Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work Experience

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

NOS3 wrote: »
    Try contacting Met Eireann. A quick Google didn't show anything promising, but if you call them you will find out more.

In regards to music, have you considered going to a recording studio? I can't imagine it being easy to find a placement as a musician or songwriter, but there is probably some similarities with music production. Look into it anyway. Good luck. :)

Do they allow TY's doing these as work experience (Fridays only) though? I already have lots of work experience.

*I forecast me own weather for my area as I am hugely talented at Meteorology as said by plenty of people
    *Babysitter
    *I know about Music Technology simply (so simple DAWs such as GarageBand or Cakewalk's Music Creator, not professional complicated ones such as Logic Pro or Pro Tools) and I can write songs no problem!
    *Write songs as mentioned above - I am in a duet and I also do a solo
    *Promoted my auntie's wheelchair accessible car shop

I can't think of any other work experience but that's all I can think of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

sryanbruen wrote:
    Do they allow TY's doing these as work experience (Fridays only) though? I already have lots of work experience.

The only way to find out is to ask them.

I did my work experience in weekly blocks, but I know that quite a few schools do one day a week placements. If students in these schools found it difficult to organise work experience, I doubt the schools would continue using this system. It works well in most cases, I'd imagine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I have brilliant TY Work experience at my local vets. I now aim in 5th and 6th to study for a veterinary surgeon. I have seen like 5 surgeries and I have enjoyed every single one. My back up if I cant get veterinary would probably be marine biology as in April Im going to experience work in this sector. Good luck to everybody on their work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Saw this and thought someone may benefit from it:

http://www.draiocht.ie/events/month/2016/02

Transition Year Pilot Placement Programme

February 2016

MON 1 - MON 29 FEB 2016

Draiocht are inviting applications from students for work experience this February 2016.

The week-long programme promises to be an engaging experience for anyone with an interest in the Arts. With a concentration on gallery curatorship, you will get an opportunity to learn in a hands-on way, through encounters with artists and art professionals, through learning about exhibition-making, diverse curatorial practices and through visits to Irish arts institutions and buildings. The programme also offers the opportunity to see behind the scenes in Draíocht and its inner workings.

Places on this programme are limited. To apply, you must be available for the selected week and complete an application form that demonstrates a general interest in the arts.

Application forms from Sarah Beirne, Children & Youth Arts Officer, email sarah@draiocht.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Okay I got work experience from Studyclix for next year but that is still not enough to be considered actual work experience. I am happy I got it though because it fulfills my interest of tutoring / teaching. I have listed my interests above in a post ^. Anybody know of any other work experience? Thank you very much if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ineedhelp1

Hi,
    I am a 3rd year student, going into 4th year in a couple of weeks. My class recently had an information evening about TY and the TY coordinator told us to start planning work experience now because places go fast! Just wondering if anybody has any ideas for places in Dublin, specifically around Dublin 13??!!
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Ineedhelp1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a 3rd year student, going into 4th year in a couple of weeks. My class recently had an information evening about TY and the TY coordinator told us to start planning work experience now because places go fast! Just wondering if anybody has any ideas for places in Dublin, specifically around Dublin 13??!!
    Thanks!!

Hi there! I did Ty last year and now would bean ideal time to go around to shops looking for work experience! I did work experience in BT2 on Grafton Street which was pretty fun, it was a block week and you did somethings everyday! I found the email on Google! I also did work experience in Boots in Jervis which was grand, staff aren't the friendliest but sure it's experience! Tommy hilfiger in Liffey Valley gave me experience too which was super hard labour. Try to bring CVS in to places. I know its silly cause it's not an actual job but Employers like that you've put the effort into making out a cover letter specifically for WE.
    A makeup college also gave me experience for a week but I had to drop out due to my TY interview but some other people said it was fun to do!
    Try get in to places that you interested in actually pursuing a career in! I'm thinking about veterinary but didn't do work experience so I'm having a hard time finding a place that will give a fifth year experience.
    Also many small cafes give work experience as it's free labour. Don't expect much as it could just be dishwashing and clearing tables but sure it adds to the Cv! thats how I actually got my part time job, been working there a year now :D
    Lemme know if you need anymore advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

We just got a talk today about our work experience :P . The TY coordinator was pretty much like just write loads of CV's and send them to different companies haha. I wont have a hope of getting the work placement I wanted though :P , I don't know anybody that works in the army or airport, which is the work experience I was hoping for. Does anyone know how I could get about trying to get work in those places? Thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

adamob544 wrote: »
    We just got a talk today about our work experience :P . The TY coordinator was pretty much like just write loads of CV's and send them to different companies haha. I wont have a hope of getting the work placement I wanted though :P , I don't know anybody that works in the army or airport, which is the work experience I was hoping for. Does anyone know how I could get about trying to get work in those places? Thanks! ;)

Google barracks nearest you and send letter or email to whoever's in charge. You don't have to know anyone

Well unfortunately the work experience programme in the airport is all full up :( . Does anybody know any airlines that do work experience for ty? I emailed EI, RYR and CityJet but I got no reply yet. Or if theres anything aviation related I could do? Cheers lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Mater Public only take in people with contacts at the moment (lucky me :) )
    I emailed the Dublin Airport months ago but they're full unfortunately :(
    I'm looking to do an office job since I've got one in a hospital now. I don't really mind where as long as it's in Dublin. Any ideas?

The way it seems is that you need to have contacts in places to get the 'good' placements :P . I was fortunate to have contacts in the air corps so that's something :)

jeonahr wrote: »
    Mater Public only take in people with contacts at the moment (lucky me :) )
    I emailed the Dublin Airport months ago but they're full unfortunately :(
    I'm looking to do an office job since I've got one in a hospital now. I don't really mind where as long as it's in Dublin. Any ideas?

Yeah same we waited too late unfortunately :( . I contacted the Department of Tourism Transport and Sport. They're really good in getting you in the right direction. I called them and emailed a CV, they told me there might be something available in the Coast Guard :) . I'd recommend them if I were you ;)

I'm still pretty uncertain about my work tbh :P . I need two placements aswell as the air corps, that's only one week. My placements are every Friday for 20 weeks altogether (10 weeks per placement). It's quite unusual in my school but I suppose it's something different :P

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

My advice on work experience as someone who's just finished fifth year is use your connections it makes everything far easier you have no hassle with making up a CV or needing to ask months in advance. You may also get a better placement in the same company compared to someone who walks in with a CV.

Anyone have any luck so far getting something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SteinStudy1

Stein Study work experience programme now accepting applicants on our website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShadowKnightz

Any work experience in either:
    Gardai
    Something with cars
    Military
    Fire fighting

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Any work experience in either:
    Gardai
    Something with cars
    Military
    Fire fighting

Thank you :)

Guards and army both take people on as far as I know though only through programmes through schools which you school should have information on.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

For those who have placements one day weekly, Tallaght Hospital offers work experience for those type of schedules as well as full weeks. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Hi all,

So i dont want to go into details of what happened but basically i still have to get 1 of my 2 weeks of work experience. Now i have rang numerous places and may get to work 2 weeks in the same place and will be calling all them back, but just in case none of them accept me would anyone know any places in Limerick or south east Clare that would accept me pretty much straight away? I need the forms handed in by the end of the week so would need to be sure of it tomorrow and i dont care what sort of job i get at this stage. (6th-10th March is the date of my placement.)

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jowlthebowl

Anyone from Cork should try ty.ie for lists of work experience companies. Hopes this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

To try and rejuvenate this sticky, I'm doing my work experience in the primary school counterpart that is right next to my secondary, likely to co-teach the students computers in December, and likely also with the secretary in the secondary school to do IT-related stuff. I was going to work in the primary I went to, but I was only offered one Friday, which is insufficient.

In February, I'll be participating in TCD's Biochemistry and Immunology programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I might also get a place in Intel's Experience Week in Kildare for after Christmas. Probably the one I'm looking forward to the most, along with TCD's Biochemistry and Immunology programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

This doesn't look like a very active forum but if anyone has gotten any leads on good work experience programs being ran by any companies in Dublin then please let me know.

Advertisement