Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attack on Titan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gbear wrote: »
    I've been wondering about some of the story-telling decisions in the show in season 2.
    I don't think they really sold the identity of Reiner and Bert as the Armoured and Colossal titans.
    Going through the flashbacks, there was enough foreshadowing to make me believe that it wasn't something they just pulled out of their arses half-way through this arc in the manga, and that it was always the plan, and I'm sure I had suspected Reiner as one of the blond people that might be the armoured titan (because it not being an important character would be bad storytelling), but in terms of selling his character it felt like they cheated.

Their apparent solution to essentially show Reiner's POV without spilling the beans about who he was, was to pretend that he was inhabiting a different persona in those scenes, and it felt like a copout and an excuse for resorting to bad storytelling in order to maintain the mystery.

Annie, for example, was pretty well done, because she always felt a bit off and her position as an outsider sold it, as did Ymir's, albeit to a lesser extent because she was less prominent until the section in the Castle in season 2.

Having said that it would be boring for the two titans to have been nobodies, Bert kinda was a nobody, so revealing him was a bit of a damp squib. In general, the way that reveal was structured was puzzling. It felt like they dropped into an episodic format and they had finished doing whatever it was they were beforehand and now they needed some new drama - queue awkward reveal: "Hey, Eren, we're murdering genocidal lunatics, and we'll casually slip it into conversation, even though we know you're horrifically traumatised by the effects of our actions that lead to the brutal death of your mother in front of your eyes."

Wasn't a fan of that either, but it is essentially the same way in the manga with the reveal being handled in the background of a panel while another conversation is going on in the foreground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

it all seemed very rushed tbf,although the anime at the moment it all went down was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Wondering when they're gonna announce season 3 is delayed? Isayama said he's looking forward to the latest arc adaptation as he's using the anime to suggest some changes to its flow as he has regrets about the original, so my interest is piqued but, yeah, we're four months into the year without even a hint of anything, so anticipate another long wait despite the tease of '2018' at the end of season 2. Actually surprised they would announce it so quick, as I thought the significant flash-forwards present in the season 2 but not the manga was meant to prep people for not seeing the later stuff adapted any time soon.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/03/22/attack-on-titan-creator-hopes-season-3-will-let-him-erase-regret-of-the-manga

No spoilers in link's article beyond a teaser poster for season 3 that doesn't give much away.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Wondering when they're gonna announce season 3 is delayed? Isayama said he's looking forward to the latest arc adaptation as he's using the anime to suggest some changes to its flow as he has regrets about the original, so my interest is piqued but, yeah, we're four months into the year without even a hint of anything, so anticipate another long wait despite the tease of '2018' at the end of season 2. Actually surprised they would announce it so quick, as I thought the significant flash-forwards present in the season 2 but not the manga was meant to prep people for not seeing the later stuff adapted any time soon.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/03/22/attack-on-titan-creator-hopes-season-3-will-let-him-erase-regret-of-the-manga

No spoilers in link's article beyond a teaser poster for season 3 that doesn't give much away.

Leaving it a bit late, they announced it would be starting in July. Not out of the realms of possibility though, the Arifureta anime got delayed an entire year a couple of weeks after it was announced and was originally supposed to air this season.

Season 3 has now been confirmed to start broadcast on July 22nd and will run for 24 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Season 3 has now been confirmed to start broadcast on July 22nd and will run for 24 episodes.

Just saw and the trailer looks slick as all hell. The books have recently hit a high note as well, so looks like this year is gonna be pretty hype for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Looks like we'll get to see more of Levi this season. I can't wait for the story to progress. I was down to wait til next year or 2020 for this season so having it this soon (by AOT standards) was a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Yup, Linked Horizons aren't doing the opening this time like with the first 2 seasons and Junior High. The opening is performed by X Japan with vocals from L'Arc en Ciel singer Hyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Episode 1 was great. Glad to see that Levi is going to be more relevant. Opening song is quite different compared to the last 2 seasons. Not my favourite song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Watching season 2 atm, I've read the manga further than this, but I just wanted to see if it was any better presented here than in the manga.

Like with One Punch man for example, where every jump to new medium (webcomic > manga > anime) adds new scenes, improvements and development for things.

Attack on Titan though seems exactly the damn same. I'm so frustrated with it as a property, it's probably the most uneven thing I've ever watched. It is equal parts brilliant and terrible, which I feel averages out to be an "okay" show.

I don't think I've seen any show or property that handles plot-twists worse than it. It essentially mentions something surprising off-hand and blows past it, before immediately having a flash back to the surprising moment when everybody realised the plot twist and was actually surprised.

If the plot-twist being presented in a surprising way happened first, why not show it in chronological order? Why flash back to it after you've already spoiled the twist by being crap?

Also Erin might be the worst main character of anything I've ever watched. He's an idiotic one dimensional ball of rage that seems to have no redeeming qualities. The following scene happens too many times

Perfectly reasonable person: Hey Erin. Fire is hot. Water is wet. Gravity makes things fall down.

Erin: *screaming* WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. THAT CAN'T BE POSSIBLE!!! FIRE IS MY FRIEND IT CAN'T POSSIBLE BE HOT!! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!! GRAASSFGHGHAJSHFAIJH

I'm really hoping season 3 is better. And by better, I mean "Actually good".

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Wasn't aware season 3 had started until I checked this thread. Time to get watching.

Wasn't aware season 3 had started until I checked this thread. Time to get watching.

its quality so far, theres a slow but ****s slowly about to kick off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Watching season 2 atm, I've read the manga further than this, but I just wanted to see if it was any better presented here than in the manga.

Like with One Punch man for example, where every jump to new medium (webcomic > manga > anime) adds new scenes, improvements and development for things.

Attack on Titan though seems exactly the damn same. I'm so frustrated with it as a property, it's probably the most uneven thing I've ever watched. It is equal parts brilliant and terrible, which I feel averages out to be an "okay" show.

I don't think I've seen any show or property that handles plot-twists worse than it. It essentially mentions something surprising off-hand and blows past it, before immediately having a flash back to the surprising moment when everybody realised the plot twist and was actually surprised.

If the plot-twist being presented in a surprising way happened first, why not show it in chronological order? Why flash back to it after you've already spoiled the twist by being crap?

Also Erin might be the worst main character of anything I've ever watched. He's an idiotic one dimensional ball of rage that seems to have no redeeming qualities. The following scene happens too many times

Perfectly reasonable person: Hey Erin. Fire is hot. Water is wet. Gravity makes things fall down.

Erin: *screaming* WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. THAT CAN'T BE POSSIBLE!!! FIRE IS MY FRIEND IT CAN'T POSSIBLE BE HOT!! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!! GRAASSFGHGHAJSHFAIJH

I'm really hoping season 3 is better. And by better, I mean "Actually good".

AoT anime is definitely not the same as manga, they re-organize the chronological order of the events that was showed in manga. Speaking as someone who started manga when it first came out and still following AoT closely. Couldn't care less about the anime version but damn I enjoy it.

Actually, Anime revealed some stuffs from time to time that wasn't revealed in manga (in s2 and s3). The quality (and the budget) they manage on AoT is just unreal.

Just finished season 3 of AoT. It's been a great second half of the season and really opened up the world & lore.

Is last nights ep the season finale?... Haven't watched yet but balls 😂

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Is last nights ep the season finale?... Haven't watched yet but balls 😂

Yeah. Final season announced for next autumn, should be 2 cour running to the end of the manga which is ending shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Bit late to the party. My friend recommended this series to me.
    We don't have the same taste in films but he recommended Game of Thrones to me and I didn't regret watching it so I figured I'd give his anime suggestion a go. I'm not an avid anime watcher. I liked digimon tamers, dragonball z (back in the day), code geass, death note, steins;gate, fullmetal achemist brotherhood, and some other anime of varying quality.

Attack on Titan is probably the worst I've seen. Shouty, angsty and boring with a paper thin plot that they make convoluted in the hope that it appears interesting. I watched 8 full episodes of season 1 and the "twist" just made the whole AoT universe seem very small and uninteresting. I read the plot synopsis for the next few eps and couldn't believe how little ground was being covered. In the end, I watched a 10-minute summary of series 1 and 2. What a glacial pace, uninteresting twists, daft looking titans, a story becoming very convoluted.. I really hated this show. I can't believe they made so many episodes.

I'd probably rate it as one of the weakest animes I've seen, and I watched and enjoyed Sword Art Online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Can't disagree with anything you've said.
    antix80 wrote: »
    I'd probably rate it as one of the weakest animes I've seen, and I watched and enjoyed Sword Art Online.

Haha, great little turn of the knife right at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Haha, great little turn of the knife right at the end there.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Where are people watching this online?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Where are people watching this online?

Crunchyroll or Funimation Now. No discussion of where to find illegal streams here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The first season is on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Crunchyroll were doing an extended trial for covid, not sure if they still are, but they still offer 30 days in the U.S. but I think 14 days here. Not sure if a VPN works to get U.S. Trial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well, first episode of the final season is out.....holy hell, what a ride! Can see why so many manga readers have said some of the best moments will be coming up soon.

Ya, that was a great episode. Gonna be a fun final season!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Waiting for the dub, but is the manga finished as well?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Waiting for the dub, but is the manga finished as well?

Not yet. It is planned to end at the same time as the anime, similar to how FMA ended at the same time as Brotherhood.

• Advertisement

Not yet. It is planned to end at the same time as the anime, similar to how FMA ended at the same time as Brotherhood.

Attack on titan is actually one of the few anime I prefer in sub format. The eren roar in dub just doesn't sound right haha. Yesterday's episode was great though

Advertisement