Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loose bathroom taps - back nut spanner.

• 06-06-2020 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've a couple of taps loose in the bathroom and decided to do a DIY job on them. I followed a video on YouTube and bought 1/2 inch brass back nuts instead of the worn plastic ones that were on it. The problem is the brass back nuts are too small for the 27/32mm bank nut spanner available in the shops. I asked in 3 different DIY shops and they all only had the 27/32mm version. One recommended trying a plumbers wrench but I found it difficult to use and couldn't get a proper grip on the nut to tighten it. Has anyone came across this problem at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Try a box spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Try a box spanner.

That's the 27/32mm one I was referring to above but it's too big. For some reason it doesn't fit the 1/2 inch back nut. It's only slightly too big so maybe a 25mm box spanner would do it but none that I can see anywhere are that size (nothing in between 22-27mm that I can see).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 243bigbang

That's the 27/32mm one I was referring to above but it's too big. For some reason it doesn't fit the 1/2 inch back nut. It's only slightly too big so maybe a 25mm box spanner would do it but none that I can see anywhere are that size (nothing in between 22-27mm that I can see).

Hammer in the side of the box spanner abit and then it will fit the nut. A few slaps will do. Works for me.

Advertisement