26-05-2020, 07:18   #1486
Grassey

Saw at bottom of DLRCC release:

Ongoing Cycling Infrastructure Projects

dlr received a funding allocation of €10 million from the NTA for cycling infrastructure projects in 2020 and progress continues with these schemes. The following projects are currently under construction: 

Cruagh Wood Greenway - Ballyogan Road to Cruagh Wood (nearing completion)

Got a bit excited thinking wow a greenway to Cruagh Woods... How'd I miss this...

Then looked at the link... What a difference an 's' makes!

cruagh Wood greenway
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2020, 09:11   #1487
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassey View Post
Saw at bottom of DLRCC release:

Ongoing Cycling Infrastructure Projects

dlr received a funding allocation of €10 million from the NTA for cycling infrastructure projects in 2020 and progress continues with these schemes. The following projects are currently under construction: 

Cruagh Wood Greenway - Ballyogan Road to Cruagh Wood (nearing completion)

Got a bit excited thinking wow a greenway to Cruagh Woods... How'd I miss this...

Then looked at the link... What a difference an 's' makes!

cruagh Wood greenway
I know it's not what you were hoping for, but it is an excellent addition to increase permeability in this area. It must be very frustrating to live less than 700m away from a Luas stop, yet have to walk nearly 2.5km to reach one thanks to terrible planning.

Last edited by MJohnston; 26-05-2020 at 10:04.
(4) thanks from:
26-05-2020, 10:01   #1488
Grassey

Oh not knocking that it's great for the area - was discussing with a mate who lives there this morning.

Just my fault for glancing at the headline and 1 + 1 = 3
Thanks from:
26-05-2020, 21:08   #1489
pigtown

Roadbridge have won the contract to upgrade the 40km Great Sounthern Greenway in Limerick to a 3m wide tarmac surface for its length.

Further plans for green ways have been announced by the council

https://www.limerick.ie/council/news...enway-limerick
26-05-2020, 23:04   #1490
Tigerandahalf

What is the story with the train line from Rathkeale to Limerick? Is it still a viable greenway route?

I presume the spurs to Askeaton, Foynes and Glin would be just using existing country roads but with signage.

That area of the country could do with a tourism boost. Outside of Adare there isn't a huge attraction to entice people in.
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 00:07   #1491
marno21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
What is the story with the train line from Rathkeale to Limerick? Is it still a viable greenway route?

I presume the spurs to Askeaton, Foynes and Glin would be just using existing country roads but with signage.

That area of the country could do with a tourism boost. Outside of Adare there isn't a huge attraction to entice people in.
Limerick to Rathkeale (or Ballingrane technically) is part of the Foynes-Limerick railway line which is currently under design work for a potential reopening
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 08:17   #1492
Tigerandahalf

I presume they have some sort of plan to extend it into Limerick city?
27-05-2020, 09:50   #1493
Heartbreak Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigtown View Post
Roadbridge have won the contract to upgrade the 40km Great Sounthern Greenway in Limerick to a 3m wide tarmac surface for its length.

Further plans for green ways have been announced by the council

https://www.limerick.ie/council/news...enway-limerick

This is excellent. Too many greenways just use quarry dust which is not suitable for all bike types. I wish all had a proper sealed surface.
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 09:54   #1494
pigtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
I presume they have some sort of plan to extend it into Limerick city?

https://twitter.com/DanielButlerFG/s...011631106?s=19

They issued a map with the longterm plans. It would be great if they were all implemented
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 12:22   #1495
Tigerandahalf

But what route are they going to use? If not the train line there isn't another ready made route.
I presume one option would be the old Adare - Patrickswell road into Limerick but that wouldn't be a greenway.
Interesting that the Eurovelo route goes along the spur from Rathkeale to Glin via Askeaton. That would presumably get EU funding.

Again you would wonder what route? Isn't a new road spur going in there as part of the Adare bypass? Could there be a greenway run alongside it?

Great to see all these greenways progress.
27-05-2020, 12:59   #1496
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreak Hank View Post
This is excellent. Too many greenways just use quarry dust which is not suitable for all bike types. I wish all had a proper sealed surface.

From a walkers point of view tarmac must make for a miserable, soulless experience. Any greenway I've been on in the UK was surfaced with quarry dust/fine grit - more of the countryside under tarmac doesn't do it for me.
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 13:05   #1497
DaCor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
From a walkers point of view tarmac must make for a miserable, soulless experience. Any greenway I've been on in the UK was surfaced with quarry dust/fine grit - more of the countryside under tarmac doesn't do it for me.
Not really. The whole point is being able to walk/cycle etc away from traffic. The added bonus of tarmac is wheelchair users, those mobility issues, parents with prams etc etc all have a much better experience and can avail of the facility.

As someone who was born with a mild mobility issue, I can tell you firsthand that tarmac is a lot easier to walk on than fine grit etc
(3) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 13:10   #1498
DaCor

Galway County Council sought legal advice on Connemara greenway land access

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/env...y-land-access/

Galway County Council has sought legal advice on gaining access to land for studies related to a proposed section of the Connemara Greenway a Galway senator has said.
Galway Senator Seán Kyne says that studies have been completed on 21km of the 28km stretch of the proposed Connemara Greenway between Galway City and Oughterard.

However Senator Kyne added that RPS Consultants, acting on behalf of the county council, have not been granted access to the remaining 7km worth of the section, meaning that documentation cannot be prepared for a planning application.

Rest of the article at the link
27-05-2020, 13:42   #1499
what_traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
Galway County Council sought legal advice on Connemara greenway land access

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/env...y-land-access/

Galway Senator Seán Kyne says that studies have been completed on 21km of the 28km stretch of the proposed Connemara Greenway between Galway City and Oughterard.
However Senator Kyne added that RPS Consultants, acting on behalf of the county council, have not been granted access to the remaining 7km worth of the section, meaning that documentation cannot be prepared for a planning application.
Wonder what section/sections that is? Oughterard side or City side?
Any idea @DaCor?
27-05-2020, 14:07   #1500
DaCor

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_traffic View Post
Wonder what section/sections that is? Oughterard side or City side?
Any idea @DaCor?
Unfortunately, as there's no complete documents / application for this route because of this issue, it's impossible to know
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion