Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf trip advice... Spain or Portugal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Id advise against la Cala. 3 courses but all of them are finikey with holes that are uninspiring and ridiculousy tight. Lots of punters selling lake balls on the road in and Id say they do very well!

Played la Cala 5 yrs ago and loved it. I'm a high hc but bought the course books beforehand to have some idea where to aim at least (rarely landed in the proper area)

Salgado in the Algarve is a wide open course low handicappers would find it easy. But a Rd with a buggy around midday was €70 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

morrga wrote: »
    The likes of Your Golf Travel seem to be able to command discounted green fees that when wrapped up into a package works out at great value.

If you book through a UK agent at the moment, you're committing to a sterling price for something that should be billed in euros and could get hit with an exchange move post brexit, if there is a brexit!

If you book through an Irish or Portugese/English agent, you are avoiding that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

searay wrote: »
    morrga wrote: »
    The likes of Your Golf Travel seem to be able to command discounted green fees that when wrapped up into a package works out at great value.

If you book through a UK agent at the moment, you're committing to a sterling price for something that should be billed in euros and could get hit with an exchange move post brexit, if there is a brexit!

If you book through an Irish or Portugese/English agent, you are avoiding that risk.

Your talking buttons. £369 package at current rates equate to €428 at 1.16. Even a calamitous fall to 1.25 adds just 30 quid. In the grand scheme of things a fiver a day extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sorry old thread - but might be some info in this of help to me too - lots has changes in golf over the last few years - but was looking for a few basics on golf in portugal these days ?

1) We are going to Albufeira - and want to play as close to there as possible ?

2) Any course recommendations - in general, they are lads who have played a bit of society golf - like decent looking courses - but would not want to spend daft money - so course in the mid range - ones to keep everyone happy - including a few lads that play a bit and are off say 12 to 18.

3) Not sure something over formal would suit - relaxed - fun - good food and beer after - welcome atmosphere.

4) How much is golf in this area these days - some lads are playing 3 rounds - some are playing 2. September.

5) Seems a basic question - but how do people generally book golf here - is there an agent - go the the clubs' own site - or what is the best wider choice site for this area (the sort of golf now for there) ?

Thanks for help -

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I wouldn’t get too obsessed with physical proximity of golf courses. Getting in, out and around Albufeira takes more time than it does to get to neighbouring towns along the motorway. You’re going to be 15 mins in transit regardless, and 30 mins opens up a pile of courses.

Salgados will be your closest course and it’s decent enough but surprisingly lacking in memorability considering there is water, literally, everywhere. It’s very much aimed at the beer-golf-beer society. Morgado is a classy, manicured course not far away though I found them a little snooty. They’ve a sister course Alamos which is shorter and fun too but not maintained to same standard. Also pretty close are sibling courses Gramacho and Pinta. They’re very much aimed at the society market and although pretty short, the large rolling greens are three putt central. All of Vilamoura’s golf courses are in easy reach too, and they’re all solid to v good, and priced accordingly.

If you can stomach a little longer in transit I’d definitely recommend Palmares and Quinta Do Lago South, the best courses I’ve played over there by a street. The former is more reasonably priced, being a right old tramp from Faro / Vilamoura.

Questions 4 and 5 amount to the same thing. Whilst it’s not hard to book tee times yourself (teetimes.pt), you’ll not get cheaper than a hotel/package package deal with the main operators. Vilamoura is sewn up with Dom Pedro Group, with a mid range offer and a high range offer. Quinta only approached a semblance of value when playing all three courses.

There’s one chain (Nau I think) that monopolises Albufeira and will hook you up with hotel, Morgado, Alamos and Salgados for humble enough money.

And then there’s the Pestana Group who’ve a litter of hotels, plus 5-6 courses including Pinta and Gramacho (and Vila Sol, which is supposed to be very good if too busy).

you could contact them directly but you really won’t save much more than 20 a man by just calling Golf Breaks or Your Golf Travel and letting them look after it. They’ll even throw you a new driver in if you bring enough people along.

i prefer Golf Breaks. They were exceptionally accommodating for my group when we had to bounce a trip twice due to Covid and lost 8 players. Little things like that go a long way.

Just make sure if you’re going with them, that the price includes every golf and airport transfer. They’re often put on my the courses as part of the green fee, but having them booked in advance takes away a lot of mucking around for your group.

——

I have thought about providing my knowledge as a business for this lol.

• Advertisement

Re price, everything is going up always, as we know, but €500 (okay flights) shouldn’t be far away with the Nau / Pestana packages. They’ll have “as much golf as you can play” included - but getting tee times for a group might already be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Thought your golf travel were expensive, have went with golfbreaksinspain.

€470 for 3 nights in fuengirola and playing 3 different courses. Includes breakfast, buggies and all transfers.

sorted flights and bags seperatly.

question on packing clubs, can i bring driver and wood heads in hand luggage?

Lads ...got offered

Salgados and Silves ?

Again ..lads are sort of average handicap 22 or so

Like their fun day ...a few beers ?

Anybody know anything about Silves and any further comments on Salgados...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

Not a fan of Salgados. If it was me I give it a miss. One or nice holes but overall I find it a bit bland.

Anyone ever play Silves ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Has anyone played Dom Pedro Victoria in Villamoura? Trying to squeeze a few rounds in during a two week holiday over there and was looking at playing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thelankylad

Nice course, its a big ballpark (depending on the tees you play). Plenty of water on the back 9. But it is pretty generous off the tee.

It and the old course are the two premium courses of the Dom Pedro 5. I would be more inclined to play Victoria rather than the Old if you are going to splash out on one.

The Laguna course is a shorter, cheaper version of Victoria (plenty of water on it, some great holes). Greens can get very quick if it is windy, but a really enjoyable course.

Pinhal and millennium are cheaper versions of the old course (tree lined, perhaps a little repetitive).

Does Silves sound familiar to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

I played Silves last September. Course was in good condition. It's more of an older tratitional type course as opposed to newer resort type courses. Part of Pestana golf and hotels that own about 6 golf courses.

I would play again if opportunity arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Yes,

Play there every year including February last. Decent course in good condition, won’t beat you up, would definitely recommend.

Anyone played golf in Mallorca?

planning a trip for next year and the volume of flights make it a viable option. Golf seems to be decent, but there’s not much of a golf trip culture it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Played salgados up on 10 yrs ago at this stage. At the time it was fine for a high HC who wasn't playing much, but now I reckon it wouldn't be much of a challenge for myself (16 HC now) . No hole stood out at the time. If the price is ok it might be fine for a game after a heavy night out..🙈🙈

Advertisement