Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enough time to import a bike from UK before THAT happens?

• 08-10-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all!

I am looking to get a bike. I did my A category IBT recently (yayy)

I have my eyes on CBR500, Ninja 400/650. As I have never been on a bike before, so I am looking to buy a slightly used one (2017 or later). I've been in the market for almost a month but the Irish market is just so slow as I havent found any good bike in a good price so I am looking to import it from UK (autotrader had a few at good price and colour i want)

Now, I have ABSOLUTELY no practical experience about importing but I've been reading so I think i know 'how' it works.

So, my question is assuming brexit happens on 31 Oct is it enough time to import a bike - assuming I go to UK next week (around 15th Oct) to look at bikes. I imagine the bike should be in Ireland (and revenue notified that its in the country) before 31st and I wont have to pay VAT.

But how will the ownership work? should the bike be in my name before i can get it registered for VRT? If yes, how long will that take? Also how long would it take to get the bike shipped here (i'm on learner so cant ride it here myself). Should I even try going for the import or just give up?

I just want a good bike within my budget but I cant find a used one in Ireland :(

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

alanman wrote: »
    Hi all!

I have my eyes on CBR500, Ninja 400/650. As I have never been on a bike before, so I am looking to buy a slightly used one (2017 or later). I've been in the market for almost a month but the Irish market is just so slow as I havent found any good bike in a good price so I am looking to import it from UK (autotrader had a few at good price and colour i want)

Now, I have ABSOLUTELY no practical experience about importing but I've been reading so I think i know 'how' it works.

So, my question is assuming brexit happens on 31 Oct is it enough time to import a bike - assuming I go to UK next week (around 15th Oct) to look at bikes. I imagine the bike should be in Ireland (and revenue notified that its in the country) before 31st and I wont have to pay VAT.

But how will the ownership work? should the bike be in my name before i can get it registered for VRT? If yes, how long will that take? Also how long would it take to get the bike shipped here (i'm on learner so cant ride it here myself). Should I even try going for the import or just give up?

I just want a good bike within my budget but I cant find a used one in Ireland :(

Don't panic about brexit, its not an issue with bikes they don't have LHD or RHD like cars.
    Instead look at mobile.de and see what is available on the continent.
    Vast range of bikes available from all parts of Europe.
    No problems getting it delivered either and for the most part they don't have the corrosion problems like the UK stuff either because they don't ride in the winter on salty slush, they are parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't panic about brexit, its not an issue with bikes they don't have LHD or RHD like cars.
    No problems getting it delivered either and for the most part they don't have the corrosion problems like the UK stuff either because they don't ride in the winter on salty slush, they are parked up.

They may have a European headlight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi all!

the bike will need to be out of the UK, and in RoI by 31st October. If you're having it shipped, you don't have much time as all the couriers are flat out shipping against that date already. I'm assuming, you never having been on one, that you aren't riding it home (have you a licence ?).

Wherever you get it in the UK, from a shop or private, do NOT leave the premises without the V5C document IN YOUR HAND. You cannot re-reg the bike here without it. And, if you get grief from the seller about it, it's actually written on it that 'exporters' (you) are to be given it. The paperwork does NOT go to DVLA in Swansea. It comes home with you. If in doubt, go through that in advance of turning up to see it, so that there is no confusion on the day.

Once in the country, you get a booking with NCT service for your VRT appointment, and then turn up for the inspection, pay your money, and then you'll get your registration number here. It's very straightforward.

Not sure what you're looking for that you can't find here btw, as I found 11 on DoneDeal just now, all from 2017 onwards.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sorry a little off topic but before you buy either of those bikes have you spoken with an insurance company. There's been a ton of noobs starting threads recently not getting insured on similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

CJhaughey wrote: »

Hmm thanks. I might look into that. I frequently travel to UK for work so it was a bit handy getting one from there. I will look at the website you mentioned (thanks a lot for that btw) and see if anything pops up!

Would it be an idiotic thing to do if I just get the bike shipped without going over there to look at it in person?
    blade1 wrote: »
    They may have a European headlight though.

Sorry I dont know a lot about bikes - is that a joke or you actually mean it? :P Shouldnt the UK bikes have the EU regulated headlights as well?
    galwaytt wrote: »
    the bike will need to be out of the UK, and in RoI by 31st October. If you're having it shipped, you don't have much time as all the couriers are flat out shipping against that date already. I'm assuming, you never having been on one, that you aren't riding it home (have you a licence ?).

Wherever you get it in the UK, from a shop or private, do NOT leave the premises without the V5C document IN YOUR HAND. You cannot re-reg the bike here without it. And, if you get grief from the seller about it, it's actually written on it that 'exporters' (you) are to be given it. The paperwork does NOT go to DVLA in Swansea. It comes home with you. If in doubt, go through that in advance of turning up to see it, so that there is no confusion on the day.

Once in the country, you get a booking with NCT service for your VRT appointment, and then turn up for the inspection, pay your money, and then you'll get your registration number here. It's very straightforward.

Not sure what you're looking for that you can't find here btw, as I found 11 on DoneDeal just now, all from 2017 onwards.

Thanks a lot for this! Very helpful. Responses below:

- Yes I only have a learner so I wont be able to ride myself from UK
    - Thank you for clarifying V5C. I read online and thought the seller 'posts' it to the UK licensing authority as proof that bike has been exported.
    - Noted regarding NCT stuff.
    Slightly confused about the ownership btw. Suppose I buy a bike today (it will be in the previous owners name). What comes first? Do i send the docs foor change in ownership and THEN pay VRT or I can pay VRT and then transfer the ownership.
    - I'm looking for a white CBR500 (none on donedeal) OR
    Green Ninja 400: One on Donedeal for 8.4k
    Greeen Ninja 650: A few but more expensive than in UK (after converting to EUR)

My budget is around 5.5k max. Also considering its looking unlikely I'll get insurance on 650 I might look at either CBR500 or Ninja 400 (love the dash lol)

zubair wrote: »
    Sorry a little off topic but before you buy either of those bikes have you spoken with an insurance company. There's been a ton of noobs starting threads recently not getting insured on similar.

No not off-topic as well because insurance is a part of the whole bike buying process haha! Yes I did ring around asking for a quote. I dont think i'll be able to get insurance on the 650. i got quotes of around 1.7-3k (1.7k was for CBR 3rd party only).

Yes it is expensive and I think I was able to get a quote because of my age - I'm 29

Thanks a lot all you guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Buy and import bike.
    Within 7 days of import, make an appointment with ncts to have bike inspected. Inspection must take place within 30 days of import, otherwise a penalty per day will be imposed, backdated to date of import. Don't panic, its a very small penalty.
    Turn up for inspection with proof of travel, proof of identification and proof of PPS number, and pay vrt. You'll be given your reg number on payment.
    Buy and fit new number plate within 3 days.
    You should be able to tax the bike online within 2 days of paying vrt by using last 6 digits of frame number.
    VLC will be posted to you a few days after taxing it.
    Ride and enjoy.

Check vrt due here :
    https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Would it be an idiotic thing to do if I just get the bike shipped without going over there to look at it in person?

There are some very good transport companies who will go to collect a bike for you. They will inspect and advise you at the time of any issues. Not only that genuine sellers will have no problems giving you as many detailed pictures you require for you to make your mind up before organising the transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Advise you throw your leg over one of the bikes you're interested in before you buy it.

I have no issue buying a bike without seeing it but only if I've had experience with it already. I bought my CBF600 from a dealer in the UK without viewing it in person - I done my IBT on the instructors CBF600 so was happy with the model and new what to expect.

Most certainly would not buy one without at least sitting on it. Anything with a sporty seating position should be tried before you buy.

I wouldn't limit yourself to those bikes tbh, you could get an 08 year bike (CBF600 or CB600 Hornet / SV650) for good money and it should be cheaper to insure as well.

Gorgeous example of a Hornet on donedeal for a great price too
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/08-honda-cb-600/23171893

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

2nd lad swapping his 500 for an R1 or gsxr1, madness I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,825 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Madness to be looking at a nearly new bike as a first bike. Costs a lot more to buy, more to insure, and chances are you'll drop it at some point anyway.

Age is basically irrelevant for bikes anyway, condition is what matters.

Life ain't always empty.

Honourable mention for the Cbf600 from grim. Definitely should be considered as a first bike. Great for a learner, plenty of them available for reasonable prices and there is a half fairied option.

Sorry I dont know a lot about bikes - is that a joke or you actually mean it? :P Shouldnt the UK bikes have the EU regulated headlights as well?

- Thank you for clarifying V5C. I read online and thought the seller 'posts' it to the UK licensing authority as proof that bike has been exported.
    - Noted regarding NCT stuff.
    Slightly confused about the ownership btw. Suppose I buy a bike today (it will be in the previous owners name). What comes first? Do i send the docs foor change in ownership and THEN pay VRT or I can pay VRT and then transfer the ownership.

- I'm looking for a white CBR500 (none on donedeal) OR
    Green Ninja 400: One on Donedeal for 8.4k

Greeen Ninja 650: A few but more expensive than in UK (after converting to EUR)

My budget is around 5.5k max. Also considering its looking unlikely I'll get insurance on 650 I might look at either CBR500 or Ninja 400 (love the dash lol)

There was a white CBR500 in Doyles in Athlone a few weeks ago. Worth a call, forget email.

I met a guy in Kells on a 192 Ninja 400 recently - cost him €7,500 new - so 8400 for a used one is wrong.

Ownership process is simple. There is No interaction between you and DVLA in the UK at all. None. Zero. The seller does NOT send the V5C anywhere - he gives it to you. There is a portion on it which he can tear off and send to DVLA but that's his business. Nothing to do with you.
    • Buy the bike.Get the V5C in your hand on collection.
    • Bring it in (e.g.courier).
    • Make VRT appointment.
    • Insure the bike if you plan to ride it to VRT office.
    • Turn up at VRT office with the bike, forms, papers and the V5C. This paperwork includes proof of shipping and date imported (invoice from courier etc). VRT office will keep the original UK V5C.
    • Pay them the money. They'll give you a receipt on which is written your new Irish registration number.
    • Buy a number plate at your local motor factors.
    • Tax the bike online using new Registration number.
    • In a week you'll get your new Irish Registration book.

That's it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

UK bikes will have the lights aligned for driving on the left, European bikes will be the opposite.
    Not a massive deal to change but if you're buying a nearly new bike why look for the extra hassle

Not all headlights are handed, many now have a flat beam that doesn’t have the tick on the near side .

lads! Sorry for going MIA.

I managed to find a CBR500 from Ireland. Its 2018 model and had less than 4k miles on it! Loving it (when i can actually ride it because of the rain)

I really appreciate y'all for your time :D:D

Also, brexit didnt happen lol

Sounds like a very nice bike to get started on, good luck with it.

Motorbikes still work in the rain. Shocking but true :)

Life ain't always empty.

lads! Sorry for going MIA.

I managed to find a CBR500 from Ireland. Its 2018 model and had less than 4k miles on it! Loving it (when i can actually ride it because of the rain)

I really appreciate y'all for your time :D:D

Also, brexit didnt happen lol

Well this time of year, if it isn't raining it's freezing, so get out and enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

Well this time of year, if it isn't raining it's freezing, so get out and enjoy it. :)
    And sometimes its both! :D

Sounds like a very nice bike to get started on, good luck with it.

Motorbikes still work in the rain. Shocking but true :)
    And sometimes its both! :D

Lol Yeah I agree with you but its just that I started recently (first time riding a bike EVER) so I am a bit hesitant of taking it in the rain now. I mean if i am focused on keeping the balanced and not dropping it at slow speed in the sun then I feel i should avoid the rain for now.

Once I get more confident - I can ride it in the rain/freeze next year (which I absolutely will). But if I break my leg or something now riding in a condition I'm not 100% sure I can handle then I wont be riding a bike again lol.

Having said that, I do take it out for a spin in light rain/drizzle :)

• Advertisement

When I started out in the mid-90s there was a huge grip difference between wet and dry. Wet grip on tyres has improved out of all recognition since. It's still something you need to be aware of, but don't fear it.

Life ain't always empty.

When I started out in the mid-90s there was a huge grip difference between wet and dry. Wet grip on tyres has improved out of all recognition since. It's still something you need to be aware of, but don't fear it.

I remember the Metz Lazer ME33 as being a good tyre back in the day, they wouldn't hold a candle to midrange rubber these days.
    Modern tyres like the Michelin Pilot 3 and 4 (Haven't tried Road 5 yet) are exceptional in wet conditions.

Advertisement