Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nugan Estste La Brutta. Picked up in Supervalu as it has unusual grapes Zinfandel and Petite Sirah. Actually from Australia I assumed would be California.

Bit too jammy for me, has some sweetness to it and I prefer dry. So rich it is halfways towards port!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Now this is more to my liking, Wyndham Estate Shiraz "Bin 555", €15 in Supervalu.
    9300727007391_3.JPG

Full bodied and powerful but well balanced and not overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Any Bordeaux here worth trying?

https://online.flippingbook.com/view/294804/6/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

^^ Sorry, I don’t tend to buy a lot of Bordeaux. The St Emillion options should be decent, but I haven’t tasted any.

Had this bottle of L’Hermine Muscadet Sèvre et Maine recently. Currently €12.80 from Curious Wines Cork. Light bodied, fresh, green apples with a touch of salinity. Lovely chilled or with seafood.

hermine_muscadet-1498568747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Pineau des Charentes
    I discovered it on holiday in France last year.
    It is very nice chilled in Summer, but I actually prefer it in Autumn/Winter, as an alternative to Port and Sherry which sometimes I find too rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

otnomart wrote: »
    Pineau des Charentes
    I discovered it on holiday in France last year.
    It is very nice chilled in Summer, but I actually prefer it in Autumn/Winter, as an alternative to Port and Sherry which sometimes I find too rich

Just discovered discovered Portuguese Late Harvest Wine.
    Reminds me of an eiswein. Beautiful balance of sweetness and acidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Faustino V reserva on offer in Tesco at the moment for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Muscat de Valence 15%
    Another nice alternative to Port and Sherry.
    I find it stickier than the Pineau des Charentes, but it is not bad at all.

We had the 2017 version of this Moment of Silence wine last night in Nightmarket Thai restaurant, Ranelagh. It’s a blend of Grenache Blanc, Viognier and Chenin Blanc. Rich, good mouthfeel, flavours of Stone fruit and a creamy nuttiness. Excellent.

SA0001-e1513803232901.jpg

I signed up for the Sunday Times Wine Club out of curiosity. The first case arrived recently and we started with this 2017 Cabalié. From the Rousillion, it’s made with old-vine Grenache with some Syrah & Carignan, and it’s packed with berry, fruity flavours with a touch of spice. It doesn’t have huge complexity, but it is damn tasty. Would definitely enjoy again.

0022617b.png

Our second bottle was a Moldovan Chardonnay called Chain of Stones. Unoaked, this was very light & fresh. Interesting to try, but not distinctive enough to want to drink again.

3478217b.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

dudara wrote: »
    I signed up for the Sunday Times Wine Club out of curiosity.

Do you find any of the Irish online sellers do good case deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Dickerty wrote: »

curious wines do some good deals.

Dickerty wrote: »

Most of them will do good deals or bin end boxes. Curious Wines and Winesonline come to mind, but I’m sure there are others.

Keep an eye on Event Brite, a lot of wine tastings taking place in November ahead of Christmas.
    I can see events for Lilac Wines D3, and Wines Direct in Arnotts.

And of course, the OBriens Winter Wine Fair will be on in November also.

Byron Santa Barbera Pinot Noir from O'Briens €25.

* The blurb says A super silky Pinot Noir ... This sumptuous Pinot is all about superb, intense fruit and boy does it deliver - and that's a better description than I could come up with. I can confirm it's accurate!
    * Had a belated Thanksgiving dinner, so American wine paired with Silver Hill duck.
    * ps for some reason it is now labelled as Nielson by Byron, but tastes just as good.

13WUSA008-Byron-Santa-Barbara-Pinot-Noir.png

I was recently given a bottle of Canto 5 blue wine as a gift. It’s made by Bodega Diez Siglos de Verdejo and is 80% Verdejo and 20% Sauvignon. The bright blue colour is said to come from the natural anthocyanins in grape skin, with the additional natural food colouring.

It’s supposed to taste like an off-dry rosé, but to be honest, I found it too sugary for my liking. And it’s just bloody weird drinking something the same colour as a Mr Freeze.

1055117-384572.jpg

Madiran is a region in the south west of France that produces some seriously dense, high tannin, chewy red wine. Tesco stock Les Tugeots Madiran, on offer at €9. It kinda needs something to soften it up, perfect cheese wine, but somehow both cheese and wine work together.

'Tannat' seems to be the name of Madiran in South America. The style there is lighter than in Madiran, more fruit, less chewy.

At a recent tasting I sampled the Uruguayan Garzon Tannat Reserva, priced at €20, and it's a quality wine. Long finish, a wine with 'heft'.

Following a recommendation in Indo Saturday Weekender magazine I picked up a bottle of the the Brazilian 'Soul' Tannat, €10 in Redmonds Ranelagh. Also stocked in The Grape Vine and Jus de Vin and other independent off licences.
    This is lighter and more fruit forward. Good with food or on its own.

I think the Uruguayan wine is the best of the three, but depending on what I'm eating etc I can eimagine picking up bottles of the other two.

24921-00_brazilian-soul-tannat-premium-selection-2012.jpg?1526787801

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭mikep

We enjoyed the generic Barolo from Lidl last night..not bad value at €14.99

I had the Saxa Loquntuur Uno 2015 from Lidl last night..very nice and good value at €10.99.
    Had the same makers "tres" on saturday which is more expensive (€16.99) but also nicer!

I also came across an article from 2009 where the tres was listed as retailing at €15.99, nice to see the price staying steady..

I was at a Wine of Australia tasting in the Mansion House complex during the week.
    Was great opportunity to try out some Tasmanian wines for the first time.
    Some of the wines on offer are still seeking outlets in Ireland, so it's a little frustrating if you find one you really like.
    Also, there's a risk of Shiraz overload at an Aussie tasting!
    I'm not an expert taster and possibly some of the Tasmanian pinots such as Dalrymple were overshadowed by more powerful reds and would be better appreciated with food.

This was my pick of the night, a powerful Australian red, Two Hands Bella's Garden Shiraz 2015, retails at €49 in the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

Two-Hands-Bellas-Garden-776x1176.jpg

Honourable Mentions:
    - Two Hands "Gnarly Dudes" Shiraz €28
    - Peter Lehmann, "The Barossan" Shiraz 2016 €20
    - Peter Lehmann, "Clancys Red" blend €11
    - D'Arenberg "The Stump Jump", GSM red 2015 €14
    - McGuigan "Delight" Moscato, 0.4% alcohol, €5
    - McGuigan "Black Label" red blend, €12
    - McGuigan "Shortlist" Eden Valley Riesling, €18
    - Croser Adelaide Hills sparkling NV €20
    - Knappstein Watervale Clare Valley Riesling €17
    - Thorn Clarke "Terra Barossa" Cab Sav 2016 €16.99
    - Thorn Clarke "Terra Barossa" Red blend with Petit Verdot €16.99
    - Kirrihill "Regional Selection" Clare Valley Cab Sav 2017 €18
    - Three Lions Great Southern Pinot Noir €23
    - Janscz Premium Cuvee Tasmania Sparkling White NV €35
    - Ian Botham "Parcel Collection" Barossa Shiraz €40

I like dry \ mineral Rieslings rather than sweet.
    The non alcoholic Moscato would be great for a lunchtime meal out. Think M&S stock it.
    The Thorn-Clarke range is in Donnybrook Fair & Gibneys.
    The Kirrihill range is in The Winehouse, Howth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

uNjIarK.jpg
    favourite wine in a while or ever, Borgogno No Name Nebbiolo 2014 - a protest label when borgogno got their barolo sample back from the DOCG inspectors as "too bright". After 2 hours open it really bloomed and was the star of the chrimbo dinner.

Have one bottle left, will keep hold of it for a while in my stash which actually consists of two more barolos

Can you get the Borgogno in Ireland or did you bring bottles from Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can you get the Borgogno in Ireland or did you bring bottles from Italy?

First time I had it in Turin, I ordered 2 with some other italian bottles from xtraWine

Picked this up in curious wines. It's 16.99 normally but 20% of Argentina at the moment. If I had came across this before xmas I'd have made it my xmas dinner wine as I think it would have lended itself well to both the turkey and the ham. Reading tasting notes there was no mention of spices but to me there was a really nice hint of mulled spice on it and some really nice winter fruits.

Cordero-con-Piel-de-Lobo-Malbec.jpg

Cune (or CVNE) Rioja Reserva 2014, a lovely silky Rioja.
    It was a present but I think you can get it in Supervalu and OBriens.

8410591002338_3.JPG

The CVNE Reserva and Gran Reserva are often discounted in Tesco, excellent value when the 25% off promotion is running..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gnarly Head Zin.

0822420294933.png

The CVNE white Rioja is also quite nice.

Had this wine in Tenerife - Malvasia based, aromatic &!slightly floral with a touch of volcanic. Very nice

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSFKArkrBIZu6RsjGIwAaSYpCOpSVLE_anAxGu8d_cJmh8z8sFK

OH is a big fan of this Malbec on offer in Tesco & Centra at the moment for under a tenner.

dona_paula_cardos_malbec_15_750.png

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    OH is a big fan of this Malbec on offer in Tesco & Centra at the moment for under a tenner.

An excuse to drink more Malbec.

Sure. :D

Advertisement