Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sage Bambino

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yeh, I tend to dial in by weighting and measuring everthing precisely... but then take a much more casual approach when I'm confident with where its at...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Bluefoam wrote: »
    That was my struggle... Machine didn't come with non pressurised baskets, nor could I buy any anywhere... Actually I did, I ordered one from Australia, but it has yet to arrive.

I expressed my disappointment to Sage and in the end they offered to find a set of non pressurized baskets for me... which I am using I'm not interested in supermarket coffee, so the double wall baskets were useless to me.

Apparently, the machines made after January have the non pressurized baskets, but I don't know how you guarantee that. I can confirm that my brother now has a silver Bambino and it has the baskets.

Heya. Any advise on getting in touch with them? I opened a ticket via their website, but yet to get a reply.

I want to try the non pressurized baskets too, as the "Espresso" grind level coffee chokes up the bambino for me. Also if I try to load in any more than 12-14 grams of coffee, it also chokes up the machine on a finer grind.
    I am assuming that's probably too much blockage for a single tiny hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Bambino to upgrade from my moka pot. Would anyone be able to tell me if I would be able to start off using the likes of Levazza pre ground (espresso or crema gusto, etc.) in the pressurized basket before I am able to add a decent grinder into the equation?

I don't want to end up buying the machine and not being able to use it until I can add the grinder. Has anyone tried this?

bricky06 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Bambino to upgrade from my moka pot. Would anyone be able to tell me if I would be able to start off using the likes of Levazza pre ground (espresso or crema gusto, etc.) in the pressurized basket before I am able to add a decent grinder into the equation?

I don't want to end up buying the machine and not being able to use it until I can add the grinder. Has anyone tried this?

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

Ringing the UK number is the best way to establish contact with them...

• Advertisement

You can, it will work no problem with those, in fact some of the Tesco Deluxe range coffee's I think are nice. So feel free to experiment.

I bought a De'Longhi blade grinder in Harvey Normans when I got the Bambino. It is not the most consent grinder :( but if you give a good rattle while grinding coffee it can decimate stuff pretty evenly.

But yeah a consistent grinder and bambino kind of go hand in hand and the store bought stuff will be very uniformly ground and will get you a good coffee.

Better than the instant stuff anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Blade Grinder owners!

Coffee Guru James Hoffman has a video showing how to get the best out of your equipment.

Thanks for the replies. I have decided I will buy one at the weekend if there is stock with non pressurized baskets included. I won't get to the shops during the week but have asked Harvey Norman chat support... they were less than helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Anyone know where to find the single wall baskets, cant see them anywhere online.

perrier wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find the single wall baskets, cant see them anywhere online.

Got a reply from Sage to say they have none in stock.
    Have seen a naked portafilter on Amazon for Sage Bambino. Half way tempted to get it.

• Advertisement

perrier wrote: »

I couldn't find them anywhere... Ordered one off eBay in Australia in March or April but it still hasn't arrived.

I was on to sage about the baskets and there's a fella to come back to me on when they will have them back in stock. I'll post it in here if he does come back with something decent, he said it would likely be a few weeks though.

I was on to sage about the baskets and there's a fella to come back to me on when they will have them back in stock. I'll post it in here if he does come back with something decent, he said it would likely be a few weeks though.

Yes I had a look at the Brevile/Sage sites worldwide and all are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Stock on the Sage website for spare parts and accessories is a joke. It must be down to the increased amount of people that bought machines coming into the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i asked a few week weeks back was something like 12+ weeks before they expect to get them. on a side note the sage support is crap. you get a quicker response from eir and thats saying something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hsram_ydnar

I know these aren't the cheapest options but sharing my experience. I managed to end up with two unpressurised baskets, both from AliExpress.

The first one cost €17 and took 9 weeks to arrive. The second came with a bottomless portafilter, cost €50 including express shipping, arrived after 5 days. Overpriced, but the unpressurised basket makes a big difference.

I've just received the 2 shot single wall filter basket I ordered from Australia in April...

If anyone needs one, I'll let you have it for €20. That won't cover me for the cost... But might suit someone. PM me if interested. Collect in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

I've just received the 2 shot single wall filter basket I ordered from Australia in April...

If anyone needs one, I'll let you have it for €20. That won't cover me for the cost... But might suit someone. PM me if interested. Collect in Dublin.

PM sent

The basket was collected this evening. Hope you get good results from it. I saw a big difference when I moved to fresh coffee. Thanks all who sent a PM, hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hsram_ydnar

I'm happy to let my spare unpressurised double shot basket go for cost (€17).

Collect in Dublin, PM if interested.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to let my spare unpressurised double shot basket go for cost (€17).

Collect in Dublin, PM if interested.

PM sent

Sage support just confirmed to me that they have the unpressurised filters back in stock and they are sending me out a set so get on to them if you didn't get them in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

Sorry, if I'm breaking the rules.

Looks like I got a new hobby and planning an upgrade. If you interested, I'm selling my bundle which was collecting the last months:

Bambino plus espresso machine (purchased 2020 end of May, Harvey Norman) - used for 1-2 cappuccinos per day.

Included:
    From the box:
    1) SAGE milk jug
    2) 54 mm SAGE tamper
    3) 54 mm single cup double wall filter basket
    4) 54 mm double cup double wall filter basket
    5) Packed new SAGE water filter (purchased new one in July, as original is still being used in the machine)
    6) Cleaning disc
    7) 54 mm portafilter

Additionally accessories included:
    1) Cafiza tablets ~80 left (8€)
    2) SAGE descale pack - 4 packs, unboxed (15€)
    3) 54 mm funnel (10€)
    4) 54 mm distributor tool (25€)
    5) 2 x Breville 54 mm single wall double cup filter baskets (delivered from US - 20€)
    6) 54 mm SAGE single cup single wall filter basket (5€)

280€ for everything.

Will send 54mm calibrated tamper (20€) and bottomless portafilter (28€) when arrived. Can provide tracking numbers. They are in EU already.

Photos in adverts. Not sure that I can post a link to it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

my parents are looking to upgrade from their De'Longhi Dedica they are having to clean out the basket thoroughly before every use as it is blocking constantly,
    and have found the Sage Bambino for 299 on Harvey Normal.
    I have also found Velo Coff Sage Bambino for 10 euro cheaper in Damson Blue, it looks the same and their website says it comes with
    1 & 2 Cup Dual Wall Filter Baskets. Are these the un-pressurised filters people are having issues with, or am I lost.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    my parents are looking to upgrade from their De'Longhi Dedica they are having to clean out the basket thoroughly before every use as it is blocking constantly,
    and have found the Sage Bambino for 299 on Harvey Normal.
    I have also found Velo Coff Sage Bambino for 10 euro cheaper in Damson Blue, it looks the same and their website says it comes with
    1 & 2 Cup Dual Wall Filter Baskets. Are these the un-pressurised filters people are having issues with, or am I lost.

You need 1&2 shot single wall baskets/non pressurised. For the extra tenner I'd go into Harvey Norman and check the contents of the box before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

You need 1&2 shot single wall baskets/non pressurised. For the extra tenner I'd go into Harvey Norman and check the contents of the box before buying

got a Sage Bambino from Harvey Norman the other day, only came with 1/2 shot dual wall pressurised baskets.
    They get the machines from the store-room, so not sure how you can check from outside, apart from opening the box i suppose. maybe by serial number.

anyone know If i ping Sage support, would they send out the 1/2 un-pressurised baskets ?

its a great little machine BTW

SM

got a Sage Bambino from Harvey Norman the other day, only came with 1/2 shot dual wall pressurised baskets.
    They get the machines from the store-room, so not sure how you can check from outside, apart from opening the box i suppose. maybe by serial number.

anyone know If i ping Sage support, would they send out the 1/2 un-pressurised baskets ?

its a great little machine BTW

SM
    Yes,I contacted them a month ago and received my baskets last week free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

FCB1899 wrote: »
    Yes,I contacted them a month ago and received my baskets last week free of charge.
    How did you manage that? I’ve contacted them several times and have gotten nowhere.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    How did you manage that? I’ve contacted them several times and have gotten nowhere.

Raised a case via customer support outlining disappointment at not getting non pressurised baskets and that I didn't buy the machine to just make coffee using pre ground supermarket coffee.They were back to me within 24 hrs and had the baskets a couple of weeks later.

• Advertisement

Good comparison of espresso machines, €100 - €500 from James Hoffman:

https://youtu.be/7HIGdYy5of4

Advertisement