Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think it's 30 years for state property actually, but I don't really think it would apply here, IR would probably have done work on the land even after closing down the line, which would probably constitute use.

The last known train to run the Youghal line was in 1988 IIRC.

They are obliged under some EU directive to maintain the line even if it isn't in use,the only escape clause from it is formally shutting down the line permanently and even then they need to maintain it for 10 years after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

They are obliged under some EU directive to maintain the line even if it isn't in use,the only escape clause from it is formally shutting down the line permanently and even then they need to maintain it for 10 years after that.

Urban legend sadly, and no such directive exists. Where are these buildings on the Midleton/Youghal section? Google maps links please.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Urban legend sadly, and no such directive exists. Where are these buildings on the Midleton/Youghal section? Google maps links please.

Haven't seen them on google maps.

Look at this thread for the remaining answers, it's in there somewhere.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88787610

Haven't seen them on google maps.

Look at this thread for the remaining answers, it's in there somewhere.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88787610

Such as post No.2. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88790474&postcount=2

A lot can happen in 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No they are not, I saw a dutch line closed 5 years ago opened as path and cycle route this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

No they are not, I saw a dutch line closed 5 years ago opened as path and cycle route this week.

A Mullingar-Athlone style arrangement offers the best of both worlds - a greenway on a rolling lease (permissive access) arrangement, where the local authorities take responsibility for maintaining the alignment and protecting the trackbed and IR have an option to take back the route when, and if, required.

Yeah, that's a no brainer really.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Greenway-plan-for-the-former-YoughalMidleton-railway-line-79413c78-0b18-4b94-90dc-dc53b5f0e6d3-ds

"The Youghal track is owned by Irish Rail and they are agreeable for us to make the application. If we are successful, the intention will be to take a long-term lease or licence from them to develop and manage the greenway. Cork County council are very keen to secure a large-scale greenway project for the county, having seen how successful they have been elsewhere. Initially, a number of options were looked at, including the one to Kinsale but that old railway line is predominantly in private ownership. For that reason, the council has decided to focus on projects where the land is in public ownership.”

Muckyboots wrote: »
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Greenway-plan-for-the-former-YoughalMidleton-railway-line-79413c78-0b18-4b94-90dc-dc53b5f0e6d3-ds

"The Youghal track is owned by Irish Rail and they are agreeable for us to make the application. If we are successful, the intention will be to take a long-term lease or licence from them to develop and manage the greenway. Cork County council are very keen to secure a large-scale greenway project for the county, having seen how successful they have been elsewhere. Initially, a number of options were looked at, including the one to Kinsale but that old railway line is predominantly in private ownership. For that reason, the council has decided to focus on projects where the land is in public ownership.”

Final nail in the coffin for that then.

• Advertisement

Final nail in the coffin for that then.
    The retail and hospitality businesses in east Cork won't see it that way, as won't walkers, joggers, dog lovers, young parents with young children, occasional foreign tourists, local tourists, mental health advocates, physical health advocates, schools and anyone with a mind to throw the occasional leg over a bike. Railway preservationists should latch on the teat that keeps giving rather than try and suckle on a dried out mammary.

The retail and hospitality businesses in east Cork won't see it that way, as won't walkers, joggers, dog lovers, young parents with young children, occasional foreign tourists, local tourists, mental health advocates, physical health advocates, schools and anyone with a mind to throw the occasional leg over a bike. Railway preservationists should latch on the teat that keeps giving rather than try and suckle on a dried out mammary.
    From a railway point of view it’s the final nail in the coffin is probably what I should have said.

From a railway point of view it’s the final nail in the coffin is probably what I should have said.

Theres 9k in Youghal and another almost a thousand in Killeagh

I can't see how that could support 25+km of a railway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RHJ wrote: »

hyperloop! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

loyatemu wrote: »
    hyperloop! :pac:

:pac::pac: I'd say the sun will have burned the earth dry before a Hyperloop is seen in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    :pac::pac: I'd say the sun will have burned the earth dry before a Hyperloop is seen in Ireland

that's negative talk - them jackeens get their tunnels and whatnot. Youghal demands a hyperloop!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

loyatemu wrote: »
    Youghal demands a hyperloop!

West=On=Loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd say a more realistic idea is that neither will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD: Greenways please. Hyperloops elsewhere

RHJ wrote: »

It's time for people to realise that blindly accepting the mistakes of the past as set in stone i.e not reopening closed lines is nonsense. Many closures were inevitable but many were colossal blunders - the GNR Derry Road, Harcourt Street, the West Cork lines to name a few.

The Youghal line should be reopened in a planned way with the development of places like Killeagh, Mogeely and Youghal itself. However, it's unlikely to happen with the short termism prevalent in Ireland. Did I hear somewhere that the first fines for not meeting our Greenhouse gas emissions are going to run into hundreds of millions? I did https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/serious-rise-in-irish-greenhouse-gas-emissions-figures-show-1.3306961

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It's time for people to realise that blindly accepting the mistakes of the past as set in stone i.e not reopening closed lines is nonsense. Many closures were inevitable but many were colossal blunders - the GNR Derry Road, Harcourt Street, the West Cork lines to name a few.

The Youghal line should be reopened in a planned way with the development of places like Killeagh, Mogeely and Youghal itself. However, it's unlikely to happen with the short termism prevalent in Ireland. Did I hear somewhere that the first fines for not meeting our Greenhouse gas emissions are going to run into hundreds of millions? I did https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/serious-rise-in-irish-greenhouse-gas-emissions-figures-show-1.3306961

Is increasing the population of Killeagh, Mogeely and Youghal not repeating the mistakes rather than concentrating on increasing the population of Cork City and points closer to Cork City that are already on the already opened line to Midleton?

Is increasing the population of Killeagh, Mogeely and Youghal not repeating the mistakes rather than concentrating on increasing the population of Cork City and points closer to Cork City that are already on the already opened line to Midleton?

Possibly,but not everybody fancies living cheek by jowl with their neighbours in dense housing developments in shoddily built flats/apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Possibly,but not everybody fancies living cheek by jowl with their neighbours in dense housing developments in shoddily built flats/apartments.

So, yes is what you mean. So you want only some of the mistakes of the past to be made, not all, particularly if it means keeping a dream of a railway being reopened?

The NPF sets out the importance of intensifying and densifying(?) development in our Cities, not in tiny towns.

There's no requirement for apartments to be shoddy, the new standards should insist they aren't.

How the hell is a fear of nuclear power irrational? Three Mile Island, Sellafield, Chernobyl and not forgetting Fukushima. Not to mention the waste problem, the cost etc. I take it from your post that you're a millennial - enough said.

How the hell is a fear of nuclear power irrational? Three Mile Island, Sellafield, Chernobyl and not forgetting Fukushima. Not to mention the waste problem, the cost etc. I take it from your post that you're a millennial - enough said.
    Greenways are not a nuclear option for disused railways. Zero carbon commuter solutions, in fact. In most cases the old lines are ill suited for modern rail and new alignments for modern light rail would be a better option. Unless you're one of those rail nostalgics, of course.

• Advertisement

Advertisement