Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clontarf Baths demolishion/redevelopement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Due to the sensitive nature of the site and the harsh conditions of building in a marine environment, the
    reconstruction of the Baths has gone vastly over budget.

When doing up their budget did they not realise Dublin Bay is a marine environment? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thought things had ground to a halt there recently. Blaming the weather is a bit lame considering we’ve had the mildest year in decades this year. Bad budgeting more like.

If DCC don’t step in to save this project, and I can’t see anyone but the hardiest swimmers willing to use this facility year-round, then someone is going to buy it out of receivership and make a killing. All the heavy lifting has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Some shots from a friends Drone from Yesterday (Sunday 12/November).

WhkFoFah.jpg

fuqtr9ph.jpg

t87ONbJh.jpg

Looks pretty impressive, when ever it will be completed...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The indoor area isn't that large - I'd have thought there would be more for a cafe or whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't see any wheelchair access to the 'pool'. I thought that was compulsory these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

There is a real market for a venue with steam room/sauna and pool without having to pay for a gym and if the outside pool is heated it would attract a large membership IMO. Is it DCC you have to contact for details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

MisterDrak wrote:
    Looks pretty impressive, when ever it will be completed...

Wow looks amazing. I certainly will be travelling up from Limerick to try it out when built.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

spurious wrote: »
    I don't see any wheelchair access to the 'pool'. I thought that was compulsory these days?

The space on the far right, between exterior wall and case block might be for a lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

humberklog wrote: »
    The space on the far right, between exterior wall and case block might be for a lift?

Maybe, but it looks like there is lots of space for adequate ramps to have been designed in. Ramps don't break down or go out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭bren2001

This is due to open at the end of next month. It looks like a disaster.

The pool is not open to the public, they require €400,000 funding from someone to cover insurance, life guards etc. so for the time being, the pool element is only open to clubs who have their own insurance and life guard.

It also looks absolutely terrible. Its looks like a concrete mess.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/first-look-clontarf-baths-after-2-4m-revamp-1.3365904

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

bren2001 wrote: »

The pool is not open to the public, they require €400,000 funding from someone to cover insurance, life guards etc. so for the time being, the pool element is only open to clubs who have their own insurance and life guard.

Tell us what you really think Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

I emailed about membership they said they have no plans as yet but are looking into it...also I note that the pool is unheated....I think that would be me out, I am too much of a wuss for winter swimming and if it is that nice in the Summer I'll just go to Howth or Killiney. Don't really see the point except if you are in a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Not sure if they cared much about the pool anyway, seems this was a way to build a restaurant where you would not gotten planing permission. Don't get me wrong, i actually like the project, but i never understood why you would need in 2018 a to small, unheated outdoor swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I thought the whole point was that its heated? Sad, I was excited for it. A heated pool would be amazing with that view

And how did it cost 1 million to built that pool if its not even heated and the structure was already there, it was just simple concrete basin to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

wakka12 wrote: »
    And how did it cost 1 million to built that pool if its not even heated and the structure was already there, it was just simple concrete basin to begin with
    ...1 million is not sooo much, if you consider the the cost of lowering the flood wall in clontarf :-)

They’re spending an absolute fortune on the place - 30+ tradesmen on site everyday. Their website www.thebaths.ie says they’ll be opening the restaurant gradually so they really are making this up as they go along.

It’s going to be a totally unique location when it’s completed but then they have to make it financially viable with the restaurant/cafe. 8 out of 10 new restaurants fail.

Their nerves must be shredded by this stage, you have to wish them the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They’re spending an absolute fortune on the place - 30+ tradesmen on site everyday. Their website www.thebaths.ie says they’ll be opening the restaurant gradually so they really are making this up as they go along.

It’s going to be a totally unique location when it’s completed but then they have to make it financially viable with the restaurant/cafe. 8 out of 10 new restaurants fail.

Id say it'll be extremely popular due to the view it allows

Indeed. Give that place to any experienced restaurateur and they'd probably make a killing. But they've never run a restaurant before. That's why they're opening gradually.

Is it not just a view of the oil and gas tanks on the port area?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Where are the customers going to park? There is only 8 /10 spaces there & the road outside is a bus lane.

It’s not near the dart & a good walk from car parks... or at least too much of a walk for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bren2001 wrote: »
    <snip>
    I think the concrete helps it retain a lot of the "character" of the old baths!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

I'd say it's more likely the bank's nerves are shredded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

onimpulse wrote: »
    Where are the customers going to park? There is only 8 /10 spaces there & the road outside is a bus lane.

It’s not near the dart & a good walk from car parks... or at least too much of a walk for a lot of people.

It is 5 minutes walk to the nearest car park which has at least 60 spaces in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

If I recall correctly, the semicircular road is closed off, but if it was reopened as a one way, and parking perpendicular to the kerb ( I think it's wide enough) then there would be a good amount of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Downtime wrote: »
    It is 5 minutes walk to the nearest car park which has at least 60 spaces in it.

But usually at least 50 cars are already in it at weekends though as it is... the baths has 250 capacity, just for restaurant, add another 50 for baths ?

If we assume a third of the users are travelling by car... then unless they magic up some spaces nearby, then I think there's going to be parking issues in the area for sure / or an emptier restaurant.

It is walkable for me, so handy for dinner\drinks... but certainly if I'm out and about during the day and want to call in for lunch but need to be somewhere before hand or afterwards quickly then I'd need the car.
    A lot of other people will be thinking along the same lines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But usually at least 50 cars are already in it at weekends though as it is... the baths has 250 capacity, just for restaurant, add another 50 for baths ?

If we assume a third of the users are travelling by car... then unless they magic up some spaces nearby, then I think there's going to be parking issues in the area for sure / or an emptier restaurant.

It is walkable for me, so handy for dinner\drinks... but certainly if I'm out and about during the day and want to call in for lunch but need to be somewhere before hand or afterwards quickly then I'd need the car.
    A lot of other people will be thinking along the same lines.

Also mentioned earlier in the tread, as cars are pulling out from the Baths / Restaurant they must cross the cycle route. At the weekends I know some lads doing sessions along that route and are moving pretty quick...
    I'm just waiting for the headlines !

They don't have this problem 400m up the road at Vernon Ave, as the cycle path cuts around the inside of the car park.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Also mentioned earlier in the tread, as cars are pulling out from the Baths / Restaurant they must cross the cycle route. At the weekends I know some lads doing sessions along that route and are moving pretty quick...
    I'm just waiting for the headlines !

Won't be just cars in the mix, it'll be pedestrians, families with kids on little pushbikes and prams etc... they'll be treating that section as a car park not as a cycle route, and I've seen how oblivious some people are in car parks.
    Short of some sort of BMX ramp so the bikes can jump that section it's going to be a melee.

Supposed to be opening next week...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/clontarf-baths-3863707-Feb2018/

The large swimming pool contains a sluice that will allow filtered and clean Irish Sea water to enter and pump it out again in a refreshment process every few weeks. Part of today’s court application included the presentation of a food menu for the Baths’ two restaurants, it includes seaweed-seasoned cocktails and Dublin coddle pizzas. The main restaurant can provide seats for 160, with a further 90 seats available on a weather-proofed outside terrace – both with panoramic views of Dublin Bay. In order for a new development to be granted a pub licence, an existing one has to be extinguished. Cullen, who owns the Seafield Hotel and Spa Resort in Co Wexford and the Turk’s Head in Dublin, bought out the licence formerly attached to Browns Bar on the Naas Road in Co Dublin for €60,000.

I don't think anyone will be sipping poolside Pina Coladas just yet...

Coddle pizza?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Coddle pizza?

Looking forward to trying it! :D

Advertisement