Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler no pressure

• 15-11-2019 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

So, last night was a cold one...
    Pressure gauge on the boiler shows 0 and a also low pressure error code. No filling loop under the boiler, but something that looks like one in the press. Also with a gauge that shows pressure. I'm stuck, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, to bring some closure, the gauge kept showing some pressure even when it was in the bin :) and the auto fill valve was broken.

So, there is still a pressure issue, there is a leak somewhere, I got a new auto fill valve to keep the system topped up until winter passes, I know it's not the best thing but it's only temporary (sure).

But for the leak: nothing shows up, no visible water or damp spots, PRV doesn't leak. BUT I can hear something that comes from the space between the floors of the house, something that sounds like water dripping and it usually happens only when the boiler starts and lasts for maybe 10 seconds, then maybe another 10 seconds in 10-20 minutes. Can this be water dripping or just air bubbling in the rad upstairs, or just pipes moving? I can hear it quite loudly both upstairs and downstairs close to one of the upstairs radiator. No visible damp spots through the ceiling plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

If its only this one tiny sound from the whole house, I think its unlikely that it's the pipes moving.
    Generally all the pipes will move and anywhere they touch a solid surface, there will be some noise.

There are more typical pipe moving/expanding noises, just this one is weird. It's like drip-drip-drip-drip-drip-drip drip drip drip drip then stops. Also it's quite loud considering the drop that can be what, 20cm? And there is no dampness going through the plasterboard.
    So can it be possible to be something else than water dripping? Because if I cut a hole in the ceiling plasterboard to have a look and I find nothing, my wife will not be happy at all :)
    I can hear it from between the living room and upstairs bedroom, close to the window rad upstairs, audible from both floors.

own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

As you're the owner be careful with that autofill! As you clearly know yourself.

Yes I know but there was one for years, and one more winter won't make such a big difference I hope.

Advertisement