Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

Hi All,

Im a first time poster. Im going out to New York in a few weeks for a holiday and want to train in one of the top gyms.

Im currently looking at Renzo Gracie's gym. I would love to go to one of john Danahers classes. Does anyone know what classes he teaches.

Marcelo Garica looks to have a top class gym also.

If anyone could let me know how they got on out there that would be great.

p.s Im a blue belt and looking to train no-gi as i would have the space to bring a gi with me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If you check out r/bjj (Reddit's BJJ subreddit ....) there's a lot of good discussions relating to exactly what you're asking. Including details of which class Danaher teaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Sub highlights from ADCC, some good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BERmad wrote: »
    Hi All,

Im a first time poster. Im going out to New York in a few weeks for a holiday and want to train in one of the top gyms.

Im currently looking at Renzo Gracie's gym. I would love to go to one of john Danahers classes. Does anyone know what classes he teaches.

Marcelo Garica looks to have a top class gym also.

If anyone could let me know how they got on out there that would be great.

p.s Im a blue belt and looking to train no-gi as i would have the space to bring a gi with me.

I went to New York for UFC 205, solo 3 day trip (wife was unamused).

Not only did I have space for a gi, I bought one at Marcelo's while I was there.

I went to a class and an open mat. I was a 2 stripe white belt at the time and it was a fun trip. I did wonder if the standard would be way different and I'd get destroyed even by those of a similar level but I held my own pretty well in the open mat.

Check out the time tables, see what fits your schedule, and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just signed up for my first comp. Already bricking it.

I also made the mistake of signing up in a weight class lower than my weight, but didn't take into consideration that i'll have to weigh in with the Gi on and i'm not sure where i'm gonna find those extra 2 (ish) KG :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

MrStuffins wrote: »

I also made the mistake of signing up in a weight class lower than my weight, but didn't take into consideration that i'll have to weigh in with the Gi on and i'm not sure where i'm gonna find those extra 2 (ish) KG :pac:

You can usually change your reg details right up to close to the tournament.

Did you reg through smoothcomp?

Mini850 wrote: »
    You can usually change your reg details right up to close to the tournament.

Did you reg through smoothcomp?

I did indeed. So I can jump in at a higher weight? All good so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

I did indeed. So I can jump in at a higher weight? All good so :)

Within reason. You have to change it before the tournament obviously. You sometimes get a mail coming close to the tournament date to say that today is the last day to change your registration etc.

Turn up on the day and weigh in over weight, and it will be home time before you start. Tournament over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

can anyone recommend a decent brand for shorts? i need a pair for NOGI.

Dont have the body shape for just spats and top:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a decent brand for shorts? i need a pair for NOGI.

Dont have the body shape for just spats and top:o:o:o

go irish and go wolfhound

• Advertisement

feelpablo wrote: »
    go irish and go wolfhound

Another vote for Wolfhound. Lads are great to deal with as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MoleRat

Howdy folks - quick one - I'm starting out and gracie barra Sandyford is conveniently located and yer man seems like he has a good resumé!
    however, 100/month or 16/lesson seems expensive. I understand its top quality tutoring, just would have thought 70/80 a month was more likely.

Is this typical? Is it in line with SBG / ECJJA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

MoleRat wrote: »
    Howdy folks - quick one - I'm starting out and gracie barra Sandyford is conveniently located and yer man seems like he has a good resumé!
    however, 100/month or 16/lesson seems expensive. I understand its top quality tutoring, just would have thought 70/80 a month was more likely.

Is this typical? Is it in line with SBG / ECJJA ?

Seems about right for Dublin. works out at 6.25 a lesson if you do all 16 a month, which is an absolute bargain.

yeah, I see where you're coming from. And I understand the quality of the training and that it fosters a commitment.
    ....just can be hard to squeeze out 100 a month when you're starting out...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

yeah, I see where you're coming from. And I understand the quality of the training and that it fosters a commitment.
    ....just can be hard to squeeze out 100 a month when you're starting out...

I think it's €200 for ECJJ for the intro program. That's 8 weeks with a Gi.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

€100 a month seems fair. I’d expect more in in better equipped clubs tbh.
    People compare it to gym membership. But in reality it’s more like small group personal training.

I’ve dropped in GB in Dublin. No issues with the club or Chris. But some of GB’s wider policies would put me off them as a whole.

yeah, i think once @Subcomandante Marcos said, it is a bargain when committed and attending regularly and its tuition rather than just access to equipment.
    @Mellor would you mind to expand on GB's wider policies that put you off? DM if thats more appropriate.
    Thanks

I said this in a different thread somewhere:
    If you get down regularly, it works out cheap as you're getting instructor led training for less than a tenner a go, you'd probably spend more than that on lunch over a day or two.

SBG is dearer, but it's not just BJJ. I think Satori are around the €100 mark as well.

It's not a cheap or easy hobby, but you get what you pay for.

@Mellor would you mind to expand on GB's wider policies that put you off? DM if thats more appropriate.
    Happy to say it open. It's nothing I wouldn't say to anyone involved directly with GB.

Just to reiterate in advance, none of this is based on my experience at dropping into GB Dundrum. And I have no idea if this applies there now. It's based on hearing about Gracie Barra HQ polices via social media, and also from Gracie Barra here in Sydney, where they have more of a network of Gyms than in Ireland.

GB is a huge organisation, with investors and as such have corporate approach to their global business (see here for examples https://graciebarra.com/for-instructors/)
    I get it, a business goal is to maximise profits. But imo some of the ways they increase profits are a bit sh!tty or in some cases borderline cult behaviour.

They refer to going against those polices as "Threats to the the Red Shield". That's straight out of the L.Ron Hubard playbook.

Uniform policy: GB branded Gis are compulsory at all times. When I dropped into GB in Sydney, I have to rent a Gi. That's BS imo.
    It one thing to buy team gear in support them. It's very different forcing it 24/7. I own team branded Gi, that I got when I signed up. I also own two others that I wear most of the time. Forcing student to buy all their gis from you is a money grab.

A facebook posted was shared on Reddit the other day. For GB schools in the UK who are "premium*" schools, the uniform now extended to rash guards. Only GB branded rashguards and shorts allowed in Nogi. And you have to wear a GB rashguard under your Gi in Gi class. Apparently a lot of gyms ended their affiliation over this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/dlfm7h/inter_gracie_barra_beef/

Competed for the first time yesterday. Wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Got moved from Masters to challenge the whippersnappers and at the higher weight.

Nabbed a Bronze in the process which I was delighted with. I'll definitely be competing again as soon as possible, although probably not at Grappling Industries because I managed to get myself injured in the first match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Anyone now of any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin city where you can buy Gi's

Apologies if this has been asked 4 million times

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Fightstore near the kcr. They have a website too if want to check price range first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I hope this isnt breaking any rules, but im looking to sell my Gi if you or anyone else is interested? Its in perfect condition, A3 Wolfhound Gi. I switched to nogi recently and dont see myself going back to Gi so its up for grabs. Cost 90 euro, ill sell it for 40. Its a beautiful Gi, one of the older wolfhound ones before they changed their font

Mellor wrote: »

A facebook posted was shared on Reddit the other day. For GB schools in the UK who are "premium*" schools, the uniform now extended to rash guards. Only GB branded rashguards and shorts allowed in Nogi. And you have to wear a GB rashguard under your Gi in Gi class. Apparently a lot of gyms ended their affiliation over this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/dlfm7h/inter_gracie_barra_beef/

This was one of the reasons i stopped going to a club in the city centre here in dublin. The day they told us we had to wear club branded rashguards and club branded Gi's only was they day i thought about moving on to a new gym. If youre charging me 100 bucks a month, you should at least treat me like a grown up and let me wear what i want under the Gi, whatever about wearing club Gi's, but forcing you to wear club rashguards at 30 quid a throw is taking the piss IMO

Agreed.

When I joined my gym, I got a team gi. The cost was included into my joining fee. And i'm happy for the club to get some profit/marketing out of it. But tell me I cn;y own any other gi of my choice. That's ridiculous. As you said, treat me like an adult.

I hope this isnt breaking any rules, but im looking to sell my Gi if you or anyone else is interested? Its in perfect condition, A3 Wolfhound Gi. I switched to nogi recently and dont see myself going back to Gi so its up for grabs. Cost 90 euro, ill sell it for 40. Its a beautiful Gi, one of the older wolfhound ones before they changed their font

What colour is it?

What colour is it?

this is it here: https://imgur.com/a/2yeLpUL

A poster has said hell take it already but if youre interested and it falls through ill give you a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I bought a new Tatami Estilo 6.0 Black and Graphite gi last week, but Amazon sent me A3S instead of A3 by mistake.

Got it for a great price (€100) and am happy to let it go at that if anyone wants it, before I send it back to Amazon. I tried it on once, so it's still in the packaging with the labels.

Here it is:

https://eu.tatamifightwear.com/products/estilo-6-0-black-graphite-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I bought a new Tatami Estilo 6.0 Black and Graphite gi last week, but Amazon sent me A3S instead of A3 by mistake.

Got it for a great price (€100) and am happy to let it go at that if anyone wants it, before I send it back to Amazon. I tried it on once, so it's still in the packaging with the labels.

Here it is:

https://eu.tatamifightwear.com/products/estilo-6-0-black-graphite-1

I might if you can hang on till payday and getting it from was easy enough.

• Advertisement

What colour is it?
    G'way you, it's mine :pac:

Cheers Chairman Meow, I should have walked, would have been less tiring than that cycle

Advertisement