Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

• 20-06-2015 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - try the forum search function. Here are a couple of search results that you may find useful...

Aldi threads in F&D

Aldi threads in C&R

I've moved this thread to the main Food & Drink forum as your query is appears more related to general produce rather than cooking or recipes.

tHB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I do all of my grocery shopping in Aldi with the exception of coffee. As a former chef I tend to stick to 'basics' (i.e. I cook ;) ) so can't comment on their ready meals with the exception of their curries which I believe are superior to either Marks or Tescos.

At the moment I am happily eating my way through Rosamund Grant's Taste of the Caribbean cookbook using only Aldi bought products and enjoying some seriously good food every night at an average cost of a fiver for two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There's a good few things from Aldi we love so I'll list them here:

-Specially Selected Madras Curry Sauce (Aldi's curry sauces get rave reviews here. This one has a spice pot attached to the top of the jar, and it's delicious)
    -Naan breads (You get two in a pack for 79c and they're lovely)
    -Brannan's Deli Style Roast Beef Slices.
    -HotDog Rolls
    -Orange Squash

And all their cheeses are fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tea. McGraths Gold Blend. Passed the Ma's taste test, so all is good there!

Kavanagh's Porridge. Just the big 1k bag. Creamiest I've tasted so far.

Jams.

Greek Style Yogurt.

Curry sauces.

There are lots more, I just can't think at the moment, although I am mentally going up and down the aisles as I post!

Enjoy, you will find lots to please you in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tis all good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I do my whole shop in aldi except for the baby formula because they only stock SMA and he's on cow and hate. Well worth it. 50e in tesco and I get a skimpy carrier bag 50e in aldi and I've filled half a trolley!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Their dry age steaks in the black box are fab

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Find there fruit is poor quality, especially the berries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think the thread may be shorter if you ask what to avoid!

God bless Aldi, this recession would have been an awful lot worse if they weren't around. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ribeye steaks, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, brioche burger buns, rice cakes, cheeses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'd second their rib eye steaks. I wouldn't normally buy my meat at a supermarket but Aldi are one of the better ones - also for really good extra mature chedder and really tasty brannagins smoked rashers.

Their veg and fruit can be hit and miss prefer a veg shop but they are impressively cheaper here and if you remove any veg/ fruit pre bagged from their plastic hell straight away - they stay fresher for a bit longer.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'd second their rib eye steaks. I wouldn't normally buy my meat at a supermarket but Aldi are one of the better ones - also for really good extra mature chedder and really tasty brannagins smoked rashers.

Their veg and fruit can be hit and miss prefer a veg shop but they are impressively cheaper here and if you remove any veg/ fruit pre bagged from their plastic hell straight away - they stay fresher for a bit longer.

Love the Hickory Smoked rashers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

+1 on this

I also like their continental meats. For whatever reason their chorizo is friendlier to my stomach than some others. I also like their parmesan and low fat mozzarella is great to mix with full fat one so pizzas are not so wet. And big thumbs up for me for their specially select olive oil.

Fruit and veg is not that great but I actually think Irish supermarkets sell dreadful quality of especially impoted fruit in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I had one of their rib eyes last week ( not the specially selected) , divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

Chili tuna
    Olives
    Brioche rolls
    Fresh pesto
    Dried chili flakes
    Perlenbacher
    Mascarpone
    Greek style fat free yoghurts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I tried their Speciality Curry Sauce, the Madras one and indeed its lovely, going to try the Korma one next. I also bought some of the Kavanagh's porridge to try (not the Organic version). I might try the McGrath's tea bags, mind you I find it hard to believe that they have won a Taste Award and the like of Barry's Gold have not.... mind you i don't know how these thing are awarded.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I tried their Speciality Curry Sauce, the Madras one and indeed its lovely, going to try the Korma one next. I also bought some of the Kavanagh's porridge to try (not the Organic version). I might try the McGrath's tea bags, mind you I find it hard to believe that they have won a Taste Award and the like of Barry's Gold have not.... mind you i don't know how these thing are awarded.

The McGrath's tea are made by Robert Roberts. I used to love them but they taste different now; like they changed them somehow.
    Aldi do this with a lot of products; they did it with their cream crackers...they stopped selling them for about a month and when they returned, they had changed the recipe.

Yeah, love the Madras curry sauce; the Rogan Josh one is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Oh thanks will try that one as well.

somewhere on the boards i read that Aldi used to do frozen mashed potatoes but can't find them in our one, do you know if they have discontinued?

i like cooking but can't be bothered with making mash... it has always turned out yucky.

thats a shame about the tea... never mind .... i often wonder why on earth people change a formula
    when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Most of the below are not massively superior to what is available in other outlets (the exception being the cheddar cheese) but they are as good as any and so much cheaper!

Fresh basil pesto
    Specially Selected cheddar
    Frozen North Atlantic prawns
    Butchers Choice sausages
    Cashew/pistachio nuts
    St. Etienne beer
    Not from concentrate orange/apple juice
    Wagon Wheels (6 for 99c!)

They also have lots of foodstuffs like pasta, rice, porridge, noodles (20c!) etc. which are as good as any and massively cheaper. Then you have your Super 6 for fruit/veg (8 nectarines for 49c type thing) and the special offer meat section e.g 4 pork chops for €3. This is the icing on the cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the 'free from' range is good too.It's a lot cheaper than elsewhere and te biscuits and cakes are lovely. They've a good selection of ice lollies and ice creams too.

• Advertisement

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Oh thanks will try that one as well.

somewhere on the boards i read that Aldi used to do frozen mashed potatoes but can't find them in our one, do you know if they have discontinued?

i like cooking but can't be bothered with making mash... it has always turned out yucky.

thats a shame about the tea... never mind .... i often wonder why on earth people change a formula
    when it works.

Not sure I'd go down the processed potato route until someone told me about Aldi's frozen baked spuds - 4 large in a packet - Ok microwaved if you haven't the time but baked in the oven they are actually very authentic! And 1 is more than enough per person. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 josephineperry

I shop at Aldi pretty often, I find it quite good, and it's cheap. I don't usually buy meat there, but all the other products are good quality in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Not sure I'd go down the processed potato route until someone told me about Aldi's frozen baked spuds - 4 large in a packet - Ok microwaved if you haven't the time but baked in the oven they are actually very authentic! And 1 is more than enough per person. :)

Sorry, I'm going to need this one explained to me. They are frozen baked potatoes, that you bake in the oven ?? Would that not just be the same as baking a potato in the oven ?? :confused::confused:

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm going to need this one explained to me. They are frozen baked potatoes, that you bake in the oven ?? Would that not just be the same as baking a potato in the oven ?? :confused::confused:

Well yes - but don't take as long and they're for the microwave really - I know completely lazy but if all the spuds are gone and you have a packet of frozen ones in and are in an incredibly lazy dinner mood they are handy - ala Frozen chips/frozen roasties ( except I hate them but these actually resemble a proper potato)

Edit to add; I had a similar reaction when I first heard about them - but if there's frozen mash too well...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As already mentioned, all the staples are great.
    Fruit and veg can be iffy, but usually good if you go earlier in the day, as otherwise you can be left with very little selection.

Their choc coated choc-chip biscuits are the best 'visitor' biscuits to have and I've tried!
    Thier coco-pops are nicer than normal cocopops.
    Shower gels, toothpaste, mouthwash, are every bit as good, although I find their razor and razor blades not as good as the branded unfortunately.
    All their cleaning products are quality also.

I havent tried much of their frozen stuff, as the quality of the other food is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Their Toro Loco Red wine is really nice, would def recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

They do lovely scotch, too.

Kev W wrote: »
    They do lovely scotch, too.

I wonder if Aldi do glasses too because I just read that as "They do lovely crotch too."

:D

I shop at Aldi pretty often, I find it quite good, and it's cheap. I don't usually buy meat there, but all the other products are good quality in my opinion.

The meat in Aldi is fantastic.

Their steaks, in the black box, are probably the best I've ever had. The roast chickens are tender and juicy (when cooked, obviously), the mince beef is perfect and the pork's excellent.

Compared to Tesco, who seem to always stock chewy tough meat, Aldi win by a mile.
    I had a chicken from Tesco recently that was tough...that was a new one me; tough chicken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the free range chicken is very tasty

Advertisement