Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here versed on the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

• 18-02-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey all, I was just wondering if someone here could help me out with this. So here is where I'm coming from..

My father passed suddenly recently and I would like to read some passages from the Tibetan Book of the Dead by his graveside, does anyone know of a relevant ritual in that respect?

He wasn't overly religious but was a spiritual person and embraced Buddhism in so far as living and enjoying his life through simplicity. He died in hospital surrounded by those he loved, and those who love him, but he was unconscious and medicated when he passed and this worries me for some reason. I would like to perform a ritual of this kind to help guide his soul and to bring some peace and closure at this difficult time.

Any help or advice appreciated,
    best regards
    C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Sorry to hear of your father's death.
    It sounds like he had a good life, attuned to simplicity and spiritual things which is helpful after death.
    That you wish to do things to help him, in the Tibetan traditions/culture, this is extremely good to do.

There seem to be a number of things you can do. Yes, reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead (Bardo Thodol), in the time after death (particularly the first few weeks) is good to do. The talk traditionally about 49 days for practice for the deceased as they transition through the bardos. It is said to vary how long one spends in different bardos. I think there are, traditionally, periods for reading different chapters of the Bardo Thodol. So the chapter(s?) on the bardo of dharmata would be read in the first few days. And the chapter(s?) on bardo of becoming would be read more in subsequent weeks. I don't have my copy of the book with me (away from home at present) so can't check what chapters are what. The recent version by Graham Coleman & Gyurme Dorje is more true to origins than some earlier ones.
    I don't know in any detail about appropriate times and places to do practices or reading texts. It's said that in the first few weeks, the person associates with people and places familiar in life. So, I'm guessing that home is one of them. I don't know how important graves are in that regard. In Tibet they don't have graves. The place of death can sometimes be significant also.
    Donations to monastics who paractise for the deceased is said to be very good. I know of Ayang Rinpoche as being a particularly well qualified and known for the practice of phowa for deceased as well as for practices of Buddha Amitabha. I also know in Rigpa you can donate for prayers and practices which are done both in Rigpa as well as monasteries in India/Nepal.
    Prayers and mantras of Amitabha are good to do. E.g Aspiration of Sukhavati www.nic.fi/~laan/sukha.htm.
    If one is well accomplished in meditation, one can practise and invite the person into the atmosphere of the practice. You can dedicate any spiritual practice to them (nothing violent etc).
    Undertake or commission virtuous acts and dedicate the merit to the person. Give gifts to charity on their behalf or from their funds. Give some of their possessions to charity.
    Family and friends of the deceased should try not to quarrel or speak badly of the deceased. Avoid divisiveness etc over their estate or possessions. Try to have loving, peaceful thoughts and wish the person well.

There are probably other ways to support the deceased. Hopefully these are some of the main ones in a Tibetan tradition.

Advertisement