Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Heroditas

L1011 wrote: »
    I do intend to buy a burger mould at some point so its quicker to do them in bulk; have a many hundred quid Nisbets order waiting to go in already though.

I bought one many years ago and it was one of the cheapest yet best kitchen implements I have. It helps with a consistent shape and thickness which helps cooking them evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭.red.

Thargor wrote: »
    The Alesto chili coated peanuts are amazing.

The paprika ones are just as nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This may be of interest to fellow Lidl shoppers

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482448&page=134

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭.red.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    This may be of interest to fellow Lidl shoppers

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482448&page=134
    Unless I'm missing something, that's this thread, just 12 months back?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jazz_jazz

.red. wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, that's this thread, just 12 months back?

It's like inception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The Freshona Coconut Milk is amazing. 91% coconut extract, so it's really thick and creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

pigtail33 wrote: »
    The Freshona Coconut Milk is amazing. 91% coconut extract, so it's really thick and creamy.

Is there any difference to coconut milk in a tin / carton?

Is it still stored in the fridge once opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PopTarts wrote: »
    Is there any difference to coconut milk in a tin / carton?
    You might be confusing it with coconut water or some sort of dilute coconut drink. This stuff is used in cooking like for curry. In the can it will be liquid an a solid mass and quite high in fat.

I know some people might dilute it to make a drink though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The XXL bag of Salted crisps are nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Thargor wrote: »
    The Alesto chili coated peanuts are amazing.

Got the honey and salt coated peanuts and cashews. They were pretty good alright...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A pity they don't do the loose roasted almonds any more.

I like my nuts unadulterated, so just get that brand of plain nuts. Great value.

Haven't seen the chili ones, but just a bit worried about how addictive they might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Can anyone tell me which are the best oven chips in Lidl? I don't use them so have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

They are all decent... If you prefer a particular style like steak cut or French fry then go with that... Personally I think the straight cut ones in the green bag are the best all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Not sure if they've been mentioned before, they were new to me.

Frozen oven chips dipped in beef dripping. Mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me which are the best oven chips in Lidl? I don't use them so have no idea.

The green bag of homestyle fries are about as close to chips from a deep fat frier as I can get from my airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone remember Lidl doing a thick balsamico vinegar for salad dressing as part of their italiamo range? Do they still do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If it's the ersatz balsamic reduction in a squeezy bottle you mean, it's only in every so often as a special, it's not part of their everyday range.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Dunnes sell a similar balsamic glaze. The brand is Monini. Great on salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The frozen hot wings are decent. Handy to just throw in the oven.

• Advertisement

Yay Alpenfest!

Got some schnitzels (and lemons), some types of sausage, smoked cheese and sauerkraut!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The frozen hot wings are decent. Handy to just throw in the oven.

I like the very hot ones. I tried the chilled breaded ones that were also extra hot and they weren't as nice.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yay Alpenfest!

Got some schnitzels (and lemons), some types of sausage, smoked cheese and sauerkraut!

I love smoked cheese and bratwurst. Was in there last night and didn't spot any, they must have come in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

They have begun to stock their Christmas stuff, I noticed last week.

I didn't buy any of the overtly Christmassy stuff just yet, but I couldn't pass by a nice bar of marzipan and a box of the Cherry Liqueur and Alte Excellenz liqueurs, of which I have a great fondness! :) I believe that they have been selling these liqueurs since (at least) opening here in Ireland and that the packaging has remained unchanged.

They're doing Spice Boxes now. I bought one so will report back when I've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

They're doing Spice Boxes now. I bought one so will report back when I've tried it.
    The one in Aldi is poor enough, less veg in it than a takeaway has!

megaten wrote: »
    The one in Aldi is poor enough, less veg in it than a takeaway has!

I tried that one. I added my own veg because there was one sorry excuse for a piece of pepper which incidentally fell on the floor. Hopefully this one is a bit better. The onions peppers and chilies make it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So I read on Reddit that Lidl's Toffee Yum Yums are the stuff dreams (and heart attacks) are made of. Can anyone comment? My one never seems to have any when I'm in there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So I read on Reddit that Lidl's Toffee Yum Yums are the stuff dreams (and heart attacks) are made of. Can anyone comment? My one never seems to have any when I'm in there.

They are a lovely thing. Bag of four for two euro, kinda like a choux pastry with a toffee filling. Almost always reefed off the shelf. Weirdly they seem to come refrigerated like they are thawing on the shelf.

I like the new roasted hazelnuts. Sold in the bag.
    Decent value.

I wish they brought back the by weight roasted almonds though, they were great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Finally got around to trying the Henry Hippos.They're a great substitute for percy pigs!
    I'd missed them as a treat on fridays since beginning to work from home.

Advertisement