Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Wow, thank you for that amazing reply. You have gone beyond anything I expected from a reply and I am very grateful!

Unfortunately for me All I do have right now is salt :( I usually buy ingredients when I need em and usually cook stuff like burgers, looking to grow my cooking skills though, not that it takes much for what I usually cook :P

Wish I could of afforded this though as it looks amazing! Thanks anyway though and again what an amazing reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have the Pork marinating in the spice mix in the fridge at the moment. Gonna leave it overnight and stick it in the slow cooker early tomorrow morning. Don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving it overnight, especially since I've never used it before, and sure at least I get to have it tomorrow evening for dinner. :)

Luckily enough I had a lot of the ingredients in the cupboard (even had the Nam Pla) so it didn't cost that much. Although I did have to buy a Slow Cooker but I'll definitely use that again.

Made some crackling from the left over skin to help with the wait :)

dsc0532ah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Bought a tesco brand slow cooker today - they have 3.3L on offer for €20 at the moment. Once I saw it, your photos came to mind!

Will be giving this recipe a go over the next week or so - looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I made this for tonight, so only had a quick taste and it is so yummy. Im sure there will be none left by midnight.

Thanks Sparks

ml4mcm.jpg

Forgot to add an update. Made this over the Christmas and it was lovely. Took nearly 10 hours to do and I didn't lose any cooking liquid so I think I'll just leave it cooking over night next time.

The addition of the Cider Vinegar to the BBQ sauce is pure genius, gives it an extra dimension and a lovely zing.

Next time I make it I'll do it over the weekend so I can have it for lunch during the week. It'd be great as party food too.

Oh and the addition of the coleslaw and pickles really lifts it.

dsc0539x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Ok, so my pork is rubbed, rubbed really good and in the fridge quivering in fear.

I have two questions:

Where can I get molasses? I ran around a few supermarkets and food markets today and couldn't find it.

What can I use instead? I don't like the idea of using honey, it seems too light compared to molasses. Could I mix brown sugar with honey?

That's more than two questions. :(

I got it in the baking section in Tesco, tucked away on a bottom shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

reallyrose wrote: »
    Where can I get molasses? I ran around a few supermarkets and food markets today and couldn't find it.
    Tesco does carry it, but there's usually only a few jars in the baking section.
    What can I use instead? I don't like the idea of using honey, it seems too light compared to molasses. Could I mix brown sugar with honey?
    If it was really dark brown sugar, maybe - but the flavour of black strap molasses is pretty unique...

Sparks wrote: »
    Tesco does carry it, but there's usually only a few jars in the baking section.If it was really dark brown sugar, maybe - but the flavour of black strap molasses is pretty unique...

Yeah, I remember having a taste of it ages ago. It's sorta strangely bitter for something sweet. If you get me. (At least I think it was black strap molasses)

I shall try the Huge Giant Tesco near Vincent's Hospital tomorrow. I'm determined to get this right!
    *waves tiny fists*

I might even put the coriander on. Even if it is a devil herb.

Gone for take II :)

Pulled_Pork_II.jpg

That smell when it's cooking really is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Sparks, you are a scholar and a gentleman. This was my second attempt at pulled pork and by far the best. I love the vinegar aspect, and am eager to try it out on the South Carolina father in law.

A note on cooking times - I have the 6.5l Cookworks one that was on special offer in Argos recently. 9 and a half hours on high did a four and a half pound piece of shoulder (off the bone) to perfection. So yes, your mileage may vary depending on the cooker you own.

Another note - pulled pork with anything (up to and including other people's fingers) tastes good, but it's great for brunch with eggs on top :D

Thanks for the kind words emaleth :D Glad you enjoyed it!

I made this for the second time last night. I was making food to bring to a party, so I figured meat covered in bbq sauce was manly enough for it!

It went down a storm, the bowl was practically licked clean. People loved it.
    I'm sitting here in my fragile hungover state really wishing that I had some more of it. It seems like it would be good recovery food. :)

Nomnomnom, well done Sparks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Is the chillie necessary? I would love to try this recipe, but I'm allergic to chllie :( I can use chillie powder, but only a small amount (1 or 2 table spoons of it).

Yup, you can leave out the chilli pepper when doing the slow cooking. You lose the kick, but if you're allergic, that's probably a good thing :D

You might want to leave the Cayanne Pepper out of the rub too, but leave the chilli powder in - it's not just powdered chilli, it's an actual spice mix, so you'd lose a lot of flavour if you lost that, and since it's just in the rub, there's not too much of it in the final dish.

Nomnomnom, well done Sparks!
    Cheers rose :D

Yup, you can leave out the chilli pepper when doing the slow cooking. You lose the kick, but if you're allergic, that's probably a good thing :D

You might want to leave the Cayanne Pepper out of the rub too, but leave the chilli powder in - it's not just powdered chilli, it's an actual spice mix, so you'd lose a lot of flavour if you lost that, and since it's just in the rub, there's not too much of it in the final dish.
    I can use the powder chillie and cayenne pepper (have used them a few times with no reactions, thankfully) it's just actual chillies that I have reactions to unfortunately :(

Thanks for your help. Will get a slow cooker next weekend hopefully.:D

Oh and is this slow cooker ok, or would you recommend another? I'm a student on a budget and cook for one (usually).

Yeah that's the slow cooker. I got the same one too.

I've actually made it again this weekend. So that's me sorted for lunch for the next few days. :)

Is the chillie necessary? I would love to try this recipe, but I'm allergic to chllie :( I can use chillie powder, but only a small amount (1 or 2 table spoons of it).

I totally forgot to add the chilli to my last batch and it was still epicly delicious. :D

Oh and is this slow cooker ok, or would you recommend another? I'm a student on a budget and cook for one (usually).
    That's the one I use myself these days (I had a larger one but it was too large for a small flat and cooking for two). Only thing to note is to cook the pork on high rather than low - the heating element won't get it done if you cook on low. Other than that, it's perfect.

• Advertisement

I totally forgot to add the chilli to my last batch and it was still epicly delicious. :D
    Haha thank you!!!

Absolutely dying to make this lol!
    That's the one I use myself these days (I had a larger one but it was too large for a small flat and cooking for two). Only thing to note is to cook the pork on high rather than low - the heating element won't get it done if you cook on low. Other than that, it's perfect.
    Thanks very much. Will pick it up next weekend.

Will prob make it on Saturday (hopefully!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Pork shoulder is wrapped up in the fridge. Will cook overnight tomorrow and have it on saturday. Looking forward to this one!

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Pork shoulder is wrapped up in the fridge. Will cook overnight tomorrow and have it on saturday. Looking forward to this one!

Also have it in the fridge this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hello!

Finally got around to making this, ever since I saw the recipe I have been dying to try it! Got my slow cooker for Christmas so all set!

I have the rub on and its in the fridge for the night. Guna pop it into the slow cooker in the morning before work so it will be all ready for tomorrow evening!

I have been looking all over the place for Molasses, tried two big tescos today, and a supervalu, and cant find it anywhere.

Is Treacle anything like it? Could I use that?

Couldnt find Nam Pla either, but am set for everything else

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

RESULT!

Sparks cant thank you enough, this is one of the best recipes I have tried..ever!

It is sooooo tasty, and its easy to make, just have to be patient to let it work! Went down a big hit here tonight, esp with a nice cool beer!

img9290v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Left mine marinating a little longer so I cooked it for 9 hours last night. The smell from the slow cooker is AMAZING!! Can't wait to tuck into this for the ireland game later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Mimojo wrote: »
    Hello!

Finally got around to making this, ever since I saw the recipe I have been dying to try it! Got my slow cooker for Christmas so all set!

I have the rub on and its in the fridge for the night. Guna pop it into the slow cooker in the morning before work so it will be all ready for tomorrow evening!

I have been looking all over the place for Molasses, tried two big tescos today, and a supervalu, and cant find it anywhere.

Is Treacle anything like it? Could I use that?

Couldnt find Nam Pla either, but am set for everything else

Thanks!

I used honey instead of the molasses and i left out the nam pla, still turned out great :)

I was so delighted to have finally made this. But, I made an absolute mess of it! I done way too much sauce and way way way too much vinegar :(

It wasn't really nice at all. Was disappointed, but will try again.

146907.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I've made a similar recipe to this before and it's always delicious the first night. Not so good the second day after heating up in the microwave - somehow tastes fatty and greasier. ANy tips on reheating that will keep the good flavour?

• Advertisement

Not so much reheating, but the longer you cook it for and the more fat you take off it in the beginning (and after you take it out of the cooker but before you pull it), the better it'll taste; and if you add a little more vinegar, it'll cut through any fatty taste. Just don't add too much...

Advertisement