Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Thats an interesting one about intake v exercise. I lost a stone and a half two years ago - put it all back on , finding it hard to shift it, my problem is my sweet tooth. Not a bread eater, would do the 5k about 2 to 3 times a week but probably spoiling it with the treats. its like an addiction! always lost a half stone in a month previously but trying for the past to months now and not happening. I notice people who have a lot to loose have bigger weight losses. Its very motivating to be down on the scales. Is it case of cut all carbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Thats an interesting one about intake v exercise. I lost a stone and a half two years ago - put it all back on , finding it hard to shift it, my problem is my sweet tooth. Not a bread eater, would do the 5k about 2 to 3 times a week but probably spoiling it with the treats. its like an addiction! always lost a half stone in a month previously but trying for the past to months now and not happening. I notice people who have a lot to loose have bigger weight losses. Its very motivating to be down on the scales. Is it case of cut all carbs?

No but a lot of the food people eat too much of is carb dense.

In your case, it sounds like you're just consuming too many calories from too many treats. That has nothing to do with carbs in and of itself.

Some people do well by removing carbs because they find it easy to just cut the cakes, the chicken fillet rolls laden with mayonnaise, the cakes, the chips etc and thereby reducing caloric intake.

Others don't find it sustainable. Ultimately it's just a tool to manage calorie intake.

And that's primarily what it comes down to. Reducing the quantity of calories you eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

No but a lot of the food people eat too much of is carb dense.

In your case, it sounds like you're just consuming too many calories from too many treats. That has nothing to do with carbs in and of itself.

Some people do well by removing carbs because they find it easy to just cut the cakes, the chicken fillet rolls laden with mayonnaise, the cakes, the chips etc and thereby reducing caloric intake.

Others don't find it sustainable. Ultimately it's just a tool to manage calorie intake.

And that's primarily what it comes down to. Reducing the quantity of calories you eat.

I had a chicken filltet roll today, it felt good, but it had no mayo on it.
    It did have butter and bbq sauce.

I don't know the amount of calories in a CF roll is, so am unsure how many kcals that added to my fitness plan.

so, as i have said already, i've cut out breakfast entirely, that was the way to strip 1/3 of kcal intake and start shrinking the waste.

well. its not working out as well as i planned. lets forget today, as that was an anommaly, i wouldn't normally eat a chicken fillet roll for lunch, it was just convienient, and after 6 hours of activity, your enegry levels really tank, so you need something, and thats all that I could think of at the time.

So, even though i have already removed 1/3 of the kcals from my diet, i still aint losing weight I'd like gone. I need to get more agressive.

If think i'll scrap dinner too, so leave only 1 meal a day, purge another 1/3 of the kcals intake.

Ive been doing the 2/3 intake scheme for about 4 years now, and while it was initially very effective and i lost many pounds, my body seems to have adapted to the 2/3 intake.

Tomorrow is day 1 of 1/3 intake. lunch becomes the only meal of the day.
    no snacks or treats. only thing outside of the one meal per day can be water.

I'll keep ya'll all posted like i've done in the past.

sempre fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I find exercise helpful if it's consistent exercise. I mean if you walk, swim, jog or cycle you do it everyday or at least 5 out of 7 days for me and I don't put on weight and also tone. But I agree cutting back diet wise helps on the scales. I'm still at it - and still trying to find a balance :)

sKeith wrote: »
    I had a chicken filltet roll today, it felt good, but it had no mayo on it.
    It did have butter and bbq sauce.

I don't know the amount of calories in a CF roll is, so am unsure how many kcals that added to my fitness plan.

so, as i have said already, i've cut out breakfast entirely, that was the way to strip 1/3 of kcal intake and start shrinking the waste.

well. its not working out as well as i planned. lets forget today, as that was an anommaly, i wouldn't normally eat a chicken fillet roll for lunch, it was just convienient, and after 6 hours of activity, your enegry levels really tank, so you need something, and thats all that I could think of at the time..

Could easily be 800-1000 calories (or more) in that roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

well. its not working out as well as i planned. lets forget today, as that was an anommaly, i wouldn't normally eat a chicken fillet roll for lunch, it was just convienient, and after 6 hours of activity, your enegry levels really tank, so you need something, and thats all that I could think of at the time..

If you genuinely couldn't think of anythign else, then that would be the biggest diet issue imo, rather the number of meals you have.

Mellor wrote: »
    If you genuinely couldn't think of anythign else, then that would be the biggest diet issue imo, rather the number of meals you have.

Well, it was either a cf roll or a few sausage rolls. There was lots to choose from, but i hadnt the inclination or the time to stray outside was i knew/know. As i said already, yesterday was an anomally, a glitch, not a habit to be scorned upon. I may go a year before i make another trip into a deli under serious time constraints and feeling weak & hungry.

at 95.8kg today.

My goal is to be 88 by mid december.

Went completely off the rails.

It starts again today!

Lets do this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

at 95.8kg today.

My goal is to be 88 by mid december.

Went completely off the rails.

It starts again today!

Lets do this

Last time I weighed in I was 106kg:eek:

I may go a year before i make another trip into a deli under serious time constraints and feeling weak & hungry.
    It’s not about when you go back. It’s the fact you couldn’t think of anything other than breaded cf roll or sausage roll where you were there.
    You have’ll to come up be good diet option everyday, regardless of how often you go to a deli.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s not about when you go back. It’s the fact you couldn’t think of anything other than breaded cf roll or sausage roll where you were there.
    You have’ll to come up be good diet option everyday, regardless of how often you go to a deli.

I suppose, if i had of thought a bit longer i would have come up with a roll with sausages.

That’s a good solid meal.

Probably much more nutritious than the chicken fillet roll.

I suppose, if i had of thought a bit longer i would have come up with a roll with sausages.

It's not more nutritious than a chicken fillet roll. Its sausages instead of chicken fillet in the bread roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

i think its pretty clear that anything in the hot deli section will be high enough in calories so will have to be a no go area .They are just the same as a chipper so really just for the odd treat i feel .Its been said a million times but diet is the key if you see what an hour of light enough exercise burns in calories you will see for yourself as most of us wont be doing hours and hours of hard exercise to burn off the chicken fillets and the rest of the deli counter meals .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I got down nearly two stone between March and June this year, but I have plateaued at 13st 5 since. I do circuit training 3-4 times per week, and walk at least an hour per day, but I am clearly still consuming too many calories. I have struggled with anxiety and depression these past couple of years, so that's probably slowing down things for me too. On the plus side, I have never looked better! (Although my stupid brain doesn't notice these - i need to see photos to notice this). I'm going to aim for under 13st by Christmas: nothing drastic, just one pound per week. Let's do this!!!

This just confirms what I said, the biggest issue is a total disconnect from what good food choices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

Diet is 80% of success the rest it is an active lifestyle, but let's be honest. If we want to lose weight in a healthy way we have to move our body.
    I would also suggest to take care of our body from the inside as to eat only healthy food and also to improve the work of your immune system. This is the key to heal every process in our organism including metabolism.

94.8 today. 1kg lost over the weekend just by cutting out the beer and takeaway.

Now, lets smash this week. Gym at least 3 times before Friday.

Want the scales to say 92 by the weekend (don't care if it says 92.9, just as long as it says 92 somewhere!)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

right gonna start documenting this. I'm a 5ft6 bloke weighing 88kgs. Never been skinny but weight has generally flucuated but I'm doing nights the last year and i'm feeling and looking like ****e.

I was doing a boxing course but put if off to start again in January. Generally walk the 5k back from work every day but am gonna do the walk to work now aswell so that's 10k a day walking to tide me over until course starts in January.

Dietwise i'm gonna try do Keto, had my last chicken roll (hopefully) for a while this morning. I'm quite picky when it comes to food so it's really gonna be just meat and eggs for me. I dont like any veggies apart from potatoes which are obviously a no-no. Chicken wings are in the oven for dinner and i'll boil sasuages with a tub of mayonaise for lunch. Brekkie will be eggs and probably salmon. Not very glamourous I know.

I'm going to visit an ex-girlfriend on the 14th of December so gonna try stick to keto for a month and then work from there.

Has pizza for lunch. It was free pizza, the best kind.

Normally pineapple on a pizza is the devils choice, but if its pineapple on a free pizza, it isn't all that bad.

I'm fierce thirsty afterward, probably a mix between the jalapenos and the garlic sauce. The pints will go down easily tonight.

I wouldn't normally eat so much, but there was endless supply and did I mention that they were free?

I could have slept afterward, dunno how I kept myself awake until now. I understand the term food coma all too well after that.

Gonna have to run a few miles tomorrow to work this off and maybe skip some meals.

I also need to make a shopping list and add weighing scales to the list, i see you guys adding your weights, i'd like to do that too, but i dunno mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Back on track after being very good to myself and a lazy sod most of October - I haven't eaten any bread/potatoes or drank any alcohol and I'm back exercising - I think I may have put up weight during those lazy weeks but thankfully the scales has me another kilo down today. So I have offset the damage and I need to keep going. It's Friday I would love nothing more than a few glasses of red wine and some crackers and cheese - I had some meat and vegs (cabbage, brocolli, mushroom and a leaf salad) for dinner. So I am full. Like you Plasandrunt, I'm mostly Keto mixed with lower calorie and I am giving myself a month as I have an event in the second week in December - would love to lose another half a stone by then. That would be all the weight put on after I gave up cigs gone - (though there's more to go after that too :) )

• Advertisement

94.8 today. 1kg lost over the weekend just by cutting out the beer and takeaway.

Now, lets smash this week. Gym at least 3 times before Friday.

Want the scales to say 92 by the weekend (don't care if it says 92.9, just as long as it says 92 somewhere!)

92.3 this morning!!!!!!

Ok. Now to try to be 90 by this weekend.

Haven't gotten to the gym but healthy eating is doing the job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Hitting the gym for the first time in months this evening. Nearly impossible to get out when there's two smallies at home. Won't get out til 8pm but won't let it stop me. Daddy's gonna be sore tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Bassfish wrote:
    Hitting the gym for the first time in months this evening. Nearly impossible to get out when there's two smallies at home. Won't get out til 8pm but won't let it stop me. Daddy's gonna be sore tomorrow!

Good lad. How did you get on? Yeah it's tough making time for the gym alright with kids. I've been doing a few of The Bodycoach HIIT sessions at home in the living room lately on YouTube. Absolutely gassed after 20 minutes.

RTT wrote: »
    Good lad. How did you get on? Yeah it's tough making time for the gym alright with kids. I've been doing a few of The Bodycoach HIIT sessions at home in the living room lately on YouTube. Absolutely gassed after 20 minutes.

Got on well cheersl, felt really good. Did an upper body circuit, light weights just to wake up the muscles a bit. Then did the first stage of the 5k training programme on the Runkeeper app. All done in an hour. My fitbit says I burned 700 calories in the hour but I find that hard to believe!

Bassfish wrote: »

Same position...two smallies. I put the older one to bed and then hit the gym so there about 8.15 or so. You just make it a habit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

right gonna start documenting this. I'm a 5ft6 bloke weighing 88kgs. Never been skinny but weight has generally flucuated but I'm doing nights the last year and i'm feeling and looking like ****e.

I was doing a boxing course but put if off to start again in January. Generally walk the 5k back from work every day but am gonna do the walk to work now aswell so that's 10k a day walking to tide me over until course starts in January.

Dietwise i'm gonna try do Keto, had my last chicken roll (hopefully) for a while this morning. I'm quite picky when it comes to food so it's really gonna be just meat and eggs for me. I dont like any veggies apart from potatoes which are obviously a no-no. Chicken wings are in the oven for dinner and i'll boil sasuages with a tub of mayonaise for lunch. Brekkie will be eggs and probably salmon. Not very glamourous I know.

I'm going to visit an ex-girlfriend on the 14th of December so gonna try stick to keto for a month and then work from there.

How you getting on?

Don't forget to get your nutrients in as well, Keto can be great or terrible for you, if you don't get good variety.

Hitting the gym again tonight. Hoping to do a bit of a leg circuit and the second stage of the 5k programme on Runkeeper.
    Been tracking the food on MFP. It seems to be the only thing that works for me but it does keep you honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

I'm 6ft and used to be 21+ stone. i'm now about 15 10. I still need to lose more, but the thing I've learned the most is that its 90% diet and 10% excercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

boars wrote: »
    I'm 6ft and used to be 21+ stone. i'm now about 15 10. I still need to lose more, but the thing I've learned the most is that its 90% diet and 10% excercise

Fair play, that's some going.

I agree with you completely. I was falling into the trap of going balls to the wall with my diet, losing weight and then just slowly returning to bad habits.

The most important thing I learned was that my diet would have to change permanantly, along with my overall mindset and lifestyle, If I was to keep any weight lost off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

Best training for losing weight is boxfit classes. You don't need to know how to box, but hitting the bags is an excellent and fun way to burn calories and do a form of cardio that doesn't involve a tredmill

Advertisement