30-07-2020, 17:51   #1666
Grassey

If you look on street view it's the most likely.
Not the best design, but probably the best that can be done cheap and quick with existing islands and layout.
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 14:04   #1667
Zebra3

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/202...cleway-dublin/

Piece there on the Royal canal cycleway in the city centre.

Anyone know when the part close to Intel is getting done?
31-07-2020, 14:20   #1668
Grassey

I think the west Clare rail greenway can be changed from potential to planned now. Yay more orange!
31-07-2020, 16:12   #1669
riddlinrussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassey View Post
I think the west Clare rail greenway can be changed from potential to planned now. Yay more orange!
Which one do you mean? The latest batch of funding specifically was for Kilkee to Kilrush? I suppose I can move the whole thing to proposed though!
31-07-2020, 17:44   #1670
Grassey

I may have misread this, but I took it to mean that funding was for the first part of the longer route from Ennis?

Quote:
The West Clare Railway Greenway project will follow the 85 kilometre route of the old West Clare railway line, where possible, connecting Ennis to Kilrush or Kilkee at a total cost of 20 million euro.
http://www.clare.fm/news/clare-count...lway-greenway/
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 20:36   #1671
Tigerandahalf

I didn't see that in the initial announcement details.
There was info on one from Limerick to Scariff.

Edit: I see it now, 3rd one on the list. It does only say Kilkee to Kilrush on that.

Last edited by Tigerandahalf; 31-07-2020 at 20:40.
31-07-2020, 22:29   #1672
Greaney

The Galway to Athlone Greenway Project Office will hold a series of public engagement events in early August 2020 to give members of the public a first opportunity to discuss the greenway design with members of the design team.

The event details are as follows;
• Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone - Monday 10th August
• Shearwater Hotel Ballinasloe - Tuesday 11th August
• Raheen Woods Hotel, Athenry – Wednesday 12th August
• Loughrea Hotel - Thursday 13th August
• Maldron Hotel, Oranmore - Friday 14th August.

All of the events will take place from 11am - 8pm on each day, offering ample opportunity for the public to participate.
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 15:11   #1673
mr spuckler

Having been down in Athlone twice in last 3 weeks or so I'm disappointed not to be down to attend this consultation next week. Will be really interested to hear feedback if anyone attends.
Thanks from:
02-08-2020, 00:51   #1674
Carawaystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
Anyone know when the part close to Intel is getting done?
The bit from Intel (the level crossing) to Confey was grand a year ago then Waterways made it not-grand, leaving it full of big chippings and a dog rough surface.
Theres a big issue with the connections along the canals *just* outside Dublin being sh1te for cycling.

It's hard to believe at this point that that is just a coincidence..... and not bad faith from WWI
Advertisement
03-08-2020, 18:04   #1675
DaCor

@riddlinrussel I think you can change this one to green - Lough Key to Boyle

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...302662002&z=12
Thanks from:
04-08-2020, 07:59   #1676
Grassey

Good to see some services development happening too in tandem with route development. With the ringroad to open shortly Sallins should become a bit more enjoyable to stop off in.

They have also closed the road to cars on the canal between sallins and Naas every Sunday for the next 10 weeks. Looks to have been a load out this weekend, hopefully it evolves into a fulltime green/quiet way

Development of a “cycle cafe” / bike stop along Grand canal greenway

Quote:
Delighted to confirm that Sallins will receive a grant of €25,000 under the July stimulus package towards the development of a “cycle cafe” / bike stop along the canal in village. Building on the greenway funding, this is another vote of confidence in the project and the area. Having seen the success of such ventures on the wild Atlantic way and knowing the great businesses and amenities we have in the village which can integrate with this, I am really excited about this project moving forward.
(3) thanks from:
04-08-2020, 14:01   #1677
serfboard

Quote:
They have also closed the road to cars on the canal between sallins and Naas every Sunday for the next 10 weeks. Looks to have been a load out this weekend, hopefully it evolves into a fulltime green/quiet way
I just "drove" that section there on Google StreetView. There's no reason that section of road shouldn't be closed off to cars completely. There are a couple of houses which need access, but that could be easily provided by alternative routes.
04-08-2020, 14:13   #1678
Grassey

Barrier at Abbey Bridge to block cars heading North on the East side, and one at Tandy's on the West side [and one more to the south of the Mills] would preserve local access only quite nicely.
04-08-2020, 18:05   #1679
Grassey

Spotted this earlier

Quote:
THE ROYAL CANAL GREENWAY - UPDATE

The Royal Canal runs from Dublin to Longford with a total distance of 146 kilometres. The Royal Canal Greenway will be a dedicated off-road cycling and walking route along the Royal Canal including paving, landscaping, art works and a viewing plaza of the Canal. CCTV and lighting will also be installed along the route.

DUBLIN CITY SECTION OF GREENWAY:

The Dublin city section of the greenway will provide a high quality walking and cycling route of over 7km from the Samuel Beckett Bridge and Guild Street in the Docklands, through North Strand, Drumcondra and Phibsborough and out to Ashtown.

CURRENT STATUS:

Phase 1: Guild Street to Upper Sheriff Street (0.5 Km) – Completed in 2009.

Phase 2: Upper Sheriff Street to North Strand (0.7km) – Completed July 2020

Phase 3: North Strand to Phibsborough, (2.1km) – Detailed design phase. It is expected that construction will begin at the end of Quarter 4 in 2020 and it will take approximately two years to complete.

Phase 4: Cross Guns Bridge, Phibsborough to Longford Bridge, Ashtown (4.3Km) - This project has 4 sub-phases.

Phase 4A involves the introduction of a contra-flow bus and cycle lane over Broome Bridge in Cabra - It is currently in construction and it will be completed by October 2020.

Phase 4B involves main towpath upgrade - It is anticipated that construction will commence in Quarter 4 of 2020, with likely completion in Quarter 4
of 2021. Dredging of the canal will be required for some sections.

Phase 4C involves remainder of towpath upgrade, including 7th Lock/Liffey Junction railway underpass upgrade
AND
Phase 4D (Tolka Valley Park –
Phoenix Park greenway link via Ashtown) are currently in the design stage - A
timeline for the completion of 4C and 4D sub-phases is not possible at present. However, it is hoped that all of Phase 4 of the Royal Canal Greenway will be completed by the end of 2023.

Cllr. Colm O’Rourke
colm.orourke@dublincity.ie
04-08-2020, 18:35   #1680
DaCor

Quote:
Phase 3: North Strand to Phibsborough, (2.1km) – Detailed design phase. It is expected that construction will begin at the end of Quarter 4 in 2020 and it will take approximately two years to complete.
What explains why it will take 2 years to build 2.1km of a greenway?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion