Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

https://www.xtremeupload.ie/ (New File Sharing site! Please review)

• 19-11-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys, I've setup a new site for transferring files: https://www.xtremeupload.ie/

Been a while working on this and just loaded up first public release! Still many more features to add but would appreciate any constructive feedback or info bugs discovered.

It works in a similar way to other sites that do the same thing but hopefully does it slightly cooler!

If you like it, please spread the good word :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sgealbhain

So guys, just checking in to see if you have any opinions or suggestions?

https://www.xtremeupload.ie/

DWD2LSVXcAEJGt4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

No Information about the company, its location or terms and conditions on the home page - would put me off straight away. Also not obvious how you register. UI needs a lot of work.

Thanks Alan, we currently do not have a registration option. What suggestions do you have on the UI? Appreciate the feedback!

Thanks Mr.S - All good points and privacy policy and T&Cs is something I am working on. It's pretty much still in beta and we dont yet have an iPhone app so tried to make the site work on mobile.

What I was going for was quicker interaction with end user. Something simple and plain, like Google. But judging from the first couple of comments on the UI it seems we have a way to go!

What suggestions would you make in terms of how the UI would better function?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What is the point of the website? To upload an image or whatever just for you to email it someone - why wouldn't I just email it myself in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Before I even look, what are you letting me do that I can't already do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

sgealbhain wrote: »
    Something simple and plain, like Google

Humm, the homepage isn't simple. There is a lot going on visually.

Remove this for starters '© 2017 - www.xtremeupload.ie - All rights reserved', add it in as a link to a page to your privacy policy or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

endacl wrote: »
    Before I even look, what are you letting me do that I can't already do?

Just to comment, this can be done already.

However, I do think what the OP is zoning in on is local (provided the server is local) stress free drop hosting. Again been honest, if it's extremely simple it brings in copyright problems due to abuse.

Hey guys - The objective isn't to be original. The concept itself has been around for a long time! I do appreciate the feedback however :D

To answer the question 'what do I get that I can't already get' - I guess you can do stuff with less clicks. The style of the site, privacy policy and T&C are under development but I've noticed with many other sites there's a process to follow before you can actually transfer the files.

An analogy would be if Google asked you to choose between free search and 'sign up for a plan' when you go to their front page, before you could even search. I wanted to try get straight to the point.

Someone made a point that the interface isn't simple and there's a lot going on visually. What would you do in this respect to simply things further?

Thanks guys for all the great feedback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

We transfer

Drop files

To who

From me

Message optional

Send

• Advertisement

We transfer

Drop files

To who

From me

Message optional

Send

VW, Toyota, Peugeot, Skoda... There's a peice of pie for everyone :D

Oh last but not least, I haven't seen any of these sites facilitate once off customers? They're all based on monthly subscription. We cater to people wanting to do large once off transfers but not have to subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Free wetransfer has a big limit

WeTransfer is 2GB. XtremeUpload 2.5GB Free.

If you want to transfer anything over 2GB with WT, you have to sign up. If you want to send 40GB with us it's a once off payment. No subscription + no adverts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Do you think it can make a profit? I’d imagine all that file hosting and bandwidth won’t come cheap

GarIT wrote: »
    Do you think it can make a profit? I’d imagine all that file hosting and bandwidth won’t come cheap

Well, eventually I hope so Gary! :D

It's gaining traction all the time but we still have a long way to go with trying to refine things. We'll keep plugging away at it!

fritzelly wrote: »
    What is the point of the website? To upload an image or whatever just for you to email it someone - why wouldn't I just email it myself in the first place?

Ever emailed a 70GB file? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sgealbhain wrote: »
    Ever emailed a 70GB file? :P

Actually...

Does the site offer upload resume? If not what difference does the size matter, if dealing with large files like that then more than likely you have an ftp server for sharing

fritzelly wrote: »
    Actually...

Does the site offer upload resume? If not what difference does the size matter, if dealing with large files like that then more than likely you have an ftp server for sharing

Resuming uploads (chunked uploads) is something we are working on to account for breaks in internet connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not sure how to review this.

I guess it depends on who the target audience is. If it's for the warez market, then branding is fine but there's no business model. If the intention is to get business users with a view to using for sharing files with customers, etc, then you need to completely overhaul the branding - it's too dark and warez style.

Regardless of audience, there are a few things that can be improved in terms of design - the uploaded file sharing link could be more obvious, the To: and From: form design is a bit clunky.

HTH.

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to review this.

I guess it depends on who the target audience is. If it's for the warez market, then branding is fine but there's no business model. If the intention is to get business users with a view to using for sharing files with customers, etc, then you need to completely overhaul the branding - it's too dark and warez style.

Regardless of audience, there are a few things that can be improved in terms of design - the uploaded file sharing link could be more obvious, the To: and From: form design is a bit clunky.

HTH.

Good points Trojan! I wasn't aiming at warez at all but agree it doesn't really appeal to business users which I will be reconsidering. We may not have to rebrand as you can call a business anything nowadays and sell services to businesses (example: GoDaddy...???) but I agree in its current incarnation it wouldn't really attract business users!

• Advertisement

New UI in the works :)

28872607_410925185999855_6283464470316449792_o.png?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeHfYBeaFzspw01eBtj6J0cIpHvs7CsY6I38gEe3Ow6dEqzgSrR_knJdiN_HTlS1SvMvzX9bYokeNYpfeUlA7lZKg5BmxKi8qCuT0n1EOGCsHA&oh=06c187cfd4f6292cd52f0214e3bf3ccc&oe=5B545047

31870966_10216985798818254_2242357933675380736_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=bbece554b80673a81334eeac43e193cf&oe=5B8AA2FD

The new UI is now live! https://www.xtremeupload.ie/

32264449_10217054531176520_8970308638174347264_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=6f1f097e9667c5d8537822b0ec5c65c5&oe=5B8117AE

Good points Mr.S thanks! We've resolved a lot of those issued you mentioned. The reason it was taking ages to load was because we were using 4K backgrounds which have now been reduced.

Still working on the privacy policy etc.. Basically the data is stored on a server in Ireland currently. After 7 days its deleted. If anyone uploads files and sends them to someone, anyone with the link can download them.

There's a slice of pie for everyone, not just the big boys :)

Quick update guys, added a cool new % status on transferring files along with transfer speed :~)

da4d96e52d2aaf6de0be8b6426f73511

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Still nothing on T&Cs, privacy policy/GDPR compliance.

All of that on the way Pelvic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Visually,
    1. I would remove the backgrounds from the nav buttons on the top right.
    2. Pin the copyright and social links to the bottom of the page and centre the upload section more.
    3. I feel moving the about section onto the main page would work better. Keep the landing portion full screen but when the user scrolls that's the first thing they see.
    4. In the about section, centre connect with us.

Very minor things, otherwise I think it looks clean.

Performance,

All the audits, tests I ran didn't perform so great. I used testmysite.io google lighthouse and pagespeed insights.

For a relatively small site (on the front end), there's no reason you shouldn't be nailing your performance scores.

Once you add T&C's etc it will give you a bit more legitimacy.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dazftw wrote: »

Once you add T&C's etc it will give you a bit more legitimacy.

They have been coming since February 2018..mentioned again August 2019. For a company handling peoples data to not take things such as GDPR, a privacy policy and terms and conditions seriously that's a big red flag.

Axwell wrote: »
    They have been coming since February 2018..mentioned again August 2019. For a company handling peoples data to not take things such as GDPR, a privacy policy and terms and conditions seriously that's a big red flag.

Thanks for the feedback. This was really a side project so hasn't had all of our time. The basic T&Cs are in the About Us section. It's not really a privacy based service, it works on the same principle as email. Eg, if someone forwards your email to someone else, the 3rd party then has it. Same thing applies to file transfer sites that don't offer privacy based transfers (Encryption & Password Protection - Something we may incorporate in the future).

It's essentially a temporary store to get big files from point A to point B and then delete them off our storage permanently.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, finally got to fix the upload issues with some new devs (Yes, after 2 years lol). Hoping to continue work on this over time. Check out the slightly new version @ https://www.xtremeupload.ie

Advertisement