Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Angling lessons Dublin

Options
  • 19-10-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks, complete beginner here, I'm wondering if anybody knows anybody that does lessons?
    I'm based in Swords.

Any information is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Sord195 wrote: »
    Hi folks, complete beginner here, I'm wondering if anybody knows anybody that does lessons?
    I'm based in Swords.

Any information is appreciated.

What type of fishing are you looking to learn about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sord195

Any type of fishing really. Sorry to be vague.

Sord195 wrote: »
    Any type of fishing really. Sorry to be vague.

If you want to start to fishing as soon as possible you'd be best to try pike fishing as most other types of fish are very hard caught in winter time. The only thing is you'll need to hook up with someone that has experience fishing for pike as they can be a bit unnerving to handle due to sharp teeth and they can be of a good size and it's best practise to get to some knowledge on how to catch and hold them properly.
    If you can wait until next summer, I know it's an age away, the different types of fishing open up to you. Course fishing is handy enough, with small hooks and no big sharp teeth to contend with.
    Drop in to the Swords Angling Centre in Applewood and have a chat with Ruari, he'll know of any clubs or groups that you can join and advise you on what tackle you'll need for whatever discipline you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sord195

Thanks for the info , much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

Pop into swords angling centre and have a chat there, great shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'd have to disagree with gumbo , I wouldn't start off Pike fishing if you've never fished for them before , Pike are susceptible to bad handling and a lot of Pike every year are killed or damaged from inexperienced fishing for them . Winter isn't a great time to be learning to fish as the cold weather means fish are less active so feed less often . If you do want to start fishing I'd start off fishing roach or perch first, a local tackle shop should get you started with rods rigs etc. Get a pint of maggots and hit the canal early morning or late evening , watch for fish topping the surface and cast your maggots in the general direction.

I'd have to disagree with gumbo , I wouldn't start off Pike fishing if you've never fished for them before , Pike are susceptible to bad handling and a lot of Pike every year are killed or damaged from inexperienced fishing for them . Winter isn't a great time to be learning to fish as the cold weather means fish are less active so feed less often . If you do want to start fishing I'd start off fishing roach or perch first, a local tackle shop should get you started with rods rigs etc. Get a pint of maggots and hit the canal early morning or late evening , watch for fish topping the surface and cast your maggots in the general direction.

Thats why i advised him to go with somone that has experience in fishing for pike, so someone can show him how to handle, unhook and release them correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Thats why i advised him to go with somone that has experience in fishing for pike, so someone can show him how to handle, unhook and release them correctly!

Sorry man, only half read your first post !!

Advertisement