Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I got myself a Karu and now just need a thermometer gun,any recommendations?

Pretty impossible to find an inexpensive infrared thermometer (about €40) at the moment. I contacted one manufacturer direct a few weeks ago and they told me they were out of stock and to try Amazon! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Pretty impossible to find an inexpensive infrared thermometer (about €40) at the moment. I contacted one manufacturer direct a few weeks ago and they told me they were out of stock and to try Amazon! :rolleyes:

Thats it im finding it impossible to get one,Amazon have some but the delivery times are for next month,Woodies have a Stanley one in stock but its €80 and Screwfix have the same one for €42 but its out of stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Thats it im finding it impossible to get one,Amazon have some but the delivery times are for next month,Woodies have a Stanley one in stock but its €80 and Screwfix have the same one for €42 but its out of stock!

All the sites are buying them to check people’s forehead temp before entering - that and everyone making pizzas! I’ve ordered one and just have to wait the 6 weeks to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wip3out

aliexpress.com make sure to read up on the spec. some only go to 300~C

Anyone tried this from tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Got some of that and some mutti pizza sauce. Both fantastic!!

the moz cuts up into nice little squares for sprinkling, its firm and dryer than normal moz and melts beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

You can get scamorza smoked mozzarella it’s relish, very solid but melts perfectly. Tesco finest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's handy for pizza as it is very firm and doesn't need to be dried out in any way.

It's obviously more processed and plasticky than normal mozzarella, though.

Faith wrote: »
    It's handy for pizza as it is very firm and doesn't need to be dried out in any way.

It's obviously more processed and plasticky than normal mozzarella, though.

Thanks. Is it similar to the ‘fior di latte’ i see on every recipe and can’t get anywhere?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The hard Tesco mozzarella doesn't taste of anything. Creamfields stuff is nice. And cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thanks. Is it similar to the ‘fior di latte’ i see on every recipe and can’t get anywhere?!

Fior di latte is fresh mozzarella made from cows milk. Definitely not the same thing. I’d assume the Tesco one is similar to low-moisture mozzarella but I’ve never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Folks, we love our pizza oven but I am finding it a pain that I need to prep dough long in advance of a pizza making session with the koda. Has anyone got any tips for a spur of the moment pizza session?

Maybe frozen dough, I see pallas does the dough balls or shop bought bases that can be stored?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

How quickly is a spur of the moment job? I make dough that can be used in a couple of hours, or a couple of days. I leave it in a warm spot if I need it quickly, which is usually the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

krissovo wrote: »
    Folks, we love our pizza oven but I am finding it a pain that I need to prep dough long in advance of a pizza making session with the koda. Has anyone got any tips for a spur of the moment pizza session?

Maybe frozen dough, I see pallas does the dough balls or shop bought bases that can be stored?
    Jamie Oliver has a dough recipe which can be frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Even frozen dough will need to be thawed for a few hours and then get up to room temp so you are looking at 4-5 hours.
    Best bet would be ooni same day dough recipe - ready in 3-4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

krissovo wrote: »

I read a recommendation for the Aldi Sourdough ready made bases on a FB page. I haven't used them myself though but I will give them a try when I eventually get my Koda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

would you go for pellets or the charcoal/wood option?

They won't delivery to the Republic of Ireland or Parcel Motel. The click and collect isn't available either.

Pipmae wrote: »
    They won't delivery to the Republic of Ireland or Parcel Motel. The click and collect isn't available either.

I bought one last week using DPD Parcel Wizard and it was dispatched on Monday ,Hermes have it now hopefully ill have it by Friday.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Has anyone found reasonably priced dough trays for proving that will fit in a standard domestic fridge? I currently use individual round food containers but getting the dough out can be a bit tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I read a recommendation for the Aldi Sourdough ready made bases on a FB page. I haven't used them myself though but I will give them a try when I eventually get my Koda.

If you're short of time, I recommend these to use in the Koda. Really crispy crust. :)

I bought one last week using DPD Parcel Wizard and it was dispatched on Monday ,Hermes have it now hopefully ill have it by Friday.

Thanks for this - I've set up with DPD in case the Koda becomes available on Lakeland.:)

Thanks for this - I've set up with DPD in case the Koda becomes available on Lakeland.:)
    If you are on facebook join this group people there post up when lakeland and others have stock.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oonienthusiastsuk/

If you are on facebook join this group people there post up when lakeland and others have stock.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oonienthusiastsuk/

I'm already on it thanks.:D

RonnieL wrote: »
    Has anyone found reasonably priced dough trays for proving that will fit in a standard domestic fridge? I currently use individual round food containers but getting the dough out can be a bit tricky.

Amazon have a great stackable set of 3. 30cm x 40cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 villamar

Would you have a link for the dough tays please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

• Advertisement

carq wrote: »
    Even frozen dough will need to be thawed for a few hours and then get up to room temp so you are looking at 4-5 hours.
    Best bet would be ooni same day dough recipe - ready in 3-4 hours

You can reduce this by defrosting in an airtight ziplock bag in cool water. Changing the water regularly.

Advertisement