Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 litre Beer Keg

Comments

How do you dispense these, is there an internal tap or have you bought a unit ? Genuine interested question!

They come with a built in tap on them and a separate pressure release valve thingy at the top. As you dispense the beer, a vacuum builds inside the slightly empty keg and you need to release the pressure to ensure that the beer flows properly. It takes a little getting used to but nice and handy when you figure it out.

I did buy a cooler unit which has a mechanism that you slot the tap into but it's much of a muchness, really and just as easy to use the built in one.

Also, are you using bier-wine.de??

Yes. Under a tenner for 9 pints is a bargain in anybody's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishGaz

Hi all, do you think the 5L kegs you can get in Ireland will fit this beer dispenser. (previous boarder mentioned).

https://www.expondo.ie/royal-catering-beer-dispenser-with-cooler-5-l-2-to-12-0c-10011324

I called a shop in Dublin and they said they have had a few people ask about this and they advise they don't think Irish 5L kegs will fit the beer dispenser. I notice they have a tap and more rounded and maybe why but the system says it will take most 5L kegs. I am about to buy one of these and wanted to check beforehand. Maybe one of the previous Boarders here has been successful in using the kegs. Was looking for the Heineken 5L one also but not for sale anymore in Ireland for some time now. If anyone recommends a beer keg similar would be great. I will also look at ordering online like previous posts but will try and get a keg local to try as I could return the item in 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭The Mulk

https://www.amazon.de/Clatronic-3740-Liter-Partyf%C3%A4sser-Temperaturregelung-Edelstahlgeh%C3%A4use/dp/B07WLCLBJ1/ref=pd_sbs_201_5/261-7402905-8129817?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WLCLBJ1&pd_rd_r=2ea8553a-bd67-46c1-b1c6-247193803898&pd_rd_w=jcQoE&pd_rd_wg=rehYY&pf_rd_p=42bf0ad8-ce6f-4127-a2f0-106727020a41&pf_rd_r=44G2M2ZXXK79M1RM0N0P&psc=1&refRID=44G2M2ZXXK79M1RM0N0P

I bought one of these (or similar) on Amazon.de, it's a bit of craic pulling pints alright.
    The CO2 keeps the beer fresher and under pressure rather than allowing air into the mini keg, which is what you do by venting the top.
    The cartridges are available locally for less that a euro each. You also can leave the keg out of the fridge, in the machine.
    The 5 litre mini kegs seem to be universal so they should fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks great Mulk, how would you say it compares to draught beer from a pub, is it close enough or more so similar to drinking out of a can

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks great Mulk, how would you say it compares to draught beer from a pub, is it close enough or more so similar to drinking out of a can

I've only had Pilsner yet, from it, so it's hard to compare it to a pint of Lager from a pub, but it's enjoyable.It had a lovely head on it that stayed till the end.
    There's some kegs of German Lager /Pilsner in Supervalu for €25 if you wanted to try them out.
    Chill them, have some friends over and finish it in an evening. If you're happy with the taste, invest in a machine
    They're very user friendly and a bit of craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Supercon85

1st order:
    Paulaner x 3 - €33
    Rothaus Hefe x 2 - €24
    Bitburger x 2 - €20
    Delivery - €47

Total: €124 for 35 litres, or about €2.04 per pint
    Ordered 29th May and delivered 26th June

2nd order:

Flensburger Wheatbeer x 2 - €23,38
    Waldhaus Blackforest Wheat Beer x 2 - €24,16
    Gaffel Koelsch x 1 - 10,71 €
    Lausitzer Porter Dunkel x 2 - €25,32
    Weismainer 1798er Kellertrunk x 1 - €11,20
    Cider 5l keg "BEMBEL WITH CARE" x 1 - €13,64
    Weltenburger Barock Export Dunkel x 2 - €21.43
    Delivery - €67,70

Total: €197 for 55 litres, similar price per pint at €2.03

Ordered 10th July and all marked as shipped bar the cider.

Any luck with the second order?

An issue with the beer dispenser.
    Some of the kegs come with a hard plastic bung, in the top. The Paulaner has one and is not suitable to just fit it straight in.
    The Pilsner I had was very straight forward. Pop the centre of the bung and push the tube straight in.
    There's no centre hole in the Paulaner bung, so I had to break it and replace it with one supplied with the machine. It seems a few are like this.
    There's videos on YouTube, but none showing an easy way to remove it.
    If anyone had had a similar experience can they share any wisdom they might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got one of the Krombacher depenser ones a few weeks back and was a disaster

Think i made a balls of the ventilator side of it and think i never pressed that valve after i finished pouring , Pints tasted like crap and flat

Nice to try it out and think ill stick to cans/bottles from now on (and pints whenever the hell pubs open)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deadcasual

Bought 2 kegs of Paulaner from Beir Wein. Shipped on 10th of July. Still waiting. Must be seized by customs.

Hi. Just to share I got a beer dispenser (Royal Catering) and it arrived during the week. It took a week for delivery. Its the "Factory seconds Beer Dispenser With Cooler" via expando.ie and came across it by accident when I googled for one. You have to then search Beer in there search area and it shows the new and factory ones but sometimes unavailable or timeline mentioned available for new ones. https://www.expondo.ie/royal-catering-beer-dispenser-with-cooler-10010978 Just need to keep an eye on the them. Mine seems to be brand new in box and cant find anything wrong with it yet. You do need to go over the manual (3 pages) a few times as I read some people didn't put the spike into keg correctly and wasted beer or didn't put the CO2 in correctly which also leaked. Here is the one I bought for €150. €215 for one of their new ones. Seams a German company and was shipped from a Poland warehouse. Free shipping and returns if required and parcel tracking. I found a keg in Centra €25 (Krombacher) by accident and couldn't find any other ones in Tesco, Super Value, Lidl in Wicklow. When I was in Dublin this week I got one (Veltins) when passing the DrinkStore €26. https://www.drinkstore.ie/store/filtered/c_20/ct3_Mini-Keg-5L/ I had a chance to taste the Veltins when I picked up a small bottle of it in Super Value prior so I got this one. Couldn't get a small bottle of Krombacher to try prior to getting that keg but do find it a bit flat so not sure if its that beer as I couldn't compare to a bottle of it. When I replace that keg with the Veltins one I will see. On the Krombacher keg when I opened the air release valve on it I then had to break and pull out the unit on top with small pliers which caused slight spillage and then placed the reusable rubber seal which came with the beer unit to allow the spike go into key. (spares come with it and adaptors for Heineken kegs also but seems you cant get them pressurised kegs in Ireland anymore) The unit is good as it keeps the key pressurised with CoO2 and will see how fresh with gas over the next few days. Here is the video also on how to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D88LiWyUYjQ. I wasn't sure if you could use the 5L kegs but you can by simply removing the top ring unit and fitting their rubber adaptor. Now trying to sample the 5l kegs before buying is the challenge. Here is a video on another sytem but if you go to 1.10 into it you see what he does to put adapter into keg and pull out ring on top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzqsZVcGvw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Unhappyinjob

Beer kegs were shipped on 11th of July. Not arrived yet. Any know what options I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

Beer kegs were shipped on 11th of July. Not arrived yet. Any know what options I have?

My second order took a month to arrive,first order was 3 weeks

Veltins & Krombacher €25 a tin in Supervalue Killiney. Got 2 x Veltins for €50 & €5 off app voucher for €45. €22.50 a 5l.:)

Any joy with deliveries, i want to put an order in, just wondering is there a crackdown in customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swardy1

2nd order placed on the 29th June and despatched with DHL on the 11th July. Received An Post tracking on the 5th August - expecting delivery today.

Supercon85 wrote: »
    Any luck with the second order?

2nd order:
    Ordered 11 kegs total - 10 beer and 1 cider
    €197 incl shipping - all 10 beer marked as shipped on site, cider still not marked as shipped yet
    Paid 15th July and shipped in two separate parcels on the 16th July
    1st parcel (5 kegs) arrived without issues on the 21st July
    No sign of 2nd one, I contacted DHL who told me to take it up with the retailer
    Emailed bier & wein yesterday asking for update
    2nd parcel arrived this morning with the remaining 5 kegs via An Post (which is a bad sign)
    Driver handed me a revenue letter saying excise duty is due
    Had to pay €52 cash to the postman, which I was a little wary of, but he didn't accept any other payment method

Total of €249 for 10 kegs counting everything paid. Not too bad, but when you figure in the first order (€124 for 7) I paid €375 for 17 kegs, or 85 litres.

This works out at €2.50 per pint or €2.26 per 500ml can/bottle. Still a bargain. Without getting snared by revenue, those figures would be €2.17 per pint or €1.91 per can. Not too drastic, really, especially for the types and range of beers available.

For anyone thinking of ordering from Bier & Wein:

The standard boxes they use hold 5 kegs. These boxes are branded with their name and logo so there is no illusion as to what exactly is in them. The first order was in two separate boxes of 4 and 3 kegs each which were unbranded / plain brown boxes. The second order came in two x 5-keg branded boxes and I'd say the first lot just sneaked through (DHL guy was complaining about the weight but said "I'd say they won't be too heavy for much longer", so he definitely knew). Second lot was stopped and opened.

tl;dr - If you are buying from them, I'd limit the order to 4 kegs or fewer per order. This will ensure that the box is not branded and you'd be more likely to get it through without revenue being an issue.

Revenue letter showing up as a ridiculous size when I embed the image, so see attachment for details. Here's the text of it for anyone curious:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

With regard to the above import, The Revenue Commissioners are willing, without prejudice, to release the alcohol to you on payment of the itemised Excise and VAT liable on this shipment. Payment is collected by An Post Delivery driver. The Revenue Commissioners wish to inform you that such leniency may not be shown in future where similar importations of excisable products are detected.

Yours sincerely,

Da Gubbermint

It is clear from the invoice included in the package that this is one of multiple shipments to do with the the one order, so it is unclear if the wording above is just a generic cut & paste job or if they altered it for my parcel specifically.

there is a sticker on the box labelled "custom Docket" which give the breakdown of fees as follows:
    Customs value -  €51.00
    Excise duty -    €24.80
    VAT @ 23% -      €17.43
    An Post fee -    €10.00

Total: €52.23

Just had an post deliver my 4 mini kegs. Customs charge €46.50

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've been allowed to pay customs this time you probably won't next time. Seizure and destruction

L1011 wrote: »
    If you've been allowed to pay customs this time you probably won't next time. Seizure and destruction

2 orders with 1 customs charge. I'll quit while I am ahead. No more orders for me.

• Advertisement

Big crack down in recent weeks, they must be bored in customs. Lads getting all their jerseys from China seized too.
    It was on the news last week of a crackdown, looking for cigarettes.
    With duty it now works out at 25 a keg, same price as Supervalu.
    I got 2 kegs for 15 pounds each in Tesco Newry last week, golden ale, my dad will love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Supercon85

It's not illegal once you pay the duty....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Supercon85 wrote: »
    It's not illegal once you pay the duty....
    They're under no obligation to allow you to do that. The rule for intra-EU goods is that the tax is paid by the vendor before shipping. Revenue and An Post don't want a situation where they're regularly collecting cash on the doorstep, hence this warning-shot approach. Make a habit of smuggling and they'll just destroy the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

IrishGaz wrote: »
    Hi all, do you think the 5L kegs you can get in Ireland will fit this beer dispenser. (previous boarder mentioned).

https://www.expondo.ie/royal-catering-beer-dispenser-with-cooler-5-l-2-to-12-0c-10011324

I called a shop in Dublin and they said they have had a few people ask about this and they advise they don't think Irish 5L kegs will fit the beer dispenser. I notice they have a tap and more rounded and maybe why but the system says it will take most 5L kegs. I am about to buy one of these and wanted to check beforehand. Maybe one of the previous Boarders here has been successful in using the kegs. Was looking for the Heineken 5L one also but not for sale anymore in Ireland for some time now. If anyone recommends a beer keg similar would be great. I will also look at ordering online like previous posts but will try and get a keg local to try as I could return the item in 14 days.
    The 5 litre kegs currently being sold by Irish craft breweries will definitely fit in this dispenser.

It even comes with an adapter for the Heineken kegs too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I wonder why they don't auction the stuff off, a few times a year ?

Wilson Auctions seem to do a lot of the auctions for the Irish and British Governments, and I'd have thought they'd be reasonably well set up to handle this kind of thing too.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    ....Revenue and An Post don't want a situation where they're regularly collecting cash on the doorstep, hence this warning-shot approach. Make a habit of smuggling and they'll just destroy the stuff.

With An Post collecting a tenner a go - I'd have thought they'd be only too delighted to be doing this, tbh. I'm assuming their charge is a fixed fee btw, per post No. 138 above.

Sure, they need to get a bit more modern, in how they collect the payment, but otherwise - isn't it paying them better than a lot of local delivery jobs, selling licenses etc ?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

IrishGaz wrote:
    Veltins & Krombacher €25 a tin in Supervalue Killiney. Got 2 x Veltins for €50 & €5 off app voucher for €45. €22.50 a 5l.

500ml bottles of Veltins, Krombacher, and Weihenstephaner have been 4x for Eur 10 in Tesco Navan for the last several months

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

garrettod wrote: »
    With An Post collecting a tenner a go - I'd have thought they'd be only too delighted to be doing this, tbh
    "They" meaning An Post? It's not An Post's decision, it's Revenue's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The 5 litre kegs currently being sold by Irish craft breweries will definitely fit in this dispenser.

It even comes with an adapter for the Heineken kegs too
    Have you done it? what's the quality like compared to straight out the keg? Kinda tempted, if I could be sure that they Irish Craft Breweries are committed to mini kegs!

All the 5l kegs seem to fit but you have to take the stopper from top out with pliers and fit the bung in from dispenser. I mentioned it in previous post also. Also Centra in Wicklow have the usual two kegs and also Tennants (supervalue) (not sure about this one/not for me) in for €25 and also Supervale in Killiney/Dublin this week.

https://www.facebook.com/powerscentrarathnew/photos/a.1670249389863687/2791178647770750/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

The Mulk wrote: »
    Big crack down in recent weeks, they must be bored in customs. Lads getting all their jerseys from China seized too.

Are you sure?
    I was assured by moderators on boards that all these jersies were perfectly legal and this is why there was a very long running thread about them

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057635672&page=194

I do wonder if there are a large number of trainee custom officials that don't have much to do until the new year and the brexit transition period is over.

Advertisement