an app where they enter their score from any game they play. The app works out their HC. Not very accurate system or a system that'll work this part or the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

There is provisional for variation in the system region to region, so I assume casual rounds will not be counted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

So much doubt about the new system. It works well and a lot better than the current Irish system. It makes the game inclusive for handicaps from all ranges and doesn't just cater to the whims of the low handicappers who seem to think the world revolves around them. Bandits will be bandits no matter what anyways, and the current system penalises high handicappers way too much for 1 good game of golf and then makes the high handicapper noncompetitive for the next 3 years on average. And the amount of times and comp games needed to get those 5 shots back and makes it a very expensive and lengthy process, so if the bandits want to take 6 months of throwing games to get 5 shots back then let them be. In addition local clubs can also report players for handicap blowing out and have a reduction applied if merited.

Also forgot to mention, in a comp event a maximum of 3 shots over par is the highest recorded, so if bandits try and have a 10 on a par 3 the system will still record it as a 6 for handicap purposes only. But it will funny to watch the bandits come in with a nice round and 1 10+ hole thinking they will get strokes back and will be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Current system seems much better, if it's not broke..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

So much doubt about the new system. It works well and a lot better than the current Irish system. It makes the game inclusive for handicaps from all ranges and doesn't just cater to the whims of the low handicappers who seem to think the world revolves around them. Bandits will be bandits no matter what anyways, and the current system penalises high handicappers way too much for 1 good game of golf and then makes the high handicapper noncompetitive for the next 3 years on average. And the amount of times and comp games needed to get those 5 shots back and makes it a very expensive and lengthy process, so if the bandits want to take 6 months of throwing games to get 5 shots back then let them be. In addition local clubs can also report players for handicap blowing out and have a reduction applied if merited.

Also forgot to mention, in a comp event a maximum of 3 shots over par is the highest recorded, so if bandits try and have a 10 on a par 3 the system will still record it as a 6 for handicap purposes only. But it will funny to watch the bandits come in with a nice round and 1 10+ hole thinking they will get strokes back and will be sorely disappointed.

I think this is because there's been so little info or "meat on the bone" put out by the ruling bodies so far. Now, it could well be that they themselves aren't sure about certain aspects and how to get them to work, but its leading to a lot of guesswork by lots of us.
    Logically I sort of think that if pretty much most of the world, bar CONGU are using this system (or a close variant of it), it has to be better than what we have.

Interesting article (granted quite old), comparing the US and GB&I systems
    http://www.popeofslope.com/scotland/usscothandicaps.html

I'd agree with a lot of your post above, especially about bandits being bandits no matter what system is used and also the point about the hassle involved in getting the number of rounds in to meaningfully increase your handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There will be a memory as part. The piece I read said that previous ability will functioned in

I would say a 5 shot movement will be very rare even if someone is trying to fiddle

Golfshot calculates my handicap under all the systems. US is usually 1-2 lower. At the minute I am 0.5 higher. But I had been playing dreadful bar a 38 points at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

I did the calculation using the golfshot app and I'd get an extra 3 shots using the USGA system.

Presumably you haven’t had many rounds near 36 lately??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Presumably you haven’t had many rounds near 36 lately??

Last two rounds where 36, 41. Other rounds are mostly in the low 30s

• Advertisement

Last two rounds where 36, 41. Other rounds are mostly in the low 30s

I just did the actual calc in excel and I am 2.9 higher

But I have been playing pants

My best 5 scores have been 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

There is an easy enough way to guesstimate your us handicap

1 Take your last 20 records from golfnet.
    2 Take the 10 lowest in GD column allowing for CSS
    3 Add them together
    4 Divide by 10 and multiply by 0.96

Also forgot to mention, in a comp event a maximum of 3 shots over par is the highest recorded,

that's not true

its a net double bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

3 Add them together

Instead of being 6.0 I'd be 7.7.

But that's a few rounds from late 2017, early 2018 keeping me there. When they are gone, I'll be near 9 or 10

Actually probably is much fairer for my genuine level as someone who is playing genuinely

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

that's not true

its a net double bogey

Sorry should have said 3 shots over net par.

3 Add them together

Wonder how the new system will deal with players who leave early ? Like, say, you're a million over par, its p1ssing rain and the 15th tee is beside the clubhouse - its all too easy (and understandable) to bail out at that point....
    Your stableford GD would be crazy if those part rounds are included, but hardly realistic.

Just checked, I'd be 7.1 under USGA & 6.8 under the new WHS, while currently 8.0

Wonder how the new system will deal with players who leave early ? Like, say, you're a million over par, its p1ssing rain and the 15th tee is beside the clubhouse - its all too easy (and understandable) to bail out at that point....
    Your stableford GD would be crazy if those part rounds are included, but hardly realistic.

Just checked, I'd be 7.1 under USGA & 6.8 under the new WHS, while currently 8.0

probably not to different as to how it is currently done. net double bogey for those holes... of course opens up the whole bandit thing again but if you were a million over already its not going to make much difference

but it would make more difference i guess than it currently does as we get a max of .1 back

but then again it probably wont make any difference as it is likely the score will never be a counting one

jeez, hard to know isn't it!!!

of course what you guys are forgetting with working out your handicaps per USGA is that this will not actually be your handicap, it will be your handicap index and your playing handicap will then vary from that from course to course!!!!

but for arguments sake i did mine anyway

i'm currently 12.7 after a shocking run off 10 .1's in a row, would have been 11 if another was allowed :( this is a bad run and not reflective of my ability, actually played well & hit 10 GIR (inc a putt for eagle) in reg last round but putter was shocking and 8 3putts

USGA would have me at 13.6

however there were a few good rounds early on. so if my next 4 rounds are the same as my last 4 rounds, i would jump to 16. i know we all like to blow our own trumpet, but a 16 handicap is way to high for me, i'm so much better than that.

• Advertisement

probably not to different as to how it is currently done. net double bogey for those holes... of course opens up the whole bandit thing again but if you were a million over already its not going to make much difference

but it would make more difference i guess than it currently does as we get a max of .1 back

but then again it probably wont make any difference as it is likely the score will never be a counting one

jeez, hard to know isn't it!!!

That's it exactly, its all such a grey area right now. Interesting to see how it all plays out.

Advertisement