Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tropple

Shlippery wrote: »
    Have they finished that Grangegorman plaza yet actually near the luas?! haven't gone that direction in the past few days but looked like it was nearly finished...(after a loooooooooooong time)

It seems to be finished, but not open yet. I think they might working on lighting / landscaping at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Wasnt there supposed to be a hotel being built on that whole section from Lorettas to the old cinema?

Apparently so. The space extends way back and, last I heard, it was going to be a Hotel - possibly a Jury's.

The empty and dilapidated Tony Murray Display store is for sale separately and seeing as that goes back into the grounds of this new hotel I cant understand why the developers haven't bought it too and availed of more space.

Does anyone know why Doyle's Corner isn't back open yet? Not a peep out of them on Facebook and they would be suitable to reopen now as a restaurant and serve food. Also I'd like if Kennedy's reopend, I need a Pastrami melt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

It'll be interesting to see if anything ever comes of the place for let beside Camile and Rua. The stretch of vacant shops in between McDonalds and the estate agents would be great to see get filled with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Interesting that Knight Frank are handling the sale. They're also selling the Tony Murray Displays site. It's a fantastic development opportunity for the village but will probably end up as student accommodation unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Traffic seems to have got so much worse through Doyles corner since they changed the traffic light sequence to allow pedestrians cross all sides at once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Traffic is really bad there for the last few months now when the city elsewhere is a breeze. Not good for the future alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

This was shut soon after the old man died. Not sure why, as they spent a lot of money on it only a couple of years before.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Traffic seems to have got so much worse through Doyles corner since they changed the traffic light sequence to allow pedestrians cross all sides at once

On the flip side, crossing the road here has become a lot safer. Even though people continue to break the red light, the delay in time from Red Man to Green Man, and the inclusion of being able to cross diagonally, is much better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It was also an ice rink in the late 90s when I lived there. Silver Skate rink I think it was called.

• Advertisement

hankless wrote: »
    On the flip side, crossing the road here has become a lot safer. Even though people continue to break the red light, the delay in time from Red Man to Green Man, and the inclusion of being able to cross diagonally, is much better imo.

I agree that its much better and safer as I often walk that way but I think they need to have it green longer for cars both ways as well. Both lanes are backed up to at least the church between 8-7 most days it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I agree that its much better and safer as I often walk that way but I think they need to have it green longer for cars both ways as well. Both lanes are backed up to at least the church between 8-7 most days it seems

The longer green time you give to traffic, the longer pedestrians have to wait.

Pedestrians are now the priority,.and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

The signalling time changes have made the village much more pedestrian friendly. Giving pedestrians priority at lights has really highlighted the volume of traffic snailing through Phibsborough at all hours of the day. Surely the next step for the council has to be reducing that traffic flow. I'd love to know what the air quality is like at the moment. It can't be good for those of us living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ongarboy wrote: »
    It was also an ice rink in the late 90s when I lived there. Silver Skate rink I think it was called.

I used to go there every Saturday, a coach would pick is up from Swords and take us there for two hours. It cost 3 quid each. Them were the days!

Zipppy wrote: »
    The longer green time you give to traffic, the longer pedestrians have to wait.

Pedestrians are now the priority,.and rightly so.

I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

Example rough guess Current system:
    1min north/south cars
    1min east/west cars
    1min pedestrians
    Repeat

That means pedestrians have to wait 2min

It would be better for traffic if it was:
    2min North/south cars
    1min pedestrians
    2min east/west cars
    1min pedestrians
    Repeat

The above would mean the exact same wait time for pedestrians but long times for the backlog of traffic to ease. The quick changing of lights as is means traffic has to stop and wasted time while another direction has to start moving again. The more this happens to more slowly traffic moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

Agree fully with proposal, however there's one issue.
    DCC now have a policy of 'feck the cars'...let them queue.
    If you frustrate enough car drivers and keep them stuck in traffic, the hope is that it'll force them to cycle / walk.
    Obviously the problem.here is that so many live to far away to cycle or need to drive because of work or perhaps age/disability.
    Policy wont work and city will become a ghost town..

Beersmith wrote: »
    I
    don't think they are mutually exclusive.

Example rough guess Current system:
    1min north/south cars
    1min east/west cars
    1min pedestrians
    Repeat

That means pedestrians have to wait 2min

It would be better for traffic if it was:
    2min North/south cars
    1min pedestrians
    2min east/west cars
    1min pedestrians
    Repeat

The above would mean the exact same wait time for pedestrians but long times for the backlog of traffic to ease. The quick changing of lights as is means traffic has to stop and wasted time while another direction has to start moving again. The more this happens to more slowly traffic moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know of a local electrician who might do a few small jobs in the house for us? Moving a few switches, new sockets, putting up some lights, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Does anyone know why they blocked the Rathdown to Grangegorman Lower road with giant flower pots and bollards? I got stuck making my up from Smithfield this week and it was bizarre. The road is very wide so doesn't make sense to cut it off as a cyclist/pedestrian through-way.

It seems a bit daft to have cut off that through way for locals, pushing them to add to the traffic madness on Constitution Hill/Phibsboro centre, or back out via Stoneybatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

On a positive note, it's great to see Lorettas back open. Food better than ever on Friday night, our first venture into a restaurant since the world changed.
    And yes, we felt safe, good social distancing etc. Might do it again soon.

• Advertisement

I see the old cinema for sale, was there not supposed to be a hotel going in there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never applied for permission for the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would be nice if the NCR was bus and bike only between Mr Tubbs and Two boys brew. There would be one bus lane and one cycle lane per direction and an additional 2m of footpath on both sides, enough to introduce outdoor seating. The car lobby would be mad but sure look they're always mad. Something has to be done for the orbital bus corridors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Pedestrian killed outside Tesco earlier in a road traffic accident. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Woodstock still under massive renovations..seem to have timed it 'just right'...seems they've rebranded as 'Monck's Place' - hoping still the same people involved.

Great spot for a carvery / coffee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Shlippery wrote: »
    Woodstock still under massive renovations..seem to have timed it 'just right'...seems they've rebranded as 'Monck's Place' - hoping still the same people involved.

Great spot for a carvery / coffee!!

It is.

Phibsboro back on the list of TimeOut's '40 Coolest Neighbourhoods'

The list doesn't mean a lot, but it's nice to see and I do agree with this point in particular from the article:

'While the pandemic has hollowed out parts of Dublin city centre, this northside area has valiantly weathered these truly bizarre times'

Yeah doesn't mean anything. The just got amy o Connor whoever she is as the irish contact to pick somewhere in Ireland. She probably just happens to live on the Northside.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Yeah doesn't mean anything. The just got amy o Connor whoever she is as the irish contact to pick somewhere in Ireland. She probably just happens to live on the Northside.

Yeah, I thought that too. The site says over 40,000 people voted, so I'm not sure exactly how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In fairness it is a great area, I've always loved it, as a kid the floodlights and shopping centre looked so huge when going to Bohs games.
    Lots of wealthy people have been buying the redbricks for a while now, I know of 2 barristers anyway and a former boss of mine that did. No idea of rent prices around there but I would imagine they are astronomical these days. It's a bit like a grittier Northside Ranelagh or Rathmines, which is my kinda place.
    I would give anything to live there but unfortunately people like myself who live alone could never afford it, so I'm marooned in drab suburbia!

Advertisement