Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

buzz wrote: »
    Regarding the Module 1 IBT, do you get to even sit on a bike?

I just booked in earlier and was told it is all class room based:confused:
    Yea, classroom only - it's pretty informative though - I found it pretty good.
    I booked it so that I did IBT 1 in the morning and IBT 2 in the afternoon - IBT 2 is all on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kellsbells73

areu4real? wrote: »
    This doesn't answer the question in full, but this part worked out fine for me. Did theory test in '04/'05 so didn't need to do theory

A Theory Test cert issued prior to 21st October 2006 in respect of the category B (car) entitles applicants to apply for first Learner permit in respect of the categories A, A1, M and W also, provided that the theory cert was presented to the Motor Tax Office within two years of the date of issue and you have kept your car licence in date.

sorry to bring this part of thread back up but i have my car b licence since 2002 and was told that i still have to do my bike theory test,have the rules changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I am saving up to learn and ride a motorbike. My aim is to be riding a bike for touring in Europe. I am interested in harleys.

Can anyone suggest a 125cc bike to get me started, and where is a recommended site to get one?
    edit... I just read up on Honda BROS 400 restricted bikes. How do you get them restricted? Do you you bring it to a garage,or do they come restricted?

Also does anyone have a guess on how much it would cost, for theory test, licence, training, PPE, insurance, tax altogether?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

I am saving up to learn and ride a motorbike. My aim is to be riding a bike for touring in Europe. I am interested in harleys.

Can anyone suggest a 125cc bike to get me started, and where is a recommended site to get one?
    edit... I just read up on Honda BROS 400 restricted bikes. How do you get them restricted? Do you you bring it to a garage,or do they come restricted?

Also does anyone have a guess on how much it would cost, for theory test, licence, training, PPE, insurance, tax altogether?

Thanks

it simple to restrict a bike, any decent bike shop can do it, you will need a cert from them for the insurance. i think you could find one for sale that is restricted..
    as for the cost how long is a piece of string... all in all my gear/helmet/ibt/further lessons/ninja 250 cost me almost 6500.... but the ninja was brand new and the helmet was 6/700 i think.
    I still think i got a decent deal on everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Thanks

God, so many questions, it might be hard to answer them all but I'll try...

Unless you're 17, don't get a 125cc to start. You'll be bored with it in no time. Get a Bros or a Super Four, both good starter bikes, OR get a Bandit 600 or Hornet 600 and get them restricted. Where to get them? Any/most dealers would be able to source one if they don't have them. Done Deal is good for second hand bikes too!

With regard to getting bikes restricted, any garage can do it for you. It costs about €250. You might also be lucky to come across one that's restricted.

With regard to total cost - well, how long is a piece of string! Theory test is what? €38 or something? Licence is €15 I think, training can cost up to €600 ish, PPE - well that depends on what you want to spend. Helmets can cost anything from €100 to €1000, and gear is the same depending on brand. Insurance, again can cost anything depending on your age etc. TRhe cheapest part is tax which is €82.

It's expensive to get into, but worth it! Good luck.

EDIT: Just copped eurofoxy's reply. Sorry man. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Im going to go with the harley. Im torn between the Iron and superlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Does insurance jump significantly if the bike is overpowered but restricted from a shop? I remember reading somewhere that unless a bike is factory restricted insurance will be through the roof?? Provisionally licenced and under 25 on top o that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Does insurance jump significantly if the bike is overpowered but restricted from a shop? I remember reading somewhere that unless a bike is factory restricted insurance will be through the roof?? Provisionally licenced and under 25 on top o that?

Depends on the insurance company. They have their own pre-requisites as to what's acceptable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

AFAIK Aon are the only crowd that recognise Factory Restricted and give you a discount based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

RosieJoe wrote: »
    AFAIK Aon are the only crowd that recognise Factory Restricted and give you a discount based on it.

So for example, whether it's factory restricted or after market restricted wouldnt really make a difference as long as its restricted? AFAYK?

• Advertisement

So for example, whether it's factory restricted or after market restricted wouldnt really make a difference as long as its restricted? AFAYK?

Would be with the likes of Quinn. That's why 2nd hand Factory Restricted bikes are usually dearer as you can get the cheaper insurance quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I'm contemplating buying a bike, what would you recommend as a first bike? I really like the CBR 250. Would this be too much for a first bike? I'm 25 on a provisional how much should insurance cost? Even a ballpark figure. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Sitec wrote: »
    I'm contemplating buying a bike, what would you recommend as a first bike? I really like the CBR 250. Would this be too much for a first bike? I'm 25 on a provisional how much should insurance cost? Even a ballpark figure. Thanks.

250 definitely wouldn't be too much. A lot of beginners can manage a 400. If any of your friends/family are on bikes have a sit on them, see how you feel with the different weights.

As regards in surance, I'm female, 24, with Quinn FC €440 approx. On CB400 and CBR250

Biggest warning you'll get is that as a faired bike it'll cost you if you drop it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

250 definitely wouldn't be too much. A lot of beginners can manage a 400. If any of your friends/family are on bikes have a sit on them, see how you feel with the different weights.

As regards in surance, I'm female, 24, with Quinn FC €440 approx. On CB400 and CBR250

Cheers for the reply, I'm not sure if I could trust myself with any more than 250cc starting off. Got an on-line quote of €840 which is within budget, it's still a lot of money when you add training a helmet and gear etc.

I'm going to make a few phone calls Monday and try get a better quote than Quinn gave me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Definitely ring around rather than relying on quinn/any online quote I'd imagine, I got much better quotes over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Definitely ring around. Even ring Quinn and see what they can do for you over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Miglo

Hi,

My driving test day is closing and I'm thinking to take few hours of pre test lessons.
    Can anyone recommend good instructor in Dublin area?

Thanks!

Where are you doing your test?

I'd recommend Dave Lyons, like most will. He is a great instructor.

There are lads that were instructors for Fingal CoCo that might suit if you are doing your test on the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Miglo

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Where are you doing your test?

I'd recommend Dave Lyons, like most will. He is a great instructor.

There are lads that were instructors for Fingal CoCo that might suit if you are doing your test on the north side.

I'm doing test in Finglas.

• Advertisement

Austin McDowell would also be recommended. He is an instructor from the Final Star Rider program.

Check here for AON's Instructos listings for names/numbers/websites

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Well lads Im 20 and I have a full car driving licence for two years. I want to get into biking. I had a honda cr125 scrambler for off roading before and Im now thinking of yamaha dt125r for the road. I basically want it for tipping around during the summer and a bit of off roading. The 125cc two stroke bike I had was an animal to go and I like the look of the dt125r. My question is do I still have to do the theory and eyesight test? I see you have to do a 16hr course before your allowed drive unsupervised. It seems like some dung to get out on the road.:P

Well lads Im 20 and I have a full car driving licence for two years. I want to get into biking. I had a honda cr125 scrambler for off roading before and Im now thinking of yamaha dt125r for the road. I basically want it for tipping around during the summer and a bit of off roading. The 125cc two stroke bike I had was an animal to go and I like the look of the dt125r. My question is do I still have to do the theory and eyesight test? I see you have to do a 16hr course before your allowed drive unsupervised. It seems like some dung to get out on the road.:P

You have to do the whole lot regardless of what other license you hold. Get your photos signed by cops, do the theory test (little different for motorbike), if you pass you get the cert which you send to your local authority with the provisional license application (category A), then do your 16 hours (called IBT 1, 2, 3, and 4). IBT 1 is 4 hours intro to biking (equipment, different parts of bike, putting up the stand etc.) IBT 2 is 4 hours of actually riding the bike (not on the road but in the car park or whatever the driving school will have) - you do slalom, figure of eight etc. IBT 3 is 2 hours in the classroom learning about safety, how to ride the bike safely etc. IBT 4 is 6 hours out on the road with an instructor.
    Then you can ride a bike unsupervised

No to eye test, yes to theory test and everything else.

Edit: What he said ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

Were can I buy the theory test disk? Or is the book better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

byrner88 wrote: »

Most book shops sell them.
    So, places like Easons, Reads, etc.

The disc is better, as it is very close to the way the test is (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

byrner88 wrote: »

Library will also cary the latest edition and its free, you only really need to read the book 2 or 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Oh my Jesus, been away from things for a while is shi'te :mad: I'm 47 and have been riding bikes for the guts of 30 years but never bothered doing the test in the day cause it was expensive and a load of bullocks at the time. I built a house about 7/8 years ago and it put paid to the bikes (still have a Gixer and a 77 GS750) as I let my insurance run out and also let my provisional licence lapse as well.

After reading the previous post, is that the only option I have at the moment cause if it is, its fuvking depressing apart from expensive. I've just about saved enough to try to get one of my bikes back on the road but if I have to do the bs lessons, then I'm screwed :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unfortunately thats how it is Dave, Its all coming from Europe.
    We as a nation have a lot of riders with no training in any shape or form on the road ... a lot of those are highly competent riders, but training shouldnt be seen as a bad thing (Thats not aimed at yerself!)
    And I agree its expensive and off putting for lads starting out.

• Advertisement

Folks,
    Apologies in advance if this question was answered before. I'm new to biking and have just bought an '07 Yamaha FZ 600 which is factory restricted.
    The insurance company want a copy of the restriction cert. Where can I get the cert? Should the guy who sold it to me have the cert?

Advertisement