Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It's not a rumour. I know what I heard from the trusty people.

The depot manager doesn't go to the terminus for a just a friendly chat with drivers.

Also when I said the 7 , that included the 7A too

No but just because the depot manager in Donnybrook was speaking to the drivers does not mean that the route is due to go out to tender. I will believe it when I see it. I'm not saying it's complete bullsh1t either I'm sure it's possible but it's far from something that's definitely going to happen in the near future. Until I see something more clear cut I will take it with a pinch of salt.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if it does go out to tender there is no guarantee that Go-Ahead will win it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GT89 wrote: »
    No but just because the depot manager in Donnybrook was speaking to the drivers does not mean that the route is due to go out to tender. I will believe it when I see it. I'm not saying it's complete bullsh1t either I'm sure it's possible but it's far from something that's definitely going to happen in the near future.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if it does go out to tender there is no guarantee that Go-Ahead will win it.

Thank you, the NTA will not give it to GAI, it will go to tender. DB in theory could win that tender. Its two routes that overlap. Several small operators could make an attempt at winning the tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I've also noticed that when the 7 terminates at parnell in the evenings, a lot of drivers go straight on to OCS to start the route back out instead of going around to pick up at the official first stop on Mountjoy Square

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think part of the problem here is the timetable/real time is still set for pre corona times. So if a bus is giving 45 min say to get into the city it's maybe no with much less traffic only taken 25/30. So some drivers could well be leaving a few min late and still getting in way early. Does Not make it right but would help explain it.

I think it's silly the NTA expecting buses to operate at a much slower speed due to less traffic. I mean one of the few advantages buses have over the dart or luas is when traffic is low they can get in much faster, and say someone who normally gets a 07:20 in busy times could get away with getting a 07:40 bus when traffic is not bad. But if the NTA get there was the bus will be going at the slowest speed regardless of the traffic.

Well it would be a very poorly thought out decision to start changing timetables now in order to reduce running times at a point when traffic is returning to pre covid levels. Although we may see a trend which would be positive for public transport of a shift away from rush hour commuting as workplaces stagger hours.

If a route is constantly running early due to having too much running time then the timetable should be looked at and changed to reflect this. Traffic levels can be highly unpredictable. High frequency cross city routes should be running to system of even headway where by rather than having a strict timetable with timing points buses should be spaced out at 5, 7 or 10 minute intervals or whichever frequency the route is.

If a bus gets too close to the bus in front then the driver will be instructed to pull in and wait or slow down. This mitigates the possibility of bus bunching. Unfortunately it is a fact of public transport that sometimes some passengers will have to be put out for the benefit of the service as a whole. It is my belief that I would rather be on a bus that drives going slowly or has to pull in for a short period than wait 30 mins for a bus that's supposed to have a 10 minute frequency only for 3 to show up at once.

p_haugh wrote: »
    I've also noticed that when the 7 terminates at parnell in the evenings, a lot of drivers go straight on to OCS to start the route back out instead of going around to pick up at the official first stop on Mountjoy Square

I believe there have been issues with anti social behaviour at Mountjoy Square so that may be the reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Also in any of my posts I never said it would go to go-ahead.

Just up for tender. Anyone's guess who.

Well all the drivers that were spoken came back saying the same thing. That the times on the road were bad and the NTA are not happy. The manager went out and clearly explained that to the drivers. Said if they don't get their act together the route would go up to tender.

I very much believe it, its my old depot, one of my old routes and the same manager I had when I was there.

It's not a rumour or hearsay or bollox at this moment in time. I thought it to be a rumour a few months ago but then it got confirmed for me.

I believe there have been issues with anti social behaviour at Mountjoy Square so that may be the reason
    I'm aware of that yeah, that's why they lay over on Parnell Square instead of Mountjoy. Usually they drive round to the stop on Mountjoy Square West a few mins before the scheduled time

Also in any of my posts I never said it would go to go-ahead.

Just up for tender. Anyone's guess who.

Well all the drivers that were spoken came back saying the same thing. That the times on the road were bad and the NTA are not happy. The manager went out and clearly explained that to the drivers. Said if they don't get their act together the route would go up to tender.

I very much believe it, its my old depot, one of my old routes and the same manager I had when I was there.

It's not a rumour or hearsay or bollox at this moment in time. I thought it to be a rumour a few months ago but then it got confirmed for me.

I was correcting another poster who seemed to assume that the route would go to GAI if it was put out to tender not targeting you.

Look it could very much possible that the NTA spoke to DB about routes that haven't been performing to their targets. But translating that to the routes are going out to the tender in the near future when there is no evidence from numerous reputable sources to support is a rumour which I would take with a pinch of salt especially when Bus Connects is likley to mean big changes across the entire network

It is a possibility that all DB routes could go out to tender in the coming years that is something I do know. Another thing I do know is that people and I am sure that includes management in DB and the NTA can say things in order to get their point across.

So far sticking to official sources I have heard nothing apart from what you have said that suggests that the route 7/a or any other DB route for that matter is due to be put out anytime before the current direct award contract expires in 2024. When I see some more information to back it up I start to believe it but for the time being I would class it is as a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are the 5 new SG's being delivered to GAI this year in the blue & yellow livery for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are the 5 new SG's being delivered to GAI this year in the blue & yellow livery for now.

How do you mean?
    It's the last batch, no more sg as Wright lost the contract, next batch are hybrid Alexander chassis.

• Advertisement

How do you mean?
    It's the last batch, no more sg as Wright lost the contract, next batch are hybrid Alexander chassis.

I know it's the last batch of SG's. I wanted to have this information verified. I hope you're OK with that.

A post from ax586 in the bus photo thread on boards last week mentioned there were 5 SG's going over to GAI this year.

He got the info from reading the Ireland update page in Buses Magazine.

I would assume these buses are part of the last batch of SG's from Wrights. They are not extra buses being delivered.

I know it's the last batch of SG's. I wanted to have this information verified. I hope you're OK with that.

A post from ax586 in the bus photo thread on boards last week mentioned there were 5 SG's going over to GAI this year.

He got the info from reading the Ireland update page in Buses Magazine.

I would assume these buses are part of the last batch of SG's from Wrights. They are not extra buses being delivered.

Jaysus chill lad, I wasn't been hostile....

They were mostly built from what I heard and were part of the contract, obviously they had to be fulfilled by the new owners, JCB isn't it.....

I believe summer hill has the last ones as seen them on the 16

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

devnull wrote: »
    The NTA absolutely should throw the book at any operator doing that.

The above paints Dublin Bus drivers in extremely poor light and is completely unacceptable. It basically says that the driver returning to the depot early is more important than ensuring that absolutely every person waiting for a bus on that timetabled departure is able to avail of it. It shows a complete lack of customer focus, the kind of practices I thought DB had eradicated.

Unless a driver is able to see every single stop remaining on a route using cameras at the stop, how do they know for sure there is nobody waiting? They might presume that because they have never seen someone there in recent days or weeks it's a safe bet, but what happens to poor Mary who, following lifting of restrictions wants to go to visit her relatives for first time and finds the bus doesn't arrive, is it her fault because she wasn't there the week before?

Dublin Bus are paid by the NTA to run a certain number of services on a certain number of routes in full and should be doing so because that is what their contract says. If they do not wish to do so then they are in breach of contract. It's an open and shut case so it's no wonder they have been taken to task over it.

There are mechanisms in NTA contracts to claw back funding where companies have not delivered the appropriate kms operated and I imagine that is what is happening here. Not driving to the last stop is only really forgivable if you get to the last but one stop and the bus is empty.

Hold your horses, The NTA are the unreasonable ones.
    Number 7 bus with ZERO people on board heading up to Cherrywood, one last stop at up near the LUAS, no one on board driver instead of heading up to terminus with NO ONE on board take a right turn onto N11 and goes back to depot to finish.
    145 going to Heuston, no one on board, driver take a turn at the bridge outside Huston and heads back down Victoria quay to go back to depot.
    The NTA see this as cutting a route short, despite ZERO passengers on board heading to the last stops, and the fact that a bit of diesel is saved, its NTA madness that is the problem.
    But dont let it stop you having a dig at DB.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think part of the problem here is the timetable/real time is still set for pre corona times. So if a bus is giving 45 min say to get into the city it's maybe no with much less traffic only taken 25/30. So some drivers could well be leaving a few min late and still getting in way early. Does Not make it right but would help explain it.

I think it's silly the NTA expecting buses to operate at a much slower speed due to less traffic. I mean one of the few advantages buses have over the dart or luas is when traffic is low they can get in much faster, and say someone who normally gets a 07:20 in busy times could get away with getting a 07:40 bus when traffic is not bad. But if the NTA get there was the bus will be going at the slowest speed regardless of the traffic.
    NTA want the buses to stick to pre covid times, despite the difference in traffic and passenger numbers, the buses would have to craw out the road, if they are not happy why not use a Covid timetable?

engleburt wrote: »
    Hold your horses, The NTA are the unreasonable ones.
    Number 7 bus with ZERO people on board heading up to Cherrywood, one last stop at up near the LUAS, no one on board driver instead of heading up to terminus with NO ONE on board take a right turn onto N11 and goes back to depot to finish.
    145 going to Heuston, no one on board, driver take a turn at the bridge outside Huston and heads back down Victoria quay to go back to depot.
    The NTA see this as cutting a route short, despite ZERO passengers on board heading to the last stops, and the fact that a bit of diesel is saved, its NTA madness that is the problem.
    But dont let it stop you having a dig at DB.

Are bus drivers allowed do that?

It's nothing more than a rumour at this stage

Its no rumour
    Managers up at the terminus regularly , saying NTA want to take it away.

Radio: Right drivers , bit of aggro around at Mountjoy square so we are out of it for the rest of the night.

The simple answer is usually the correct one, dont look for a conspiracy where none exists

Are bus drivers allowed do that?

Why would it be banned?
    No one on board
    No more stops to pick anyone up at.
    Save a bit of diesel by not going all the way
    Why does NTA have a problem with it?

Why would it be banned?
    No one on board
    No more stops to pick anyone up at.
    Save a bit of diesel by not going all the way
    Why does NTA have a problem with it?

No need to be confrontational I was just asking the question mate

No need to be confrontational I was just asking the question mate

Just answered , no need to be thin skinned mate

• Advertisement

Just answered , no need to be thin skinned mate

Ok thanks and I'm far from thin skinned

Jaysus chill lad, I wasn't been hostile....

They were mostly built from what I heard and were part of the contract, obviously they had to be fulfilled by the new owners, JCB isn't it.....

I believe summer hill has the last ones as seen them on the 16

Sorry mate. I didn't want to be hostile either. I didn't want to create confusion.

A number of Dublin Bus AXs have been sold to Go-Ahead. It's unclear if GAI are going to use them as trainers or use them for revenue service as back up buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

A number of Dublin Bus AXs have been sold to Go-Ahead. It's unclear if GAI are going to use them as trainers or use them for revenue service as back up buses.

Leased to GA

Any confirmation on what their use will be? Have heard various reports of them being trainer, being for service, and even saw someone on Facebook saying they're for school routes that GAI are going to operate! Will also be interesting to see what livery is thrown onto them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Any confirmation on what their use will be? Have heard various reports of them being trainer, being for service, and even saw someone on Facebook saying they're for school routes that GAI are going to operate! Will also be interesting to see what livery is thrown onto them

I've heard rumours that they've won a schools contract. Also, there are definite plans to add additional capacity to key routes from next month, which will definitely require extra buses because they barely have enough for current levels of service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Are Go-Ahead retrofitting their vehicles with white LED displays?

I've seen both an ex Dublin Bus GT and SG with them today.

devnull wrote: »
    Are Go-Ahead retrofitting their vehicles with white LED displays?

I've seen both an ex Dublin Bus GT and SG with them today.

Something like this?

http://www.dublinbusstuff.com/PhotoWeek/SG471%20-%20Rt66%20-%20WestmorelandSt%20-%20271218.jpg

Wonder is it as display die off theyre now getting these others in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Advertisement