Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

@ The Nal...... When did you order yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Rob2D wrote: »
    Oh no you guys, help!

I ordered my Ooni Fyra ages ago with the intention of learning everything while I wait. Of course, I immediately began procrastinating and to this day have learned nothing. So my Fyra showed up yesterday and now I need to know what to buy to get cooking.

Can I get everything in Dunnes???? I know I need special flour, yeast and whatnot. Is the little basic recipe in the booklet OK to start with???

Yes, you can get strong flour in Dunnes (for higher protein content) and either get instant dry yeast in Dunnes, or your local polish shop will likely have fresh yeast, which I have found to be miles ahead of dried. You will need salt from Dunnes and then the only one you might have trouble with is water... I always forget to buy water!!

Ooni have the normal dough or quick dough recipes on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bassfish wrote: »
    @ The Nal...... When did you order yours?

May 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The Nal wrote: »
    May 20th

From the main site? Fup sake! I ordered min on the 5th of May and no sign!

Bassfish wrote: »
    From the main site? Fup sake! I ordered min on the 5th of May and no sign!

Main site yep. Did you order the Fyra?

What are people using as tables to cook on? Just normal garden tables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Wh at are people using as tables to cook on? Just normal garden tables?

I'm using this (in the graphite colour).

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62620/Keter-Unity-Outdoor-Kitchen-Portable-Barbecue-Station

I have the Koda 16 and it's a little too small for it so I've two rectangular wall tiles sitting on top of it as a hack so it fits. I use this as a cover and I bought a second one to cover my Weber Spirit BBQ.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VS4XWKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I find I’m cooking pizzas on my knees with the garden table its on. Going to build something so the oven is around chest height. Now I just have to get the finger out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Going to build something so the oven is around chest height.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-bar-table-outdoor-brown-stained-50288042/ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Main site yep. Did you order the Fyra?

What are people using as tables to cook on? Just normal garden tables?

I got these in Ikea and they are perfect for it

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-trolley-outdoor-brown-stained-s49048406/

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-storage-cabinet-outdoor-brown-stained-s99129990/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Oh man I didn't realise you need hardwood pellets. My plan was just to steal some from the heating :pac:

• Advertisement

For the moment am using my Weber smoker as a table. Ooni fits perfectly. "Cleaning" it now at 490c!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Oh man I didn't realise you need hardwood pellets. My plan was just to steal some from the heating :pac:

Im using heating pellets with no problems, it always gets up to high temperatures. Staffords is the brand and Woodies stock it, 9.99 for 10kg which will last you ages. I think Ooni sell "food safe" pellets but they are in small quantities of 3kg and expensive.

Make sure they’re food safe. Some are bound together with glue and resin and all sorts of crap.

Cant comment on other brands but on the Staffords ones it says on the bag "100% wood pellets, no glue or binders". Its actually 15kg too, not the 10kg I said. Great value for 9.99, Im still on the same bag since late last summer.

Anyone reading this on the fence about buying one (Ooni), do it.

First run tonight. Ooni Fyra. Unlike Liam Neeson, I do not have a particular set of skills, but, wow.

IMG-20200711-204124.jpg

Pipmae wrote: »

Cool idea, but its still too low at 1m high. I get a pain in my hole, well my back, bending down to cook pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Cool idea, but its still too low at 1m high. I get a pain in my hole, well my back, bending down to cook pizzas

Try having your koda on a coffee table half the time!! :mad:

I want an outdoor covered kitchen like you see on the Ooni UK Page, is that too much to ask?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

First go in the koda. I made flammkuchen to use up some of the XL lardon packs that I bought in lidl. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Because it cooks so quickly, all meat on an Ooni pizza should be cooked beforehand.

Discuss?

Because it cooks so quickly, all meat on an Ooni pizza should be cooked beforehand.

Discuss?

Yup. Unless its very very thin pancetta or something.

• Advertisement

Would think that if using something like chicken then it should pre cooked. Likes of pepperoni, salami, etc tends to be cured and cooked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beansys

If anyone is thinking of selling their Ooni please let me know as i am looking for one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Discuss?

I'd even say that for any pizza, at all, meat should be cooked (or cured) beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd definitely try a bite of Steak Tartare or Carpaccio pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

If anyone is thinking of selling their Ooni please let me know as i am looking for one.
    @beansys, I have sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I had my second go on the koda after world's ugliest flammkuchen. I made Dan Lepard"s beer dough. Next time I will add extra beer as I have been making sourdough for a while and don't mind working with high hydration. It was gorgeous with some nduja.

Lidl are selling those bbq lighters made from compressed wood shavings from this Thursday 16th. 32 lighters in the pack for €2.49

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

These ones seem to be permanent stock for the summer. I've found them very good, two gets the Karu going in minutes. One would actually be enough I'd say.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq-food/barbecue-lighters/p41622

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I had my second go on the koda after world's ugliest flammkuchen. I made Dan Lepard"s beer dough. Next time I will add extra beer as I have been making sourdough for a while and don't mind working with high hydration. It was gorgeous with some nduja.

That's our usual pizza dough and we've never had a bad result from it. Works just as well with non-alcoholic beer too, if you don't want to waste the good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

any Ooni discount codes working? I'm thinking ill place an order for they Fyra

Advertisement